kentuckbowhnter 19-Nov-22
Norseman 19-Nov-22
Jerry Gille 21-Nov-22
JB 21-Nov-22
Corax_latrans 21-Nov-22
Huntiam 22-Nov-22
Gunny 22-Nov-22
18-Nov-22
Have you ever had a good omen occur in the woods followed by success?

This weekend my wife was in her stand which was 60 yards away from me. At 3:48pm she text me and asked if owls were good luck. I said sure. 5 minutes later she text me saying she had shot her biggest buck. She hunted hard all year and hadn't seen a buck all year. 5 minutes after the owl lands next to her, a hot doe with a small buck run past. The second buck was a 3.5 year old 8 point.

I hope I have an owl land next to me every time I hunt.

18-Nov-22
I don’t know about a good luck Omen but it probably means she’s sitting still

18-Nov-22

Toothpick's embedded Photo
He's thinking that's the goofiest squirrel I've ever seen!!
Toothpick's embedded Photo
He's thinking that's the goofiest squirrel I've ever seen!!
As long as they don't try to take the hat off your head! Not sure who was more freaked out after the close miss.

18-Nov-22
The owl she saw was a saw whet owl. I know that when she found her deer, the owl probably wasn't around with all the joy and emotion!!

18-Nov-22
Don't know about "good omens" but what does it mean when a huge owl attacks from above when on stand as happened to me many years ago?

18-Nov-22
Who..cooks..for..you....!

And their "rut" is a little over a month away from starting!

18-Nov-22
We're putting up a barn owl nesting box at our place in a few weeks. They (as well as all other owls) are more than welcome to hunt in our barn. Hawks too! I've seen feathers from barn owls in our barn, and I have seen Coopers hawks in there too. The mice hate 'em!

19-Nov-22
Personally, I get along with Ravens.

But to Jay’s point… There are a lot of creatures out there which are far more observant than we are. Blue Jays and Red/Pine squirrels, especially, seem to be the self appointed guardians of their territories. As a rule, if I have jays or squirrels - including the bigger ones - calmly going about their business around me, I figure I’m doing a good job of blending in. And that’s a good omen by itself.

But I always try to listen for what’s going out farther out than I can see. Of course, I’m overdue for hearing aids….

19-Nov-22
I love owls! Have a couple in my woods and I hear them calling every time I hunt. Usually see them too. Years ago, a big owl knocked my brothers hat off of his head just at daylight. I think they were both shocked!

19-Nov-22
When the owls start to Hootin it’s time to start a shootin.

19-Nov-22
Owls…the messenger of death

21-Nov-22
For me it is running over a cat with my vehicle on the way to hunt. 2 cats hit and 2 deer killed later those mornings.

21-Nov-22
Now that's funny Jerry!

21-Nov-22
That’s probably a Karma thing, Jerry! The woods are so happy to be free of a non-native invasive predator that they throw you a bone out of gratitude!

22-Nov-22
Leave your knife= kill a buck

22-Nov-22
Had an owl that wouldn’t shut up while walking into the stand this morning. Thought about this thread. Now I’m sitting in stand freezing waiting on shooting light…..

• Sitka Gear