wytex 01-Dec-22
Buglmin 01-Dec-22
deerhunter72 01-Dec-22
Michael 01-Dec-22
RJ Hunt 01-Dec-22
RJ Hunt 01-Dec-22
BTM 02-Dec-22
01-Dec-22
Couple questions for you guys that hunt coyotes in below freezing weather: Looking into a new Foxpro e-call and not sure which call to get for cold weather. I'm down to X-1 or X-24. Looks like big difference is in the remotes and the number of sounds it can hold. I gotta be honest, I use about 5 or 6 sounds generally so 1,000 sounds is overkill to me. Does anyone have any experience in the bitter cold between the two remotes? tx433 vs tx1000 Am I missing anything else between those two calls? Lithium batteries I know is a big plus in the cold.

How do you guys handle skinning in the bitter cold? The dang things are frozen by the time we drag one out of the field.....

And finally, where are you sending your pelts to get tanned. I believe I saw a post on this a while back but cannot locate it.

Appreciate any input! TODDY

01-Dec-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
1- we use pretty much a cottontail in distress for all our coyote calls.

2 - batteries arent an issue in well below zero temps

3 - Send to Moyles Tannery in Idaho

4 - We dont skin until we get home. We'll put the flea ridden yotes in a plastic garbage bag, spray some RAID in there and tie it up. By the time we get home no more fleas

01-Dec-22
My Foxpro has stopped working in real cold temps so I just use a cottontail rabbit mouth call now. I’ve probably called in more animals with that then the Ecaller.

01-Dec-22
I thaw frozen coyotes in the basement to thaw them out. Skinning a frozen or semi-frozen coyote is a recipe for big knife holes. I have had great luck with Sleepy Creek Tannery out of Iowa. Excellent work and a fair price.

01-Dec-22
Same as cnelk. Trash bag and a shot of Raid, thaw and skin later. I prefer using mouth calls. Howler, jackrabbit and cottontail.

01-Dec-22
You guys notice later in the morning activity when it's really cold?

I second Moyle on tanning . Nice lopers cnelk!

01-Dec-22
The issue with remotes and cold weather, pushing buttons on the remotes without having to take your gloves off!! I started using a glove liner and a thinner glove when killing coys in NM and sw Colorado. When it's cold, the glove liners are better then exposing the fingers to 19 degree air.

As for skinning coys, using Raid on then is fine, has worked for us since the 80's. We thaw coys out in the shop before we skin.

01-Dec-22
I have a FoxPro Patriot and had no problems using it in temps down to 0 last winter. It was plenty loud for me and worked well with just the preloaded sounds.

01-Dec-22
I can’t answer your question on those remotes. My Fox pro is a fury that I bought back in 2011. It does well in the cold though with fox pro rechargeable batteries. The remote is a 9 volt and I can go a number of years with one battery.

2 years ago I bought a Lucky Duck Roughneck. That thing is loud and has lots of sounds. It does well in the cold as well. Works great with lithiums in it. But I wish I could use rechargeable batteries instead. The remote runs on 3 AA’s. I use Lithium’s in that as well.

Sure I call a few coyotes in with the Bunny Blues. But I found I call in a lot more with none bunny sounds.

01-Dec-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
If you can check out the MFK version of the foxpro. I think are worth the money with al the coyote vocals on it and that will come in very handy come February. That said I have a foxpro and a lucky duck and use my lucky duck from verminator pc 95% of the time. For remote range I put mine on a tripod and you can get out there quite a bit. Good luck

01-Dec-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
Shot this big old male this am

02-Dec-22
Although I can't comment on the calls the OP mentions, in years of sub-zero hunting I've never had an issue with the remotes on my three older FoxPro calls -- as long as the batteries are fairly fresh, of course.

• Sitka Gear