Bowaddict 21-Nov-22
Beendare 22-Nov-22
Bowaddict 22-Nov-22
20-Nov-22
Are a pain in the ass…

20-Nov-22
Why???

20-Nov-22
So glad I went back to axis 5mm with hit insert! They are making some good outserts now, but I very much adhere to the K.I.S.S. method whenever I can. Get cought up in all the stuff like everyone else, but love the simplicity of the axis with hit insert!

20-Nov-22
"Are a pain in the ass…"

And often only exacerbate the problem they are trying to solve. Depending on design, of course.

20-Nov-22
I’ve said for quite a while now that outserts are a pain and totally unnecessary. I always hear people talk about it making the end of the arrow stronger if you hit a heavy bone but I’ve seen plenty of arrows destroyed with an outsert when they hit something hard. When the HIT system first came out I hated them. Now, that’s what I shoot in my Axis or FMJ arrows. The difference is I was a 50 grain brass in my compound arrows and 75 grain brass is my stickbow arrows.

20-Nov-22
I’ll disagree. I’m shooting half out type system. Kinda insert with and outsert over it all. And I think it is very good. I personally am not a fan of the HIT system and like the FMJ arrows even less. I’d be happy to shoot the 5mm axis with a different insert/outset system though.

—jim

20-Nov-22
What makes them better

20-Nov-22

Blood's embedded Photo
Blood's embedded Photo
JT, I shoot a Half-Jacket made by Ethics but sold by Sirius Archery. Sounds like maybe what you have. It’s the best of all worlds. You get a precision insert that goes up inside the arrow quite a ways. And then you have a sleeve that goes over both the outsert and the arrow for additional backbone. Mix and match weights. Aluminum and/or Stainless.

I was frustrated of arrows failing when you hit something hard in targets. And this definitely improves the strength of your whole system.

20-Nov-22
Can’t stand getting them out of targets.. don’t use them but Buddy does. What a pain..

20-Nov-22
So let me get this straight… you don’t use them and sounds like you never have, but come on BS to make a one sentence post to bad mouth them? Seems about right…

—jim

20-Nov-22
What target are you pulling them out of? They come out of every target I have pulled them out of. Bag targets they stick a little, but the pros of having them FAR outweigh the possible downside of pulling them out of a bag target.

20-Nov-22
Black Eagle X-Impact, adjustable outsert has solved all my arrow issues.

20-Nov-22
I've used smooth outserts on Easton' arrows with no complaints so far. Couple of friends have fluted ones on a different brand of arrow and they are considerable harder to remove from targets. These are shot from recurves if that makes a difference

21-Nov-22
That’s it? Any more info on outserts or anything like them?

21-Nov-22
I used half out system on Vaps. That was the worst system I have ever seen. The outsert or whatever it is called would bend after a few shots into a bag target. I like the ease of use and the dependability of an internal component.

21-Nov-22
Black Eagle have got some kind of system on my arrows. No issues yet.

21-Nov-22
I just switched to the victory micro diameter VAP Elites and really like them. Weight and spine consistency is excellent. With my previous CX Reds I’d throw out 5/12 arrows because they’d fly like crap. But after 3 dozen I’m averaging 1/12 that gets tossed. Not a huge fan of the outserts but I’ve had no issues. Just need to be really careful about squaring the cut end and making sure they spin perfectly before gluing them in.

21-Nov-22
Check them after use, before season 2 with my vap elites with the upgraded victory outserts several of what I had left were not spinning true. The outserts were not properly aligned after consistent shooting.I was pretty careful setting them up and they all spun and flew great the first hunting season. I know there are better components out there, but for me it wasn’t worth the $ when axis with hit inserts have served me well on many animals. My son and I have taken over 30 animals with that setup and none have resulted in arrow damage on the killing end from going through an animal. Missing and hitting something really hard will damage the end of the shaft, but I’ve hit the off shoulder on a few animals resulting in no damage. Just my preference after trying both arrow setups.

22-Nov-22
Yep, shot the Bemans when they were free to me back in the 90’s, great shafts but the outserts were a total PITA made it tough to get my BHs perfect…..plus they were weak…plus hard to pull. Meh.

I know they have some better components now- for big $$ bucks- the 4mm is a solution looking for a problem.

5mm is the perfect system…..

22-Nov-22
The beauty of archery, you can get as far into the weeds as you care if it interests you. It’s good for new archers to read that you can build a simple, economical arrow that is every bit as much of an efficient killer as some of the expensive more complex builds.

• Sitka Gear