Shug 15-Nov-22
APauls 15-Nov-22
Shug 15-Nov-22
Catscratch 15-Nov-22
PECO2 15-Nov-22
fuzzy 15-Nov-22
Huntiam 15-Nov-22
15-Nov-22
Looking for some feedback. Last night I was hunting from the ground (my first time at that) and had my target buck come in. I had judged him at 25 yards and shot. My arrow appeared to hit low and on the front part of the front leg just below the humerus bone. The deer ran approx 60 yards and then walked off another 40 yards before I could no longer see. I tried to see where I hit thru my binoculars as he was walking but the grass was just to tall. The buck did have his tail tucked while walking it appeared. I gave it some time and crawled out and found my lighted arrow 5 yards from where I hit him and it was snapped off. Had red blood but no white fatty substance where the arrow was broken. Arrow penetrated approx. 10 inches based on where it snapped off. I let him sit overnight and picked up the trail this morning. I found where he was standing when I shot and looking back to where I was when I shot the deer was 31 yards. Didn't find any blood for 40 yards then followed very little blood on my hands and knees for 125 yards and it has disappeared. I've never shot a deer in the brisket and what I've read is most will bleed heavily and then stop. What little I know is that a brisket shot is not fatal. I have very little blood but arrow might still be in him as I haven't found that either. I'm calling for some help to do a grid search, but was looking for some help as I have no experience with this type of hit.

15-Nov-22
This sounds like a long shot. Tail down twitching plus low and front of the leg. Coupled with low blood flow. I wish you well but am not too optimistic. Do you have a range finder? When I hundreds ground blinds I put orange driveway markers at 25 and 49 yards as references. Good luck.

15-Nov-22
Hard to say. Sounds like your not super confident and where you hit him. You've given him plenty of time. All you can do now assume he is dead look high and low. near and far.

15-Nov-22
Below the humerus I’d think you’re not likely to find it…just above or even through it I’d think yes… There are a couple arteries in that area you could possibly hit but if you had I’d think you would have good blood… Ya just never know 100%

Good luck either way…

15-Nov-22
Low and forward about the only options you have for a kill is heart or where the jugular/carotid go down there. Either one will give you fantastic blood. Failing hitting either of those in that area I don't think that deer will be coming home with you unless you two meet again.

15-Nov-22
Below the humerus I’d think you’re not likely to find it…just above or even through it I’d think yes… There are a couple arteries in that area you could possibly hit but if you had I’d think you would have good blood… Ya just never know 100%

Good luck either way…

15-Nov-22
I think we've all been there (not knowing how good the hit was). My experience has been that even a good hit shot from the ground doesn't always leave a good blood trail. With what you describe I personally wouldn't be real optimistic, but I would do an extensive search anyway just for peace of mind. I would likely check trail cameras in a week or so to see if I had any new pics of him.

15-Nov-22
Good luck finding your buck. Keep us posted.

15-Nov-22
Good luck. Please report in.

15-Nov-22
Low hit = not good

• Sitka Gear