Bill in MI 17-Sep-23
BoggsBowhunts 17-Sep-23
t-roy 17-Sep-23
rickepanton 03-Feb-24
MA-PAdeerslayer 03-Feb-24
Elk Dog 03-Feb-24
Bill in MI 03-Feb-24
18-Nov-22
Any idea what it would cost to have part of an elk antler, or deer for that matter, made into a ring?

18-Nov-22
No idea on cost, but it would be to fragile once it was cut down to wear.

18-Nov-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
When I bought this one they had antler options instead of the two wood varieties I choose

18-Nov-22

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
I got the elk antler option from Manly Bands. I think it was $249? The base is titanium.

18-Nov-22
I make antler rings on my lathe and it’s not difficult but what I found is that they aren’t as durable as I’d like. The cost really isn’t that bad as most ring making materials are relatively inexpensive. The biggest issue I had was finding antler the correct diameter. Should be easier with elk than it was with whitetail antler.

Craig

18-Nov-22
Jay I got that same ring but with wood inlays . Man we think alike brother lol.

18-Nov-22

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Final design next to extra piece of antler. I can make these or other designs for you guys. I'm a jeweler by trade and have my own store.
Final design next to extra piece of antler. I can make these or other designs for you guys. I'm a jeweler by trade and have my own store.
Trimmed antler
Trimmed antler
cut the antler in 2 pieces and prepping the casting. I designed the casting with a taper so that the antler would press fit into position.
cut the antler in 2 pieces and prepping the casting. I designed the casting with a taper so that the antler would press fit into position.
antler pieces rough fit and epoxied ready for final trimming.
antler pieces rough fit and epoxied ready for final trimming.
Here is one I designed, cast the insert in white gold, and assembled. I pulled a vacuum with thinned resin to fill the natural porosity of the antler.

18-Nov-22
Bill I like that design a lot! That kind of insert would be much easier to work with. Beautiful job!

18-Nov-22
very nice bill!

18-Nov-22
Those are nice Bill, wish I would have known. I’d rather have bought mine from you.

18-Nov-22

Grunter 's embedded Photo
Heres a DIY model. My girlfriends dad found a whitetail shed many years ago. We gave it to the dog. When it got pretty small, i took it and made it into a ring for her. So she thought it was better than any diamond ring i could have bought her.

I used a drill and sand paper. I think it turned out pretty good for a 1st attempt. And she loves it! The rings above are beautiful! Really nice work guys!

18-Nov-22
Beautiful work.

18-Nov-22
Very cool stuff, Bill in Mi!

18-Nov-22
Nice work Bill, wouldn’t mind having one myself. I lost my original one a few years ago, I think it came off in a rubber glove after I gutted a deer but I couldn’t find it. I now wear a cheap one from Amazon. Yours looks much better.

19-Nov-22
Way cool Bill, thanks for sharing...

19-Nov-22
Damn Nice Bill

I've had mine for years.

19-Nov-22
Thanks guys! I was actually looking at manly bands! Bill, very nice!

19-Nov-22
Bill's your man! A true professional and a great guy!

19-Nov-22
Wow, you guys have out did yourselves there, great job, they look fantastic!

ElkNut

12-Sep-23
Bill that is awesome love it.

12-Sep-23
“ The base is titanium.” A buddy of mine is an EMT with a LOT of experience (also Airborne) — he told me EMTs hate Ti bands because they can’t cut them off when they need to.

That can cost you a finger. My band isn’t Ti, but I still leave it someplace safe when my hands are at particular risk of injury.

Just sayin’… Be safe!

12-Sep-23
Heard the same caution about titanium rings.

12-Sep-23
Yes they are almost impossible to cut off but usually you just slid them off the other end because they don't break.I made a ring out of a silver dollar by rotating round and round and you just keep tapping with a spoon and it will start to curve.When done you can read date of ring on inside of ring.My dad did learned this is the military.Kind of like trench art

14-Sep-23

switchback229's Link
Rogue Antler Arts

14-Sep-23
I have a whitetail antler ring…my wife bought it for me… I’m not quite at bills level to make something that fantastic!

16-Sep-23
As a jeweler, I can weigh in with some experience. Titanium rings are easy to cut through with a high carbon steel blade. Ti is pretty malleable and ductile. The confusion and issue is with TUNGSTEN carbide rings which are cheap and as you know really popular. But TC is super hard...in fact brittle. These cannot be cut with the traditional saws EMT's and goldsmiths use for getting a stuck ring off. The trick is to use vise-grips set SLIGHLY tighter than the diameter of the ring. The compression/shear force will cause the tungsten to crack and if done correctly will not squeeze your finger to a dangerous level. In the early days of the alternative metal wedding ring (25 years ago ish) people were losing their fingers because emergency personnel didn't know how to get them off. But...The real bitch are the cobalt/chrome/molybdenum alloy rings that are tough and super hard (the alloy was used in medical implant devices like ball joints etc). These are NOT brittle. It can take an hour with coolant and a dremel-type tool to cut them off.

FYI, in my ring design/build above, the client opted for the white gold tapered sleeve to which I attached two hoops of resin-stabilized (under vacuum) elk antler.

16-Sep-23
Thanks for the info, Bill. Do you have a pic of the finished product of that ring?

17-Sep-23

17-Sep-23

Here you go

17-Sep-23
If I ever find a gal that will tolerate me, I’m gonna be giving Mr. Bill a call!

17-Sep-23
Beautiful work, Bill!

03-Feb-24
Using part of an elk or deer antler for a ring is a unique and cool idea. ?? The cost can vary depending on factors like the jeweler's expertise, the materials used for the ring's base, and any additional customization. It's a good idea to reach out to local jewelers or artisans who specialize in crafting custom rings to get quotes. I'm in the midst of wedding preparations myself, and I've been keeping an eye on unisex wedding bands. They have a distinct, non-traditional vibe that I find quite appealing. What do you think about unisex wedding bands?

03-Feb-24

MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo
MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo
Wife got my this whitetail antler ring, similar to Jaquomo it’s also titanium base but whitetail instead of elk

03-Feb-24
Those are extremely cool. Bill does the customer supply you with the antler? I'm starting to think about having one made.

03-Feb-24
They can and generally have given me sheds or unwanted antlers.

• Sitka Gear