Tracker 21-Nov-22
Bigdog 21 21-Nov-22
Z Barebow 21-Nov-22
bdfrd24v 21-Nov-22
320Bull 21-Nov-22
rattling_junkie 21-Nov-22
Beendare 22-Nov-22
20-Nov-22
Anyone on here (or anyone you know not on here) shooting these? Just have a couple questions.

- runner

20-Nov-22
I have shot the 150’s and done well with both the vented and no vented ones.

Currently have arrows set up with the 200 grain non-vented 1 1/4” three blades.

20-Nov-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Yep, my go-to broad head for elk with the recurve. See 150 gr, vent- less BH poking out. Shot his bull at 20 yards quartering away, down in seconds. With the right arrow weight and spine, shoots like a dart.

20-Nov-22
I shot them with great results.

20-Nov-22
Been shooting them since they first came out. Best BH on the market.

20-Nov-22
LC, an other reason I like the vent less BH is I feel one gets better penetration with a lower poundage bow, like the recurve bow I use at 55#. ie, a smoother surface of the blades. Especially on big animals like elk.

20-Nov-22
The ventless are definitely stronger and not as likely to bend…. The smaller profile is also less likely to wind plane if you’re tune is a little off.

20-Nov-22
Thanks everyone - I have a couple packs and was wondering if they were a reasonable choice to shoot traditional. Something I’m hoping to get into sooner or later.

Paul - sorry to hear about your dog. Followed several of your hunts over the years. Realized when you posted your address for the BS gathering, that I lived not far from you for several years (on Marshfield, off Turnberry).

Thanks Again All!

20-Nov-22
I still have some that I will use over and over until I lose them. Great heads. One of the strongest heads made with great steel… in fact it’s probably better than some of the heads that call themselves super steel at 1/2 or 1/3rd the cost.

I have used them in my compound and recurve. I like the COC heads…but prefer the 2 blades.

VAP 3 blade; strong, straight, excellent steel and they penetrate effortlessly. Easy to touch up with a triangle chock stick or flat stone.

The only possible minuses; The steel holds a good edge but it can rust, you need chapstick or vaseline in the rain.

The 30deg bevel holds its sharpness better on bone, etc— but they don’t feel as sharp as thin bevel type heads.

20-Nov-22
I have some, haven't killed anything from a bow with them, but my wife and nephew used them on bears from a crossbow. Worked well and very easy to sharpen.

20-Nov-22
They are great heads - I like the ventless as meat, hair, and bone can’t catch in the back of the vent - penetration is excellent with them!

20-Nov-22
I have some vented 125s and some nonvented 125s. I was going to use them this year but got frustrated with rust. I tried oil and chapstick and still had some issues.

20-Nov-22
Definitely a good choice for traditional.

20-Nov-22
12 yds…..rust is definitely the biggest negative to me, as well. I will color/coat the sharpened edges of my VPAs with a Magic marker, and that seems to work way better than chapstick or oil. Not a cure all, but definitely lasts longer than anything else I’ve tried.

20-Nov-22
I shoot the 150g non vented stainless steel. I don’t see myself changing.

I switched from 125g carbon steel. They worked well also, but used them on an elk hunt and they got rust. I treated edge but still rusted.

21-Nov-22
Z Barebow, do the stainless versions sharpen up as well as the carbon steel versions?

21-Nov-22
Carbon steel for me. Way easier to get and keep sharp. I have used the 125 out of my compound and 150-200 out of my trad gear.

21-Nov-22
Best thing I found for protection of rust is to sharpen first then cold blue. Used on gun barrels, you can get small bottle then when dry silicon spray .

21-Nov-22
12 yards.

I can get them just as sharp as carbon steel version. But they are “different “. I probably need to touch up my #1 arrow every 2-3 weeks ( as it is the one in/out of my quiver the most). Carbon steel may hold edge a smidge longer.

21-Nov-22
I've shot the 150g non vented for a couple years now. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I keep killing things and the heads are very easy to touch up.

Blood trails haven't been Stevie Wonder types but most of my kills have fallen in sight so that hasn't been an issue either.

Definitely a head worth trying.

21-Nov-22

320Bull's embedded Photo
320Bull's embedded Photo
I have been using them with excellent results. 70 lb Hoyt CRX 32. FMJ 300 spline. I had 6 kills with 1 head. I ruined it when I clipped a shoulder at 10 yards and it barely bent the tip, They will rust but there are lots of cures for that. Pic for ref

21-Nov-22
I have both and in my experience both sharpen the same way.

22-Nov-22
That head in 320’s pick will be good as new after running it on a fine flat diamond stone and a little steel wool. Spray it with Pam and its good to go.

I have a couple that look worse than that…the critters don’t mind the rust….

• Sitka Gear