scentman 25-Nov-22
16-Nov-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Based on the calculation that a dog' one year equals 7 years of a human's life, at 13. 9 years, Chase is 91 years old and on his very last leg, so tomorrow Tricia and I have decided to put him down per the local vet, but will bury him in the back yard raspberry garden tomorrow.

What a wonderful dog he has been and I know he has entertained a lot of you in the Yard Hopper Goose series for the past 10 years. Ten months ago I thought I would take him on his last duck hunt but he surprised me by still being around this duck season so I was obligated to take him this year, just two weeks ago for his last and final hunt. While he was unable to actually be at the hunt site, he did help me set up the blind and decoys, and then after the hunt, I threw a duck for him to retrieve which he did in high fashion.

Tomorrow Tricia and I will cry a lot in his memory, over his grave site. We will place a few of his play things and a Senior Hunt Test ribbon he achieved a few years back with him so he will have something to remember the good times in Puppy Heaven.

All of our dogs have been special and all they ask is some loving, and really ask nothing in return but give us their all.

16-Nov-22
Sorry to hear you’re losing a friend. I have a chocolate lab that is currently 13 years and 11 months who’s not going to make it much longer. I’m dreading the day.

Very sorry what you are going through. Sounds like Chase had the best life.

16-Nov-22
Paul, so sorry that you have to put your best friend down. My wife and I have been there too many times outselves with our Labs, and it never gets easier. Remember all the good times, and he will always be with you in some fashion.

We may get a new best friend from time to time, but none of them ever get replaced with the new model.

Condolences to you and the wife.

16-Nov-22
Sad stuff. Thanks for sharing your adventures with him.

16-Nov-22
Paul I am sorry to hear and always enjoyed your hunts with Chase the wonder dog. Remember all the good times!

16-Nov-22
Really enjoyed the adventures of you and Chase over the years. He will be missed!

16-Nov-22
Paul, I'm very sorry to hear this and my heart goes out to you and Tricia.

I know Chase's memory will live on with you both. I always enjoyed you and Chase's Yard Hopper adventures and I'd like to thank you again for sharing them with us.

RIP Chase.

16-Nov-22
So sorry to hear this, Paul. We knew the time was coming, but it’s definitely never an easy thing to do, especially when a pet has brought us so much joy and companionship over the years. Chase has given so many Bowsiters a ton of enjoyment by proxy, plus we still have the ability to relive many of them, with a few simple clicks. Our hearts are with you and Tricia in this bittersweet time. RIP Chase the Wonderdog.

16-Nov-22
Darn - Ol Chase looked pretty good a couple weeks ago when I was there. Sorry to hear.

16-Nov-22
So sorry to hear Paul. Not much can be said to make it any easier. God blessed you with him for some time. He needs him back in heaven now to fetch some geese for him.

16-Nov-22
Paul,

Best wishes for you, Tricia and Chase. Been through it too many times and it never gets easier. I doubt a dog could have had a better family or a better time.

16-Nov-22

RonP's embedded Photo
RonP's embedded Photo
sorry to hear. thoughts and prayers for chase and family. i am fortunate to have two bird dogs laying in my office with me as i type this.

i often look at photos of bird dogs that have come and gone. some good, some so so, but all loved and missed. hoping to see them all on the other side someday.

long live bird dogs and the hunt. all dogs are special, bird dogs are a just a cut above. :)

miss this girl in the photo. she didn't have the best nose or technique, but she overcame a lot, and none worked harder to be successful and please.

16-Nov-22
Will be thinking of you guys tomorrow. Great pictures, looks you gave him a great life.

16-Nov-22
So Sorry to Hear this Paul, I always look forward to reading about his adventures.

16-Nov-22
We had to put our old girl down in August, she was about the same age as Chase.

I know your pain. But you did good by him. It's the price we pay for having them be such a wonderful part of our lives.

16-Nov-22
So sorry to hear Paul. This is never ever. Chase gave us so many stories to follow and enjoy, I can only imagine the immense enjoyment he gave you and Tricia for the last 13 years! Will be thinking about you all tomorrow. RIP Chase the wonderdog

16-Nov-22
As far as lab lives go, Chase won the lottery. Love, a warm place to sleep, hunting trips and treats.

16-Nov-22
So sorry to hear this. I was really hoping to see another yard hopper thread with Chase training your new pup. You stated it so well, all a dog wants is to be loved. Man’s best friend indeed. Even though it is incredibly hard, good on you for knowing when to say when. Many can’t, or won’t, make that decision. Condolences to you and your wife, my thoughts are with you.

16-Nov-22
Dang. That's a kick to the guts. I feel like I know Chase from your posts and I know how much a good dog can mean to a family. So sorry to hear about this. Those are great pics of you and him doing what you love. That top picture of him looking out of the blind is tearing me up. Hang in there Paul.

16-Nov-22
Sorry to hear this Paul, it's a very though thing to put down a loyal friend. Sure enjoyed your stories with Chase over the years. Prayers. RIP Chase.

16-Nov-22
Get tears in my eyes every time I hear threads like this. Doesn’t matter that it’s not my dog. Just brings back memories of when It did happen to me. The one and only thing to dislike about owning a dog is they just don’t live long enough.

16-Nov-22
Sad stuff. Thanks for sharing your adventures with him.

16-Nov-22
Thoughts will be with you Paul. Can’t ever get enough of those loyal, kind souls in our lives. RIP Chase.

16-Nov-22
Man that is rough. We lost our Dolly last year. Condolences to.you and the Mrs.

16-Nov-22

16-Nov-22
All dogs go to heaven ! So sorry for you and Tricia Paul, but you have some wonderful memories. Thanks to your threads of your and Chase’s adventures, we have some too. I won’t miss him as much as y’all will obviously, but I assure you he will be missed on these pages. Thanks for every thread you posted. Gotta go now, getting hard to see.

16-Nov-22

whipranger's embedded Photo
whipranger's embedded Photo

16-Nov-22
Sorry to hear Paul, thank you for sharing him with us. Very hard to say goodbye to a great companion. He will surely be missed.

16-Nov-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I saved this picture because I liked it so much.

The pain is the price of admission for what a good dog gives us.

16-Nov-22
So sorry to hear this Paul. Yes he definitely entertained a lot of us. He lives a great life and you provided that for him. RIP Chase.

16-Nov-22
Man Paul. So sad to hear this!! It's crazy how a grown man can start tearing up over a dog I only know through the internet. Definitely brings back thoughts of doing the same with my lab Jack. They definitely become part of the family. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Chase and you were lucky to have each other.

16-Nov-22
You both have been blessed to have each other.

16-Nov-22
Sorry to hear that Paul. They enrich our lives so much, and always leave way too soon. Our hearts go out to you.

Mike & Cindy

16-Nov-22
Sorry for the loss of your hunting partner. I have enjoyed following your goose hunts together. Mark

16-Nov-22
Sorry to hear. Tomorrow will be a tough day. I know one day i will see all my dogs again. I feel like ive been owned by alot of dogs, not the other way around. RIP Chase

16-Nov-22

Bearman's embedded Photo
Bearman's embedded Photo
My heart breaks when I read stories like this. To some, a dog is a dog. To some, a dog is their best friend. Not many can see the unconditional LOVE a dog can give. Sorry to hear about this Paul.

I had to say goodbye to my VERY BEST friend this past June. So Tough.

16-Nov-22

before he was three years old.
before he was three years old.
one year old
one year old
a few years ago here in Colorado
a few years ago here in Colorado

16-Nov-22
He made a LOT of friends here Paul, thanks for sharing the times with us! RIP Chase

16-Nov-22

Good times for sure and always will be remembered for his rock hard style and ability to learn and adjust. The new pup Teal now 5.5 month old, has some big shoes to fill but he will indeed be up to the challenge. Maybe an up and coming, Teal the wonder dog!!!

16-Nov-22
RIP Chase! Sorry to hear Paul! That’s the only problem with dogs. They become family and we rarely outlive them.

16-Nov-22
Tomorrow will be a tough day for sure, Paul. And you're returning Chase's unconditional love by seeing that his journey ends peacefully and before any unnecessary suffering. Chase will always be an Honorary Bowsite member.

16-Nov-22
Horrible you have to go through that Paul! My condolences.

16-Nov-22
Really sad to hear about Chase. i have really enjoyed your hunts with him that you shared with us. I am 81 years old and have several dogs waiting for me on the other side, I hope. I love dogs.

16-Nov-22
He sure was a good looking lab!

16-Nov-22
Such a beautiful life story and better friend he’s been to you Paul. Embrace his memories.

16-Nov-22
Sorry to hear. It’s tough having to make that decision. You got all you could out of that friend. Unfortunately 13 has been the year for both my previous labs. It does mean they lived a full life which is a great reason to be thankful.

16-Nov-22
I’ve often said one of God’s mistakes was not allowing dogs to live as long as their owners. You and Chase were both blessed to have each other. RIP, Chase.

Matt

16-Nov-22
The phrase " Chase, the wonder dog" has, and always will, bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing your journey together with all of us.

16-Nov-22
One thing for sure, Chase had the best life a dog could have being a part of your family Paul.

16-Nov-22
I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad I got to see him and scratch his ears last week. He lived a hell of a life with you and Trish. RIP

16-Nov-22
There's an old saying.... "The reward for having a good dog is a broken heart at the end"

16-Nov-22
Paul sorry to hear about Chase! He lived a very good life as a dog.

16-Nov-22
Tough day tomorrow. Will be thinking about ya’ll.

I cried like a baby at my last dog’s burial. Had to put him down because of heart worms.

16-Nov-22
Right there with ya Paul...Like you and many others, its the suck we all go through. When its a really good dog, its almost unbearable. You said it best.....the pain is the price for what they return. Good on you and Trish for being the best "parents" Chase could have hoped for!! Teal is in for quite the life.

16-Nov-22
So very sorry for you and Tricia. I look at our 10.5 year old Annie and dread that day. You gave Chase a great life and I am pretty sure he returned the favor.

Cherish the memories!!

16-Nov-22
Very sorry to hear, dogs bring so much to our lives and it is beyond unfair our life spans and theirs don't match up better.

16-Nov-22
Tough day Paul. Thoughts are with you.

17-Nov-22
Gone but never forgotten...a great companionship to celebrate. Rip Chase the Bowsite wonder dog !

17-Nov-22
What an amazing time you all had to share together! He was lucky to have you and you him. Rest easy Chase

17-Nov-22
Sad time for you and the Mrs Paul.

I know I cried hard after I put my 13 1/2-year-old dog down.

Sorry man,

Robb

17-Nov-22
So sorry to hear, Paul. You sure gave Chase his best life. Thanks for sharing some of it with us.

17-Nov-22
The inevitable worse part of having a beautiful friend.sorry for your families loss.just know that your buddy loved all you guys did together.

17-Nov-22
Ugh! So sorry to hear this sad news. It's never easy when the time comes. Thoughts and prayers to Paul and Tricia.

17-Nov-22
Wow, hate to hear the bad news. I dread the day... Take care!!.

17-Nov-22
Paul, I'll be thinking of you and Tricia today. Chase, thanks for taking us along. Truly Bowsite's Wonder Dog.

17-Nov-22
So sorry Paul, I loved reading stories about Chase the Wonder Dog, and always liked when he got a well deserved treat, RIP Chase

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear Paul. He was as good as they get. I'm glad I got to hunt with him a few times and see him once more before he leaves us. Teal is going to be great as well. It ain't as much the dog as it is the trainer ;). I believe a dog is usually a reflection of his owner. Take care

17-Nov-22
So very sorry to hear this. I always loved reading your yard hopper posts, it was very evident how much fun you both had together. Chase was as blessed to have you in his life as you were to have him in yours.

17-Nov-22
Definitely going to be rough for a while, Paul. Be thankful of all the good times you had together and know that he loved you with all his heart.

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear Paul, I've enjoyed the yard hopper series and reading about Chase brings a tear to my eye, a broken heart is an agreeable trade for 13 years of joy.

17-Nov-22
I'm so sorry Paul.

Chase will live forever, in our hearts!

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear this, Paul

17-Nov-22
Sorry for your loss Paul. He was a good one.

17-Nov-22
Paul, I’m so sorry. Been there before, it sucks more than words can explain.

17-Nov-22
So sad to see this Paul. I have cried many tears over my lost ones. Chase was very special. Enjoy the memories!

17-Nov-22
So very sad to hear this Paul, the only problem with dogs is they just don't live long enough. Chase had a wonderful life and took as much from you as you from him, and the memories will last much longer than the heartache of losing your friend and family member. Will be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers, and I'll throw an extra ball for Chase today. God bless my friend.

17-Nov-22
So sorry to hear this. RIP Chase.

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear ... we put our black lab (Sarah) down this year too. She was 13 and experiencing liver and kidney failure. It's a tough decision, but it's best for the dog. Chase looks like a tank (beautiful dog). RIP Chase and Sarah.

17-Nov-22
Sorry Paul. RIP Chase.

17-Nov-22
RIP Chase. You left your mark and definitely your memory on lots of people

17-Nov-22
Dogs are awesome. I love them. As I age, it is becoming I have a lot more in common with a good dog, then I do a lot of people.

It’s hard losing a good dog. It breaks my heart. I’ll pray for you guys. Good Bless.

17-Nov-22
Sorry for your loss Paul. I'm one of the oddballs who have owned dogs and just can't seem to get attached. My wife and daughter love them though. While I don't understand it myself I see it, and I'm sorry for you.

17-Nov-22
Paul, I am sorry to hear. I know you and he had great times together. I had to put down one of my Brittanys this summer. It's like losing part of the family. I am sure you feel the same way.

17-Nov-22
So sorry to hear this Paul. I’ve went through this more times than I care to remember so I know exactly what you’re going through. It’s never easy saying goodbye to a dear friend, but knowing you and Tricia allowed him to have a full, happy, and fun life will hopefully ease the sting. God Bless.

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear RIP Chase

17-Nov-22
Paul, so very, very sorry to hear about Chase. God made those heartache filled tears to remind us that despite all the evil out there, there truly is good on this earth.

17-Nov-22
NOOOOO! I am sorry to read that news. Dogs like Chase are just plain great for the soul. The saddest days of my life have been associated with the loss of a great dog and companion like Chase is for you. Sorry Paul, but you gave him, and received in return, the very best life and forever bond.

17-Nov-22

All went well this morning at 11 am at the local vet office. Prior to that we lifted Chase into the back of the truck and place him in my Jet Sled for easy transport later in the day. They administrated the drug and within a few seconds his eyes were closing and within a minute, the vet stated, "his heart has stopped". I placed my hand on his still warm body and thank him for the gift that he was for over 13 years.

Tricia and I just finished lowering him into the grave in the middle for the back yard raspberry patch. Chase rapped in a sheet, we placed the attached picture, his license tags, a spent shot gun shell and 13 dog treats for use in the after life.

Thank you all for all of your kind remarks. That made this task much more tolerable for sure. Having the new lab pup, Teal, also helped in this transition.

my best, Paul and Tricia and surely, Chase the wonder dog

17-Nov-22
RIP Chase, you were known and loved by more than you could possibly imagine. God Bless Paul and Tricia.

17-Nov-22
Tough stuff for sure. Chase touched a lot of lives and yours was certainly blest to have known him best. A few more treats for the road, very nice. RIP Chase

17-Nov-22
RIP Chase, sad to hear the news and he’ll be missed!

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear RIP Chase

17-Nov-22
Bowsite lost one of its best today. You folks can surely be proud of giving Chase the best life possible. Sorry for your great loss, Bob

17-Nov-22
I am so sorry for you guys. You and Chase will be in my prayers. You guys gave him a great life, and he gave you unconditional love. Cherish those memories and take solace that he is forever free.

17-Nov-22
I'm not crying, you're crying! Godspeed Chase!

17-Nov-22
Paul, sorry to hear that. RIP Chase. I know the feeling.

17-Nov-22
Words cannot express the sadness that you are going through. Chase, like you, will be remembered as one of the bowsite greats. May fond memories replace your sadness.

17-Nov-22
You were lucky to have Chase, and he was lucky to have you. RIP, Chase

17-Nov-22
Sorry for your loss Paul & Tricia!!! Every dog should be as lucky as Chase to have two caring friends like you two. (Written with watery eyes)

17-Nov-22
Brings a tear to my eyes, loosing your best friend is tough, so sorry for your loss. Chase had a great life with you, cherish the memories.

17-Nov-22
Sorry to hear Paul, always enjoyed following his goose hunts. RIP

17-Nov-22
I’ve always said… I’d give 5 of my years to give my dog 5 more. It’s such a short time they are with is. We always want more. Dogs are better than most humans, and most times it’s true. Sorry, Paul. Hugs to ya man!

17-Nov-22
So sorry to hear Paul. I have a love/hate relationship with our furry friends, they just don’t stick around long enough. RIP Chase.

17-Nov-22
Sad news Paul. I’ve followed the Yard Hopper thread every year to see Chase in action. Both of you were blessed with many years together. He was a legend on Bowsite and will be missed.

18-Nov-22
Our Pups, a priceless treasure!

18-Nov-22
Paul, so very sorry to hear this. He has been a wonderful and faithful companion as exemplified in your writings. As with all great relationships, blessed memories are what we have when one leaves.

18-Nov-22
I've not read all the posts, sorry for your loss. I will miss his goose hunting adventures! I'm certain he was a great dog.

18-Nov-22
So sorry for your loss Paul we really enjoyed your threads with Chase and appreciate a fine dog as much as anyone as a few tears roll down my face.

18-Nov-22
Paul, Chase was such a wonderful dog! I enjoyed reading about Chase's adventures and sharing a few with Chase as well. A very friendly hunting partner!

18-Nov-22
Been there and done that many times it hurts to the core when we lost Gunner our 12 year old Lab I almost swore off getting another but almost 6 years later we got a rescue dog we named Smokey not sure who rescued who.Will Rodgers said once “If dogs don’t go to heaven then I’m not going “Take care Paul so sorry for your loss Lewis

18-Nov-22
Rough to read your account of his last moments, Paul. Brought back recent vivid memories of the same end with my best buddy, Trapper, as I petted him in the back of my pickup while the vet injected him. Tough day for you two. Enjoy Teal!

18-Nov-22
So sorry. RIP Chase.

18-Nov-22
So sorry to read this, they're never just dogs. Mine have never really left, because I'll never forget them - a good dog lives on forever! Tough day for sure, but eventually you'll smile because it happened. Enjoy Teal, and the memories of Chase!

18-Nov-22
Oh no! So sorry to read this Paul. They are never with us long enough. RIP Chase.

18-Nov-22
"In the end, the real price of a good dog is a broken heart."

Rudyard Kipling

18-Nov-22
GREAT quote! And 100% accurate.

18-Nov-22
I have gone through it several times and shed a good many tears each time. Its losing a devoted member of the family. So sad their time here is so short. RIP Chase

18-Nov-22
Sorry for your loss Paul. Lots of wonderful memories.

18-Nov-22
I'm very sorry to hear this news Paul. I always enjoyed reading about Chase's adventures with you. And it was nice to get to see him at the Bowsiters get together a couple weeks ago and give him some scratches. I know you and Tricia will cherish all the fond memories.

18-Nov-22
Peace

18-Nov-22
chase had chase had a great life, thanks to you.

19-Nov-22
Thank you and Chase.

19-Nov-22
Sorry for your loss Paul. Losing a great dog is a tough thing.

19-Nov-22
Sorry to hear it Paul.

21-Nov-22
So sorry for your loss Paul. Glad you have so many great memories with Chase!

21-Nov-22
Sorry to hear it Paul. May the lord bring you comfort as you grieve the loss of a best friend.

21-Nov-22
My lab is also named Chase. He is 11 1-/2;years. The dog is the best grouse dog I ever owned, and I have trained pointers for 40 years. Your Chase went over the Rainbow Bridge. You will see him again. God Bless.

21-Nov-22
I'm so sorry Paul. Wish we never had to tell these stories. Somehow it helps us grieve and heal, I think. Sorry you and the Mrs have to go through it.

21-Nov-22
So sorry Paul! I always enjoyed seeing his mug retrieving your geese!

21-Nov-22
Sorry for your loss. You were both lucky to have one another.

22-Nov-22
so sorry to hear this. You gave to him a wonderful life. Losing my dog friends have been the hardest thing in my life but when I am able to see them again it will be such an happy and wonderful thing.

25-Nov-22
I've dug many a hole to bury my dogs (labs) over the years. Its never easy. My sons dog (Olde English Bulldog) will have to be put to sleep soon and I'm not looking forward to that. She has developed bone cancer in her front shoulder joint . We've been told its a common ailment for that breed as it ages. Paul, like I told you several years ago. Chase was one of the finest looking labs that I have ever seen. His Labrador features were outstanding. (Shape of head, tail, front chest, height, size, etc.) RIP old boy

25-Nov-22
I agree BK, he was one of the best looking labs I’ve ever seen. He would be what an artist would paint when painting a Black Lab.

25-Nov-22

well guys, that put a tear in my eye. Here is a pic of Teal, he will be 6 months old on Dec. 6, now weight 50# heading for 72# at maturity in 6-8 month. He is full of piss and vinegar for sure, but smart, unafraid, and bold. I am going to have my hands full with this one. He might look cute here, but look out! my best, Paul

25-Nov-22
Paul, I'm going out on a limb here and say if I or someone on Bowsite needed a babysitter for our pet's, it would be you... your love for nature is obvious.

• Sitka Gear