fuzzy 24-Nov-22
fuzzy 24-Nov-22
butcherboy 24-Nov-22
Treeline 24-Nov-22
t-roy 24-Nov-22
fuzzy 24-Nov-22
fuzzy 24-Nov-22
23-Nov-22
There are a couple of food threads going and "Rotel" has been mentioned. "Rotel" is one of those brand names that's become synonymous with the products. I grow a big vegetable garden and do a lot of home canning. Here's my home made "Rotel" recipe:

23-Nov-22
30 large, firm ripe red tomatoes, scalded, chilled and skins removed then diced into 1/4" chunks . 12 small green chiles ( I use thumb sized jalapeños ) stems removed and finely chopped, seeds left in 6 medium sized yellow onions Peeled and finely chopped 1 quarter cup Finely chopped fresh cilantro. 1 quarter cup peeled, roasted chopped garlic cloves. 1 quarter cup bottled lime juice

23-Nov-22
Put about a half inch of water in a large stockpot and bring to a simmer. Add the chopped tomatoes, then the other chopped items in the order listed. Keep the burner on low heat and gently stir to prevent sticking. When the mixture starts to steam a little, add the salt and lime juice. Keep stirring until it just starts to simmer, then turn off heat.

23-Nov-22
Using a canning funnel and large ladle, fill clean, boiled glass canning jars just the the jar shoulder. Try to get just enough liquid in each jar to fill the space in the vegetables. You may have some liquid left over when the jars are filled. Wipe the jar rims with a clean damp cloth, place canning lids and bands barely finger tight, and process in a boiling water bath canner 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts at a rolling boil. Don't over process. Remove jars and place on a dry cloth on table or counter to cool. Lids should "pop down" soon after removing from the water bath but may take up to an hour. If any don't seal, refrigerate and use in 2 weeks or less, don't re process (it'll get mushy)

23-Nov-22
Delicious looking recipe. Tks for sharing.

23-Nov-22
Delicious looking recipe. Tks for sharing.

23-Nov-22
Sounds good to me fuzzy

23-Nov-22
A variation of this when I have them is to substitute a couple of large poblano peppers for half the jalapeños. They're not as hot but I love the flavor. If you want "scald your @$$ " Rotel, substitute one de seeded habanero for one of the jalapeños

23-Nov-22
Oh I have to add this: do NOT leave out or reduce the lime juice. You can substitute cider vinegar, white vinegar, or lemon juice but you need the acid so you can safely do it by water bath rather than pressure canning.

23-Nov-22
That one is getting saved for later, Fuzzy! Wish I could grow a garden up here in this country but the season is just too damn short and the HOA won’t let me put in a greenhouse… Insane!

23-Nov-22
I hate HOA's I told mine they could kiss my a$$.

23-Nov-22
Can't wait for retirement when I can start growing a serious garden again.

23-Nov-22
Dang good sounding recipe.

23-Nov-22
Thanks Fuzzy. How much salt do we add. I did not see an amout. Either that or in blind. Mark

23-Nov-22
Sounds pretty tasty! Your green chile’s are different than mine though. Lol I’ve always done it with green chile but I bet jalepeno’s would be amazing as well.

24-Nov-22
Only when done with “Hatch Green Chiles”!

24-Nov-22
Sorry. Salt is very taste subjective. I use 3 tablespoons for this recipe. You can use none or you may like more.

24-Nov-22
butcherboy I like using jalapeños because they grow well for me and I like the flavor. I was using the term "green" as in unripe, and the term "chile" in its generic sense as a hot pepper. I've grown the little green Chile's similar to what commercial Rotel uses but I like working with the larger jalapeños.

24-Nov-22
I like the jalapeño flavor as well. Being a native New Mexican though my heart is forever tied to Hatch green chile. Hot and extra hot. Lol I like your recipe a lot and will need to give it a try.

24-Nov-22
Yeah, gotta use the NM Hot Green chili! Another great Fuzzy recipe;-)

24-Nov-22
Any particular tomato work any better than any others, fuzzy?

24-Nov-22
t-roy you want a firm, meaty red tomato. I like "Better Boy" for this

24-Nov-22
"Mortgage Lifter" is another one

• Sitka Gear