HDE 23-Nov-22
Coondog 24-Nov-22
Coondog 24-Nov-22
WhattheFOC 28-Nov-22
Anchor point 28-Nov-22
Mike Turner 29-Nov-22
Lawdog 29-Nov-22
18-Nov-22
What Bino harness is the best choice out there for a whitetail/tree stand user? Sometimes shot gun as well. Looking for something compact and not too bulky. Was looking at the Leupold ones with the top that flips forward and holds open with a magnet. Also has anyone had an issue with it while drawing?

18-Nov-22
I have a marsupial gear and love it. Have used it on western big game hunts, float trips, driving through national parks, whitetail hunts; if I’m outside and think I might wanna look at stuff I’m wearing it. Has a bunch if attachments available for more storage. My main thing was wanting something with a pistol holster under it that would adapt to different 10mm/9mm pistols.

Another giant pro for me was that this has no magnets, so it won’t interfere with any compass readings you might be trying to get with your phone or compass. It’s easy to open with one hand and flips forward and can be held forward by the bungee straps.

My ONLY concern with this harness is that I’m wondering how long the bungee straps will hold their bungee. I’m hoping forever, because so far this one is flawless.

Make sure (especially for whitetail hunting where you’ll be in trees most of the time) that you get one that has full coverage of your binocular. The one I had before this was relatively “open” on the top and the sides and lots of debris would get in my bino’s. If you have any questions about the marsupial gear harness let me know, I can’t say enough good things about it.

18-Nov-22
Thanks Boggs. Ya mostly tree stand hunting. Not really sure how much I would use it honestly. Just beats having to go into my pack a bunch of times. Shots are under 50 yards unless I am on a field edge which is rare. I can probably get away with just using my range finder to look.

18-Nov-22
Take a look at Rick Young harness. Simple elastic small bungee straps. Can be worn in a multitude of ways. Keeps the binos firm against the chest. This is a simple harness that performs well, had mine for years and if ever gets worn out I will buy another one. It is not a pouch style harness... I just couldn't get used to having a "pack" on my chest, especially when sitting in a treestand.

18-Nov-22

GhostBird's embedded Photo
Rick Young Outdoors harness
Rick Young Outdoors harness
Rolls up nicely to stash in my pack.
Rolls up nicely to stash in my pack.

18-Nov-22
I can't imagine hunting without having binoculars close to hand at all times.

I use an old Kuiu harness. Not their new one. I prefer it for small size, simplicity, etc. To be fair I haven't even tried any newer harnesses for the last 3-4 years. So maybe there's something new and cool that I don't even know about :)

18-Nov-22
I have a marsupial gear harness and it does have magnets so make sure which one you get.I really like mine also

18-Nov-22
I love my Rick Young harness for treestand hunting. It makes adding/subtracting layers easy and is super low profile. I use a KUIU original bino harness for everything except treestand hunting.

18-Nov-22
I have a Marsupial but use the Rick Young for treestand/saddle hunting.

18-Nov-22
Rick young looks nice but no real protection. My binos are pretty expensive to point I probably wouldn’t buy another pair if these broke unless they are from the dollar store. I don’t typically hunt in rain or snow but do occasionally get caught in it so definitely want some protection. Another issue is I use a climbing stand about 70% of the time. Chest harness may be too much. Guess I’ll just have to pick and try one out.

18-Nov-22
Danny…..pull up “What bino harness are you using” then “Bowsite”. Lots of good info there.

18-Nov-22
If your just using it for whitetail the S4 Lockdown is perfect for that. If you need extra protection from dirt or snow, then you should buy a full containment system.

18-Nov-22
Rain and snow are not going to damage your binoculars. Might make them useless to look through for a bit but no damage. Dust, sand, bark, limbs, and such can cause damage. I keep my binos in my pack while ascending a tree.

18-Nov-22
Another Rick young harness user. Hate the bulk on my chest, and my under $500 binos don’t mind getting a little wet. So much cooler when elk hunting also.

18-Nov-22
I have been setting up my stand/sticks every sit for 15 years now. A chest pack gets in the way for that, so I go neck strap in whitetail mode, and use my Kuiu Pro Harness for spot/stalk hunts

18-Nov-22
APauls ..... interesting... I went to a chest rig bc of that reason (not as extreme as you by setting up for each sit though). Now that I've got a lot of money tied up in optics I cant be letting them bounce off of metal steps.

To the OP... take a look at the RYO harness and even the neoprene cover. It takes a little while to break in the neoprene cover and get used to it, in my opinion, but once you do it's pretty slick if you don't want an entire chest pack style harness.

18-Nov-22
I use Alaskan guide. I have used a couple of times hanging from a tree as well. Solid and can take a beating. I don't even think about my binos or worry about them getting knocked around. Never in the way, even with the bow. I think all makes are similar. Some are probably softer than the Alaskan guide stuff. I like that it is a "hard cover". Makes it easier to slip the binos back in, which I do a thousand times a day. I can't recommend the chest harness enough, especially if you are dragging expensive glass through the trees, rocks and brush.

18-Nov-22
Adak is a good one for whitetails

18-Nov-22
Put a long camera strap on it and wear it laterally under your bow arm. Simple, easy, uncomplicated, and comfortable

18-Nov-22
Put a long camera strap on it and wear it laterally under your bow arm. Simple, easy, uncomplicated, and comfortable

18-Nov-22
Another for Rick Young. I put them in my pack until I get set. No bulk and comfy.

18-Nov-22
I'm right handed and the best method I've ever found for carrying binoculars for ME, is to.have them on a strap.that will.allow me to carry them under my left arm.

19-Nov-22
I have used Crooked Horn for years and love them. They are not bulky, hold tight to your chest and are easy to bring up to your eyes They used to be around $20 not sure what that are now.

21-Nov-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I went to a new Muddy harness with a built in binocular harness similar to the Rick young. Everything in one harness. Works great! I actually use it for my sidearm in a chest holster(holster has d-rings to attach to binocular harness. Once I get up to height and get set up I remove the pistol/holster and take out my binoculars and clip them to the harness. Solves 2 of my problems and does double duty!

21-Nov-22
Marsupial is a very nice harness and what I am currently using. Switched from a FHF that I did like but disliked the way it closed,

22-Nov-22
Geezus, Rut Nut, that contraption looks like something out of the Fifty Shades of Grey playroom.

22-Nov-22
I must’ve missed that episode, Nick!

22-Nov-22
Personally for shots under 50, from a tree stand, and in dense woods like you describe I think binos do more harm than good.

With the naked eye you can't see far due to obstructions/trees. With binos you'll still not be able to see far but you'll be able to see the obstructions even closer.... so that doesn't help.

The downside i find is the movement made from using binos. Getting them out, fumbling, raising them to your eyes. turning 180deg to get full field of view, it's unnecessary movement just to maybe see a piece of a deer at 75yards that you have no shot on until it gets to 50 yards. IMO and experience you're better off just sitting still, getting rid of all that movement(and distraction) and just scanning with you're eyes. You'll be able naked eye scan nearly 180degs without moving your head.

22-Nov-22
I'm a kuiu fan

22-Nov-22
I still prefer the original Kuiu design.

23-Nov-22
Binoculars increase my enjoyment of time in the stand.

23-Nov-22
Rick Young's straps along with the neoprene bino covers fill the bill for me. Cover protects while on the chest and in the pack.

23-Nov-22
LOL Midwest! But it works a lot better than my old Seat-of-the-pants harness.....................and is more functional too!

23-Nov-22
I have the rick young also. One drawback FOR ME is when it is quiet, the elastic can be a tad noisy. Especially against zipper on a jacket.

23-Nov-22
I had my hands on a stone glacier bino harness. It was nice and pretty minimalist compared to many others. I hate all the extra bulk, pockets, etc most other harnesses have. Even the large size for rangefinding binos was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I’m not a fan of the Rick Young harness.

23-Nov-22
I’ll add, in regards to the Marsupial Gear harness and harness in general. I previously had the S4 gear lockdown I believe it was called. The elastic had snapped and it was falling apart, it had a lot of flaws imo, BUT it’s biggest was that if someone else wanted to use my binoculars, it was a total pain. I had to either take the harness completely off or unhook the binos from it which was very difficult.

The Marsupial gear clips the binos in VERY quickly, and they can be detached from the harness VERY quickly as well. I took mine in the bus ride through Denali and there were people sitting around me that didn’t have binos. It took me a matter of seconds to un lol the binos and hand them to the other riders to view the wildlife. Because of its design, I just left the binos I clipped the entire bus ride and still felt like the binos were very protected in the 100% coverage harness. Whenever I wanted to look I’d just pull the cover flap forward and pick the binos up and then hand them off to others who wanted to view the caribou/moose/etc.

I know detaching the binos might be the least of your concerns now, but if you do ANY scouting or hunting with other people, OR plan on taking your binos on trips, being able to detach your binos quickly can make a good harness a great one, or a good harness an inconvenient one.

23-Nov-22
Have the SG harness. Well worth the coin and it's lightweight.

24-Nov-22
Another vote for a Marsupial Gear bino harness

24-Nov-22
Another vote for a Marsupial Gear bino harness

28-Nov-22
I love my Marsupial. But I leave it at home during whitetail tree stand hunts. Theres the odd time I wish I had them along but I find there’s too much temptation to make make movements and be rubber necking around. I prefer to just sit still.

28-Nov-22
Ordering marsupial gear one.

29-Nov-22
Another vote for Marsupial! Magnets work great, range finder pouch doesn't slip from its location, it has quiet material and and fits me well. I came from using a FHF Gear harness. Good harness but the external flap flipped up into your face, instead of away....which is a big problem!

29-Nov-22
I've used Crooked Horn for years for both hunting and 3D. The harness is simple and effective. I didn't want a harness where I had to take something off or out to use my binos or range finder. When it happens, it usually happens fast and time is of the essence. In a very short period of time, I need to evaluate whether I have a legal deer, drop the binos, hook up, draw, aim, and shoot. In the tight cover I usually hunt, the shot is not always obvious. As to exposure to the elements, I can cover the binos, or if it's cold, slide them in an outside jacket pocket. I also keep a Crooked Horn cleaning cloth attached to the bino strap.

Good luck

• Sitka Gear