Matt 09-Dec-22
bghunter 09-Dec-22
Blood 09-Dec-22
bghunter 09-Dec-22
HDE 09-Dec-22
Blood 09-Dec-22
bghunter 09-Dec-22
03-Dec-22
So I was replacing my black gold fiber optic pin . As I was winding the fiber optic through the top of the shell as need. Fiber snapped off pin.

I emailed black gold and hopefully they replace it. If not can the fiber optic be fixed? They pins are 30 dollars each and really don't want to have to keep ordering new pins.

Also is there a trick to installing without the fiber breaking? The fiber seems awfully stiff to wrap around such a small area and not to break.

03-Dec-22
Not sure of that design, but I replace the fiber in my Spot Hogg sights every so often. You can buy fiber on EBay. Maybe get help you wrap it if you warm it first. Not too much heat though or it will melt.

YouTube can also be really helpful for DIY install tips.

03-Dec-22
Matt,

Thanks. I watched a YouTube video specific to this pon replacement and they didn't mention heating it.

I have done that with some handgun sights, but they are much thicker.

From what I can see not sure if I can just replace the fiber itself. It looks like it is glued into one part of the pin and may sit in a channel of some sort.

I will look a little closer. Thank yon

03-Dec-22

bghunter's embedded Photo
Here is what the pin looks like

03-Dec-22
Is there a ring where the fiber (aiming point) exits the pin body? That is how the SH sights work. It is the flaring of the pin tip that holds it in place. The curve of the fiber also creates some tension.

03-Dec-22

It looks like a loop and then my guess is they just heat up the end to make it stay in place, like I do on my handguns.

03-Dec-22
Thanks for the help and sorry for the bad pictures.

03-Dec-22
That is a lot like how the SH pins are. My guess is you could push the fiber out from the bottom and replace it with fiber bought separately if MBG doesn’t send you a new one.

There is probably enough fiber left in the wrap to fix the broken pin if you can get the broken piece out.

Good luck.

03-Dec-22
One last tip, you can use a pin or small brad/finish nail to push the fiber out from the base on the pin (end opposite the aiming point). I bet it is only held in by friction and side pressure.

03-Dec-22
Just got my sight back from Black Gold this pm. Fiber broke and They advised against replacing the fiber myself due to difficulty getting the “burn” exact. Turn around was 10 days and it’s perfect. Excellent customer service.

03-Dec-22
Matt,

Thanks for the tip. If BG doesn't come through, I will give that a shot.

Charlie,

I was switching from .019 to .029, so maybe that's why they didn't mention they would replace. I will see what they say as I would glad ship to them to swap out just to save the headaches lol

09-Dec-22
Charlie was correct I reached out to BG and am Sending my sight in for them to replace.

09-Dec-22
Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t feel good about owning a sight I couldn’t service/repair myself.

09-Dec-22
I think someone with more apptitude then me could lol.

I almost had it done but the fiber is so thin and to try and wrap it around the top isn't the easiest thing.

09-Dec-22

Blood's embedded Photo
Blood's embedded Photo
I bought a Dual Trac and the top pin is bent. Customer service was awesome and said they will replace it when I send it in free of charge. I did ask them if I could replace the pin myself… And they said absolutely not, because you would have to take the entire sight apart and take all the fibers out. And I would imagine that everything would be at risk of breaking or not going back together properly.

09-Dec-22
Blood, I only shoot one sight pin, but I could see with more than one pin what a pain that would have been to try a d replace.

09-Dec-22
Lancaster Archery.

09-Dec-22
I thought it would be pretty easy, just tedious. They thought otherwise. I didn’t want to send them the whole sight and be without a sight for 2 weeks or more…..so I’m waiting till January to send them the whole unit and get it replaced.

09-Dec-22
It is very tedious epically on the top photochromatic lid.

I am still recovering from my corneal transplant, ugh !!!, so I am lucky I have the time to wait lol.

• Sitka Gear