So467 22-Nov-22
TonyBear 22-Nov-22
Ironbow 22-Nov-22
Twinetickler 22-Nov-22
greg simon 22-Nov-22
PAOH 22-Nov-22
Twinetickler 22-Nov-22
20-Nov-22
I know this has been discussed, reviewed, debated before, but after spending a week in SD where temps never broke freezing, and were below 0 several times with wind. What is the best cold weather outer layers for whitetail hunting/sitting? Sitka Fanatic? First Lite, Kuiu? Other? If I win the lottery I may upgrade to some top end stuff. Layered and bundled like the kid on Christmas Story just isn't cutting it anymore.

20-Nov-22
Tickler - what kind of hunting??

20-Nov-22
I used a filson tin cloth (waxed cotton) over a couple layers of wool last weekend in MO where it was 17 degrees and windy. Can honestly say it is the first time I’ve been comfortable sitting in that cold of temps, and I’ve tried a lot of different winter clothing combinations. 100% windproof makes all the difference when it gets below 35 or so. None of their tin cloth stuff is made in the USA anymore, but none of the “hunting brands” are either. Might be able to find some of the MitUSA stuff on eBay.

Their camo stuff is usually released in batches, I don’t believe they have any camo on their website at the moment.

When it gets COLD I run a merino base layer, a 5 button military wool sweater, a durable work type shirt over that for when I walk in. Once I get to my duck blind/ground blind/treestand I throw on their mackinaw cruiser and a tin or shelter cloth waxed outer layer. Not the most dexterous outer layer, but when it’s 10 degrees I don’t really care :)

20-Nov-22
I would be looking mainly at sitting in a tree whitetail hunting in November. I was warm enough, but bundled to where it was tough to draw, shoot, etc. Just wondering if the top of the line Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite makes that much of a difference. My thoughts have always been I can make do with what I got, but this past week had both my Dad and I rethinking if it's worth the investment to say Sitka Fanatic or similar?

20-Nov-22
Asio gear.com

20-Nov-22
I live and hunt in NC Nebraska and Veterans Day and few either side got really cold here bow hunting before the rifle opener, was below zero windchills my core stayed comfortable even with 25 mph winds in a tree stand with minimal layers on underneath I was using Sitka fanatic bibs and coat. I used to use cabelas wool stuff and hunted a lot late season and was never comfortable. Hands and feet have always been my issue but have figured out a remedy to that as well. I’m a blue color guy but if you can find anyone with an outfitter endorsement with Sitka they will buy it for 50% off that’s how I got mine a buddy got it for me and it’s still plenty to pay at that cost but honestly worth it imo, they say the incinerator stuff is even warmer but not as quiet

20-Nov-22
The last couple years version of Fanatic is hands down best cold weather whitetail gear.

Throw a heated vest underneath and you’re way ahead of a Heater Body Suit

20-Nov-22
We were just north of you Murph during those same dates. It was chilly, and great info that your Sitka stuff was up to par. We have good stuff, but not great stuff. Cabelas wooltimate, Scheels Outfitter, Kings etc. Never thought I would consider spending what they want for top end stuff, but suffering through that cold snap has me thinking maybe....

20-Nov-22
Yup. You gotta have good layers, but Windproof trumps a LOT.

20-Nov-22
You could look at the Nomad Cottonwood set. It’s windproof too. I have it and really like it so far this season. The pants and jacket are on sale now on several sites. And it fits - unlike ALOT of other gear out there.

21-Nov-22
I half to ask what is your under layers

21-Nov-22
‘Throw a heated vest underneath and you’re way ahead of a Heater Body Suit’

APauls - please elaborate.

I’ve worn Raven Wear for years - finally I tried a HBS for the first time this year and gotta say - I’ve never been this comfy 20 feet up in November. Boots off, feet in liners with hotpacks.

21-Nov-22
No better time to buy top end hunting clothing than right now with the Black Friday sales. I finally broke down and ordered a Fanatic jacket...reg price, $470, now $350 and a pair of First Lite Solitude bibs....reg price, $270, now $190.

I already have a Ororo heated vest but they are on sale right now as well. Planning to do some more whitetail hunting next year when I'm (probably) retired and these pieces of gear will likely last me the rest of my life considering I'm still using the last major purchase of high end clothing I bought over 30 years ago.

21-Nov-22
I bought the first fanatic when it came out, and it was good back then. Then upgraded to the latest a year after it came out and it was even better. With a merino base layer, heavy cotton mid layer, and fanatic outer layer, I am seriously comfy at -20. I’ll usually start wearing the fanatic just before it starts freezing and almost no layers underneath, and then start layering base layers as it gets colder. I put a ton of hours in on stand in my fanatic, and I’m pretty typically critical of gear and swap out for different stuff, but not with the fanatic. It’s a winner

21-Nov-22
I’m with the Paul brothers. All Sitka, all the time. An effective bow shot requires a calm mind, body and ability to stay out there. (shivers won’t work) See Midwests advice. Good luck and congrats on keeping Dad out there too.,

21-Nov-22
Well I just bought the Fanatic. Awesome quality and quiet BUT I don't stay as warm as my Manitoba cohorts in it. The Fanatic paired with a HBS is money.

21-Nov-22
"What is the best cold weather outer layers for whitetail hunting/sitting? "

Outer = windproof

Inner = wool and fluffy to trap air

Hydrated and protein fueled to generate heat at your core

Chemical warmer packs to supplement heat at hands and feet.

My essential items are my ArcticShield boot covers and a neck gaiter.

21-Nov-22
I've got good heavyweight merino base layers, Arctic Shield booties, heated vest, and good outer layers. With windchill it was 8-10 below. Most normal years we are good, but it seems like the last couple we have hit the polar vortex. Sounds like the Sitka Fanatic is a step above and might be worth looking at.

21-Nov-22
Sitka Incinerator and it just can't be beat.

21-Nov-22
I use the cabelas stand hunter extreme, the wool stuff, never get cold wearing it, it makes my sanctuary feel like summer wear!

21-Nov-22
Another vote for the updated Sitka Fanatic

22-Nov-22

Nomad @ work's Link
I looked for & bought Sitka Fanatic on sale. Ebay can be your friend in this. I also just bought & now swear by this hat. Between the Alpaca wool & the great wind stopper the wind doesn't rob your head of heat. My head has never been warmer on stand & that makes more of a difference than I'd imagined. I bought the dark gray.....it blends in great where I hunt.

22-Nov-22
Love the Fanatic, hate the zipper.

22-Nov-22
Heater Body Suit

22-Nov-22
Been using the heater body suit for like six years. My son runs the Fanatic outfit. May buy a set of that he swears by it.

22-Nov-22
Wool over polyester, polar fleece blend underlayers. No cotton anywhere even in your undies. Plus a hand muff filled with hand warmers. Works at 35 below...

22-Nov-22
I got a jacket and bibs, lined with wind stop and insulated in the Cowboy Suede last year. Warmest, quietest stuff I have ever worn. I was seriously looking at Sitka and glad I went with Day One.

22-Nov-22
What about Huntworth, anybody had any experience with their top end cold weather stuff?

22-Nov-22
I have Sitka Fanatic jacket and bibs. They are great for cool/cold weather bowhunting. I use that term cool/cold because I just returned from a week in Alberta and there it was just cold! Cabela's Stand Hunter Extreme (I have parka and bibs) is warmer than the Fanatic set, but it is very heavy and difficult to shoot a bow in.

22-Nov-22
Huntworth heat boost has been excellent . Jacket feels like a midweight but keeps you warm like a heavyweight parka

22-Nov-22
PAOH is it quiet enough? That was one of my worries on that Huntworth heat boost

• Sitka Gear