Lewis 23-Nov-22
blackbear62 23-Nov-22
EmbryOklahoma 23-Nov-22
Jim McNamara 24-Nov-22
t-roy 24-Nov-22
19-Nov-22

blackbear62's embedded Photo
blackbear62's embedded Photo
Nasty weather here in West Michigan. Good day for a batch of white chili. This time I decided to add a pound of smoked venison keobasa.. Looks mighty good!

19-Nov-22
Yum!

19-Nov-22
Great comfort food. Cold and breezy here too

I plan to pour some Buffalo Trace and watch the Yellowstone premiere tonight.

19-Nov-22
You can't call that chilly, that's just wrong on so many levels:)

19-Nov-22

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Not that cold here but I did have to shovel yesterday and have a house full of Covid. Threw this in the crockpot a few hours ago.

19-Nov-22
Usually the football watching staple in the Boggs household is ground venison (now bear) mixed in with rotel and velveeta. Usually a pound of meat and half a block of velveeta is plenty enough for a couple people.

19-Nov-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Venison stir fry on the menu tonight.

Matt

19-Nov-22
Fish stew here in frigid Ohio with 20 mph winds helping the chill out. Plenty of heat in the soup base to warm me thru.

19-Nov-22
Good looking vittles.

Chili went on this morning on this cold PA day. On low all day and was ready when I got home from hunting this evening. 8 doe, no buck. The wife made cornbread muffins to go with it. Hit the spot!

19-Nov-22
You can’t promote white chili. That is an example of CCT. Critical Chili Theory. That’s what’s wrong with chili today. People just don’t get it.

19-Nov-22

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I made this Texas Red a few days ago. Fallow and whitetail chili ! Jalapeño cornbread too…..

19-Nov-22
Sorry my lack CCT thinking Boubound. Would it help if I added some red and black beans;)

19-Nov-22
It would really help if you just made chili. Your bean soup looks ok though

19-Nov-22
Making chili tomorrow, will use it on nachos!! One of my family favorites!!

19-Nov-22
This thread needs a DROOL WARNING!!!

20-Nov-22
Those all look good! I keep telling my wife we need to make a big pot of beans. NM style. Anasazi and pinto beans, meat of choice and plenty of green chile. Add a side of green chile or jalapeño cornbread.

20-Nov-22
White/green chili is easy to make - chicken, white beans, and a jar of 'salsa verde' (green salsa.) Or you can go the blend-tomatillos-with-jalapenos, garlic-and onions route. I just use the walmart brand s-v and it works fine. (Also works well with pork.) Video shows one way to make it.

20-Nov-22
I like the OP's idea of adding some smoked sausage into the mix too. (I have some kielbasa in the freezer...) So many possibilities.

20-Nov-22

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Venison Nachos!!

20-Nov-22

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
That last pic did it!

20-Nov-22
“Those all look good! I keep telling my wife we need to make a big pot of beans. NM style. Anasazi and pinto beans, meat of choice and plenty of green chile. Add a side of green chile or jalapeño cornbread.”

Search recipes for “Charro Beans”! One of my favorites with bacon or maybe some finely cubed backstrap and fresh Hatch green Chile!

Easy to do in camp if you get a solar powered crock pot! Set it and forget it.

20-Nov-22

Refried Bean Soup....

I make this for "cold weather" food. I also get Mexican sausage (chorizo) and grill it a bit for a sear, and then cut it into chunks and cook with the soup. Add some cheese on top and some crushed corn chips (Doritos/Fritos, etc) and it's a full meal!!!

20-Nov-22
I make deer stew in my crock pot quite often. I use beans, potatoes, onions and deer burger or cut up chunks of deer steak. Really good eatin'. Saltine crackers and butter on the side.

21-Nov-22
Blackbear 62, is that homemade venison Kielbasa? If so, how about sharing your recipe for it. Looks good.

21-Nov-22
Hey JDM. It is venison kielbasa, however I had it made by a local butcher. Mark

21-Nov-22
Had to loosen my belt reading this thread... venison nachos, I'm in Heaven.

21-Nov-22
Yall were killing me this morning. I sat in the blind freezing (16 degrees and wind) reading all this qnd all I had to eat was a cold jar of "spotted dick". Tomorrow I'm taking a thermos of homemade chicken soup.

21-Nov-22
Proper chili has NO BEANS! What is wrong with you guys! If you want beans, make beans or bean soup….

Chili is a medium onion, meat, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, a can of Rotel, and some extra chopped up cilantro if you like it.

I do love a pot of good pinto beans with onion, ham hocks, and jalapeños but it is sacrilegious to put them in chili.

No pictures of it, but made axis chili Saturday night. Wife liked it so much she had me make another batch on Sunday…. NO DAMN BEANS in it!

21-Nov-22
Texas style chili has beans in it. Then there is a good plain pot of beans. Here in NM we have green or red chile stew. Better be no beans in that. Lol

21-Nov-22

arrowsmith's embedded Photo
There is a Chevy silverado under here.
There is a Chevy silverado under here.
For the 60" of snow over the weekend we had homemade chicken soup with dumplings. Sorry, no pics of the soup, but here is a pic of the truck about halfway through the storm. This happened on the opening day of our rifle deer season. First time I've missed an opener in 45 years.

21-Nov-22

21-Nov-22

21-Nov-22

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Kid approved!
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Kid approved!
I made some German style deer bratwurst last night. Googled “ German style dinner” and got this recipe.

Onions, potatoes, apples, and sauerkraut with grilled brats on top in a Dutch oven.

Petty good, and something different.

22-Nov-22
Dang! Global cooling up there in the NE!

Those brats look great!

Grew up in Texas and beans were always separate from the chili. Usually had Spanish rice with the meal. A big scoop of rice, a scoop of beans, and cover it all with the chili. I know, the beans end up in the chili, but we’re never prepared that way!

New Mexico red and green chili are awesome! Also love a big batch of green chili posole! Makes me want to take a trip through New Mexico and over across Arizona…

22-Nov-22
I grew up with kidney beans in my chili so that's all I know. Cant go wrong either way and they do end up in the same place. By the way Treeline, I have to admit that I had to look up what a can of Rotel was. I do the same, diced tomatoes with green chilis in them (just different brand).

22-Nov-22
Rotel is the best!

Can of Rotel with a pound of Velveta makes the best cheese dip, too! Add in some chorizo or even breakfast sausage and a bag of good corn chips you have a meal:-)

22-Nov-22

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Married into a hispanic family so started making green chile posole. Found a bag from last year and thawed. Add a wedge of lime, cilantro, little sour cream and fresh tortillas!

23-Nov-22
Arrowsmith, what part of NY do you live? East Aurora got 52 inches and my mother in law needed a highlift to clear driveway... I couldn't get in to plow, was crazy! Good eating fellas!

23-Nov-22
I make homemade "rotel" mmmmmm

23-Nov-22
Pepper bacon,eggs and tomato gravy made with rotel or homemade over biscuits and you have a breakfast that is amazingly good Lewis

23-Nov-22
How about sharing the posole recipe.

23-Nov-22
Who cares what you bean haters want?! I put beans in my chili and you’ll like it!! Actually, you’ll love it! :)

24-Nov-22
I like chili with or without beans but my preference is sans them. Last batch had rattlesnake meat in it. Not to bad!

24-Nov-22
All you bean hatin chili eaters, probably eat “dinner” in the evening, too!

• Sitka Gear