Gusto 05-Dec-22
spike78 05-Dec-22
Gusto 05-Dec-22
spike78 05-Dec-22
KSflatlander 05-Dec-22
spike78 05-Dec-22
KSflatlander 05-Dec-22
02-Dec-22
For those that have experience with both, would you get a Phase4 33 or V3X 33 that is on sale ($100 off) at local dealer? I’m in the market to upgrade and am looking at these two bows.

02-Dec-22
I actually liked the 29 in the V3X. Mathews is close to not being able to feel the bow when it goes off. Don't think its night and day difference than last year, but there is some noticeable difference with phase 4

02-Dec-22
I’ve shot the Vertix since it came out and just purchased the Phase 4 33”. I’ve shot the V3X to a limited number of times. My son in law has the V3. They are all excellent shooting bows. I haven’t shot the Phase 4 enough to say there’s a great difference. I went with the Phase 4 because it’s probably the last bow I’ll ever buy and $$$ was not a deciding factor for me. I think I’m going to love the longer bow being 6’1”. It just feels better and more stable.

02-Dec-22
I picked up a Phase 4 - 33 this week. I shot everything the dealer had and came away with the Phase 4. My thoughts regarding the P4 vs 33x is that if you already own the 33x it’s probably not worth the upgrade. If you don’t and it’s $100 difference, I’d buy the p4 every-time. Second place bow for me was the Bowtech 34SS. That too was a great shooting bow. In fact I went in most interested in the 34SS and the new Carbon Bowtech. Like is stated above Mathews is getting to the point of not even feeling the bow go off and all you hear is the rest drop.

02-Dec-22
Thanks. I currently have a Vertix as well. I only have a 28” draw but I shoot better with longer ATA bows. I keep struggling with bows in the 30” +\- ATA range. I shoot my old Hoyt Vector 35 better than my Vertix, even though the Vertix is smoother, quieter, and less hand shock. I gotta move to a longer ATA bow.

02-Dec-22
I have both and am currently reviewing the Phase 4. Agree that if you own the V3X you may want the incremental improvements delivered by the Phase 4. But there’s no material difference IMO between the two.

03-Dec-22
I have both and am currently reviewing the Phase 4. Agree that if you own the V3X you may want the incremental improvements delivered by the Phase 4. But there’s no material difference IMO between the two.

03-Dec-22
The rubber between the limbs on the P4 is a huge turn off for me. If it’s anything like their harmonic dampers it will be dry rotted in 2-3 years. Presumably this is covered under their lifetime warranty but what a hassle…

03-Dec-22

03-Dec-22
I’ve had a Vertix for 4 years and the dampeners are as good as the day I bought it. I know 4 other people with Mathews dampeners on different bows and they are all fine.

What do you do…leave yours outside? I call complete BS.

Anyone on here have dry rot issues with Mathews dampeners? If yes, can you post a picture?

03-Dec-22
I have a 2010 Mathews Drenalin LD - no issues with the dampeners. I second the opinion that the longer ATA bows shoot great. The LD is 37" and shoots like a target bow. My brother borrowed it due to an eye issue (its left-handed) and harvested a doe in MN. I truly wish that the archery companies could get over the current performance barrier - I really want to reach 300 fps with a 27.5 inch draw and a hunting arrow.

03-Dec-22
Of all the Mathews I’ve owned and all my kids and buddies Mathews I also have never had an issue with the dampeners… they have held up better than the dipped finishes on recent Mathews that’s for sure. Maybe if the bow was exposed to ozone or left outside? That said I’m not worried about the rubber between the limbs at all in the Phase4, and in fact I like the wider limb pressing ‘stations’ at the ends of the limbs.

03-Dec-22
KSflatlander, You can call complete BS all you want, sorry you’re so offended by my experience…… Lol. No ozone exposure and never left outside. My halon 32 dampers lasted 3 years before they were completely cracked and rotten top and bottom.

03-Dec-22
But the bow will be obsolete in 2-3 years so the degradation of the rubber spacer will not come into play.

03-Dec-22
Please explain why it will be obsolete? I’m not quite following. Granted all Mathews since the Halon are pretty much the same platform just different tweaks in ATA and brace height with a few new features thrown in here and there, but I would hardly consider the Halon obsolete. Heck even late model solo cams and NoCams are still dang nice bows. Only reason I’m looking at the new 33’s is I want a longer ATA bow and like to have the warranty and dealer service peace of mind. But If I could find a mint Traverse local to me at a good price I would snatch it up. There is a decked out Monster MR7 close to me that the seller says was a backup bow and is mint and it’s priced pretty well I’ve even been kicking that one around in my head…

03-Dec-22
It was a tongue in check comment geared towards those that buy a new bow every release.

03-Dec-22
Got it. My /sarc meter must not be calibrated correctly right now.

03-Dec-22
I can’t wait until 2024 when Mathews has an even deader in hand bow!

03-Dec-22
And the cams will be the smoothest ever with the most solid back wall. Every year every brand tops the prior year by a mile. Those engineers in archery are the best in the world.

03-Dec-22
The golf techs manage to offer a better driver every year too and some cost as much as a Bow. I’m glad we have many options but there’s only one Mathews. All Mathews, all the time.

03-Dec-22
I have owned mathews bows since 96 and have never had a damper degrade in any way.

03-Dec-22
I guess I just don’t understand the big hard on for Mathews it’s slower, less tunable, heavier, most expensive accessories compared to all other brands. Yeah it’s a good bow but geez some guys act like it’s the ONLY bow out there. Hell my Gearhead bow is more impressive and my Elite Hunter was much more impressive then the Triax when I drew them back at the shop. I’ve got a bunch of stuff at my house to sell so if I write Mathews on them would you guys buy my junk?

03-Dec-22
Lol spike!!!! New Mathew’s is junk. And I shoot the v3x.

03-Dec-22
Spike and Anchor…have a snickers and sleep in a Holiday Inn. It might help lol.

03-Dec-22
Yeah I didn’t want this to turn into a Mathews bashing thread. Lots of great bows out there right now, go with what fits and works for you best.

03-Dec-22
Go watch You tube. Mathews is the only bow I’ve seen reviewed that shoots the IBO speed it advertises. I like to rib on these bow threads. But, it is what it is. Whether it’s for you or not.

It’s as fast as any bow made. More dead in the hand than any bow made. It’s quieter than any bow made. That’s just the facts of it.

03-Dec-22
Never noticed a bow being dead in the hand while shooting an animal, as far as noise the deer will hear your arrow long before it ever hears your bow. Every hear Mathew’s says “ most dead in the hand bow yet” cmon. It’s a marketing tactic. I’m a Mathew’s fan boy and I would shoot a crossgun before buying this new bow. Price point is a joke as well. 8 limbs with some rubber between them? How long before debris gets in there or if traps water and eats away at one of your 8 limbs? These engineers had all the time in the world to come up with something and that’s all they could think of? Should have kept same platform as v3x and designed a faster cam system.

03-Dec-22
This is freaking hilarious seeing a V3X shooter bashing Mathews for price point and dust. You are so right Anchor, just as soon as water and dust gets in the bearings on your bow, or the rubber in the limb pockets, and then the dampeners dry rot your done. They are all just junk.

Maybe you should just shot a long bow. Oh right, strings break. They are all “junk.”

I bet your that guy that can come up with a thousand things wrong in any situation but never a solution. Then on Monday you got a better idea. You know…that guy.

I’ll bet your hell uh fun around a campfire.

I’m no Mathews fan boy. I only started shooting them in the last 4 years. The Vertix has been the best bow I’ve ever owned. It’s all subjective anyway. Shoot whatever feels right to you and hunt. Good grief.

03-Dec-22
WV I watched an MFJJ YouTube video and he got 323 FPS with the Phase 4. Mathews does not shoot advertised speeds. Most bow companies do embellish speeds.

03-Dec-22
Spike, I gotta admit not watching one on the phase 4. But, I have watched on every bow over the last 4 years. And, there are numerous testers who get the advertised speed out of the Mathews. And, only the Mathews. Also, when shooting multiple bows, the Mathews were always the fastest. Always the quietest. It’s just the way it is. I’m not saying they are the best bows. I’m saying what you can easily verify whether you like them or not.

Anchor point, I’m not a Mathews fanboy. And, I agree that deer hear the arrow much more so than any modern compound. But, a quiet bow is important. And a dead in the hand bow is quieter than one with more shock. So, it does matter how dead in the hand a bow is. It’s a direct correlation to heard bow noise.

I can’t attest to how the limbs will work. I truly don’t care. I’m not going to buy one. And, I haven’t owned one in 20 years. I’m shooting a 2017 mission ballistic and will continue to do so no more then I hunt with a compound. I’m just pointing out all the things being knocked on are just speculation. Maybe they prove true. Maybe not. I’m leaning towards the later.

Anyways, as Charlie said, it’s great to have choices. If you don’t want one, don’t buy it. It’s a pretty simple concept.

04-Dec-22
So many more spirited debates since Bowsite sold their stake in Politico. I was a Mathew’s FanBoy until I shot a RX7.

04-Dec-22
RIT….I was the opposite… Been a Hoyt and Bowtech fan for years. Didn’t love the RX7, but thought the V3X 33 and Phase 4 33 were as good as anything I’ve ever shot.

04-Dec-22
I'd take the V3X 33 over the P4 since they're essentially the same bow and the V3X is already very quiet. Spend the saved $100 on something else.

04-Dec-22
First time ever that KSF has been in a battle and I’m on his side. Love it! MBGA

04-Dec-22
LMAO I’ll enjoy it while it lasts

04-Dec-22
Not sure how a bow could get any better than the V3X. I have it in the 33 ATA plus the Mathews accessories. It’s an incredible shooting system. Surely the Phase 4 is fantastic too.

04-Dec-22
Kota.. if everyone went to the bow shop with an open mind and shot what felt right we wouldn’t have any fanboys.

04-Dec-22
Actually when I went to the bow shop 4 years ago I went to buy a Bowtech as I shot them for 15 years. They talked me into shooting the Vertix while they were setting the Bowtech up. I was sold on the Vertix. Last week I shot the Bowtech SR350 and the Phase 4. The Phase 4 just felt better so that’s what I went with. The Hoyt just didn’t feel right without shooting it. Something in the grip. I’ve never shot Elite.

04-Dec-22
My son has a Mathews V3X 33” and I have a Hoyt Ventum Pro 33”. Both bows are set up exactly the same, same draw length, same draw weight and shooting the same arrows. The Hoyt is just a little faster. (like 3fps). As far as noise we can’t tell the difference between the two. I think his has less hand shock and he thinks mine has less hand shock, but what we both agree on is the Hoyt’s draw cycle is WAY smoother than the Mathews. Both are great bows but the draw cycle on the Mathews killed it for me.

04-Dec-22
^^

My son had the V3X and the RX7 at the same time. Shot a bunch of 3D with both this past summer. Same same on both bows-exactly. Mathews was Quieter a touch than the Hoyt. But the Hoyt was faster. And the Hoyt was more accurate…..he always shot better scores with the Hoyt. Just depends on what you like to draw back.

04-Dec-22
^^^ Blood, yes I agree. Every one’s different. Shoot what fits you the best. I just don’t like the big roll over in the draw cycle on the Mathews, my son don’t mind it.

04-Dec-22
I wouldn’t get too excited about a quiet bow a deer will hear it no matter what and still jump the string. I was watching a video on bows being tested in decibels and they were all literally only a couple decibels difference not enough to matter.

04-Dec-22

spike78's Link
Here is the bow I’ve been using. This is flat out a hunting bow. Perfect size for blind, saddle, stalking, stand you name it. After you carry this around and lift it in a tree you won’t want to go back to a normal size bow it’s so light. I carry mine in a backpack up and down the hills. Mathews now has rubber on the limbs well hate to say it Gearhead has had rubber wrapped on the limbs since day one. I use no string silencers as it’s quiet enough. This little sucker is also plenty fast. If you want a target or 3D bow get Matt’s bow if you want a legit hunting bow look no further. Oh and believe me it’s quality. I believe I read the owner was an aerospace engineer. This bow is like the AR15 of the bow world. I really want to try out the new Elite but I keep thinking about just how awesome this bow is to hunt with!

04-Dec-22
Spike- That must be the “junk” that you own you were talking in your earlier post. You are no longer allowed to say anything bad about Mathews.

It’s ok. Big girls need love too.

04-Dec-22
Interesting bow spike

05-Dec-22
That thing makes an Oneida look good.

05-Dec-22
WhattheFOC it’s actually a nice looking bow when you see it in person. First bow that ever gave me the wow factor when I took it out of the box. KS if you were to give me a free bow between these two choices I’d take the Gearhead over the Mathews no joke.

05-Dec-22
Honestly, good for you Spike. I’m not going to be negative Nancy like you and Anchor. If that’s what you like then more power to you. But ain’t that like you to bash Mathews when you are shooting a monstrosity.

05-Dec-22
I’ve handled and shot the Gearhead bows , one of their really short models which I didn’t like at all, and one of their longer ATA bows which shot better but I didn’t really like either. Build quality seemed fine. Interesting concept but it wasn’t for me .

05-Dec-22
I’m not bashing Mathews I think they make fantastic bows all I said was is their are so many good bows out there and it seems people just gravitate to the name. Any new bow shooter will most likely go to a store with it already in their head they want a Mathews and probably will not shoot a single other brand. I went to a shop years ago shot the Triax and Elite and although they were close the Elite was so much smoother it wasn’t even comparable so I bought that. My main feature is the smoothest draw not sure why “Dead in hand” is the most important feature to people? And that bow you call a monstrosity actually is a fantastic bow all around fast, quiet, quality, compact, light, and their customer service is about the best I’ve experienced. You are a typical fan boy because you knocked my bow without even trying it. It is hands down the best hunting bow I ever had. I don’t care about looks I care about the features that make it THE BEST hunting bow out there.

05-Dec-22
Update to my bow search… this is why you go shoot them and research them. The Hoyt VTM 34 is now in serious consideration. Draw cycle is butter smooth (to me it’s better than the Mathews not gonna lie), it’s a hair longer ATA and a hair shorter brace. I like the fact the Hoyt has a rotating mod for draw length and only a 3 piece string system.

05-Dec-22

spike78's Link
Here you go KS read this about the monstrosity’s. It also turns out this company sold some patents to Mathews whaaaat?

05-Dec-22
Spike- Why are you getting bent out of shape when people start posting unfounded negative comments about your bow. Are you a Gearhead fanboy? You completely fell for that one.

IMO the Disruptor 20 (20 inch axle to axle) you linked has many negatives in real world hunting. It has some positives too. However, for me the short axle to axle makes it a no-go as it is more unstable. The string angle would require an anchor point too far back if you use a peep.

It’s not for me but you go for it. It’s your hunt and your bow.

For the record, an indoor NFAA has nothing to do with bowhunting. I could care less. I go to the shop and shoot different bows and walk out with what feels right.

05-Dec-22
KS would I recommend it for out west long shots at elk, mule deer, and antelope probably not although it is capable and more steady then the short ATA leads you to believe. For Eastern whitetail, turkey, bear, and boar yup it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I’ve been so used to carrying that thing around in the woods that when I lift a bow at a shop they feel foreign to me heavy, unbalanced, etc. It doesn’t bother me what people say about the bow I’m merely just pointing it out to people that have never seen or shot one that they are actually good quality bows and not cheap junk. Hell I think the finish on my bow is still 100% after 3-4 years I’ve owned it. When it’s time to buy a new bow I’m really going to be torn about leaving the perks of a Gearhead for another brand as they are just that damn convenient for all types of woods hunting.

05-Dec-22
I guess you are a fanboy just like you made fun of.

I have a bow that I really like and I shoot really well with it. You just started bashing everything but what you shoot. When the same is done to you they you get your panties in a bunch.

This threads was about the Phase 4 vs V3X. If you don’t have any experience with either the go away with your “ugly girlfriend” bow and enjoy.

• Sitka Gear