butcherboy 26-Nov-22
Orion 26-Nov-22
cnelk 26-Nov-22
RT 26-Nov-22
Quinn @work 27-Nov-22
midwest 27-Nov-22
cnelk 27-Nov-22
26-Nov-22
Well, I was hoping to hunt 76 but the recent change has pushed me from the cusp of drawing to what I'm guessing is 5-10 years out, maybe more if the 90/10 goes through in 24.

So, now I'm looking at other options. I honestly don't care how many points a unit takes, I'm going to cash out in 23 or 24 even if its a 1 point unit. I do my homework and my decision about 23 or 24 will be based on if I think I can learn it well enough in one year or if I need two. (will have some time in the summer to come scout, learn a new area). For hopefully obvious reasons, I'd rather discuss this via email so please PM your address if you are willing to help me out with some direction.

FYI, I've been a regular on the Bowsite since its beginning. I'm 57 in a few weeks. Have bad feet, but willing to hike as well as get creative in where and how I hunt. Can bring an ATV or even a boat if it's helpful. Would prefer to truck camp but can do a spike camp if needed.

I also have 25 acres in KS that I'd be happy let someone hunt the prime week of the rut from my stands in exchange for good help, trespass access or other benefits.

26-Nov-22
Darrell,

I may have missed it, but how many points do you have? Lots of numbers in your post, but I don't see the most important one!

26-Nov-22
I’d apply for 76 again next year if I were you. Give it another year with the new changes and get a look at the 2023 draw recap. Right now you’re just speculating and I wouldn’t bail on 76 based on speculation. I think I remember how many points you have and you were damn close this year.

26-Nov-22
2 out of 55 drew with 16 last year. 1 out of a similar number with 15 the year before. I will have 17 next year and I am debating about applying again. However, I think there will be a bunch of guys bailing on 61 and going to other units.

26-Nov-22
A little confused on your numbers but If you have 17 going into this year draw I like your odds of draw one either 23 or 24.

26-Nov-22
Stick to it for ‘23. You may be in the running. Maybe consider unit 40 and checking on access. There were some Louisiana guys that had access that killed some giant bulls in there in years past. I can check with some buddies that live over there in that area and may have some leads.

26-Nov-22

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
I'd hold tight, you'll draw sooner than later.

26-Nov-22
Not when they cut the tags from 35% to 20% in 23 and 10% in 24

26-Nov-22
The res/NR allocation changes voted in this month will take away 19 of the 44 licenses for NRs. No one with less than 18 points will have much of a chance to draw as a NR next year. Sounds like you’re not interested in high elevation backpacking so that leaves you just a few choices. If you want a big bull and are willing to spend for private access you would have more options.

26-Nov-22
I’m in the same boat as you Darrell, just with one less point. I have 16. Back in the day we would hunt 76 once every two years! It only took 1 or 2 points. I would have 24 now if I hadn’t missed a few years here and there. I probably would have actually drawn it before 2005 if I would have kept up on it before things went crazy. I have a few other units in mind I might burn them on.

26-Nov-22
Who told you the tags are going 90/10?

26-Nov-22
Look at some ML or Rifle opportunities in some units - there are some options out there

26-Nov-22
Go to 49 for the entire season and soak it all in. The good, bad, ugly, and maybe even some elk meat in the end. If you start your research now you should have a few chances at elk.

27-Nov-22
^^^ This is probably your best option with the new percentages on tags allocation coming up. The only better option would be paying for private land access or a private land guided hunt in a low point unit which you have too many points for. It's sad to see that this is what it takes to draw a unit that isn't that much better than what OTC USED to be

It's about time Colorado started favoring the residents to draw our own tags. We've been the "back up plan" for far too long.

Wish I had some better advice for you but this is what CO has become.

27-Nov-22
Maybe send your unit numbers via PM instead of hurting the odds of those who may be on the cusp of drawing the units you are suggesting publicly.

27-Nov-22
The reduction in NonRes tag allocations will increase point creep across all units for NonRes

• Sitka Gear