Two dogs mobile 06-Dec-22
TGbow 06-Dec-22
greenmountain 06-Dec-22
MA-PAdeerslayer 06-Dec-22
fuzzy 07-Dec-22
Cotton 07-Dec-22
BRIBOWl 07-Dec-22
04-Dec-22
Think he tried to grab the buck not knowing it wasnt dead yet. Dang tough lesson!

Im getting a 500 error for uploading pics. Can someone help with that or how do i fix? Or if someone can shoot me there number I will send the pics and they can post them for me.

04-Dec-22
Where was this?

04-Dec-22

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
This from 2018?

04-Dec-22
Thanks sit-O. Yes thats the one. Not sure how I missed that. Thank you for posting it.

04-Dec-22

sitO's Link
You're welcome here's a link to the post I found...

04-Dec-22
DAMMITBOY ! That could have been worse but bad enough as is. The closest I ever came to that was starting to roll a doe over to gut her, grabbed the back legs and she started kicking. I was scared to turn loose as she was faster than me. I just held on to her until she died, probably took 30 seconds or so.

04-Dec-22
I once grabbed the antlers of a wounded buck, never again.

04-Dec-22
Holy chit!

04-Dec-22
I got in a fight with a bull elk once after shooting him with my bow…

Definitely not recommended!

04-Dec-22
Scarred for life. That's a costly lesson I've never had to learn, and never will. I always check first.

04-Dec-22
Yup, happened to me about ten years ago. Amazing how "explosive" they can be.

04-Dec-22
And he still took the Grip, Grin and Bleed pics!!

04-Dec-22
Hell, he’s even long arming it!

04-Dec-22
My uncle likes to tell the story of a big turkey he shot in Missouri. He carried it a half mile back to his pickup over his shoulder. When he threw it in the bed of his pickup, the bird came back to life, hopped out of the truck and ran down the county road with my uncle in hot pursuit. Unfortunately, he never caught up to it.

Matt

04-Dec-22
Treeline I like Story is needed after that comment lol..

05-Dec-22
Always make sure their eyes are OPEN or shoot again.Tell your young hunters this.Had one a couple years ago on the second shot jump to his feet and ran a half circle around me.

05-Dec-22
MA-PA,

I had posted that story on here back right after it happened. Have looked for the thread but not found it. Might be worth putting back up for fun.

05-Dec-22
About 40 years ago I had just got on a knoll and saw a 6 point walking up it I laid flat on my stomach and when he got about 6' from me I jumped up growling. His eyes bugged out and he took off and I laughed. But afterwards I jot to thinking that could have gone really bad and was a really stupid thing I did. Live & learn...

05-Dec-22
I love that the guy still managed to take some nice photos with his skull gashed open!

05-Dec-22
GreyGhost - Closest I came to that was walking out of the woods, tom over the shoulder, and after about 100yards, the dang dead turkey passed a startlingly long bubbly sounding batch of flatulence. I was holding the feet, slung over my shoulder, so the "exit space", if you will, was less than a foot from my ear.

I jumped and dropped the bird.

Then looked around hoping there were no trail cams or hunters that could have possibly seen me! ha ha ha!

As for the guy the OP posted about - wholly smokes! That's wild! Hope he healed up well and didnt have to many scars.

05-Dec-22
Always make sure the eyes are OPEN, and never approach a downed animal from the feet side, but from the backbone side. When I'm not 100% sure the animal is dead, I'll take a blade of grass or a small twig and touch the open eye. If it blinks, then shoot again!

05-Dec-22
Not sure? Put a second arrow in him. Money well spent. I heard a story of a buck coming back to life in a station wagon. That’s why you should always gut them in the woods!;)

05-Dec-22
Or...not drive a station wagon

05-Dec-22
How on earth do you have that bad of a cut and still take a hero pic?

06-Dec-22
Many years ago, when I was much younger, and stronger, I was on my hands and knees blood trailing a six point buck I had put an arrow through. It was in a real thick place with honey suckle and green briers. I saw the antlers and grabbed one to drag it out. It wasn't dead and reacted violently. I held on and ended up with my legs wrapped around the deer. It was thrashing but I held on and when it calmed down a bit I cut it's throat with my hunting knife. First and last time I ever cut a deer throat. Now I always touch them on the eye before i move them. A guy in Maine told me that. It it had been a big buck it may have ended up worse for me. t

06-Dec-22
Poke'm in the eye. If they blink, shoot'em again. This business of walking up and prodding the flank is for city folks. Pupillary response does not lie. I was starting an IV on a declining patient in respiratory distress 2 weeks ago while the respiratory therapist was drawing an ABG in her other arm. I happened to look down at her face and noticed her eyes appeared dead even though the monitor said her heart rate was in the 90's. I quickly reached down and touched a pupil with my gloved hand and yep, no response at which time I hit the Code Blue button. The monitor was wrong, she was dead and had pulseless electrical activity.

06-Dec-22
I shot an 8 point in the neck with a rifle about 10 yrs ago. Dropped right there. Walked up, only had to drag it 50 ft to get to a field edge. Started pulling on one horn felt a twisting motion. Looked back and his eyes were shut tight and he started kicking his legs. Luckily I had my gun in hand or I believe he would have regained consciousness

06-Dec-22
I shot a male African lion about 4years ago with my bow. It only ran 30 yd and died. When we were approaching it 1 of the trackers cracked a branch to use to poke in the eye. I did not see him grab for the branch and when I heard the crack I jumped about 15' thinking another lion was Coming at us. They all had a big laugh at my expense. After that when he poked it in the eye it blinked and they jumped 15'. I got my revenge rather quickly. It simply was nerves the lion was Dead

06-Dec-22
When I was young, an old timer told me a story about a guy who shot a nice buck with his new rifle. He walked up an put his new rifle in the antlers for a picture. The buck jumped up and ran away, the buck and the new rifle never to be seen again. The moral, make sure your deer is dead.

06-Dec-22
I always poke the eye - and I am extra careful if I have not seen the entry exit and/or enough blood to confirm a lung/heart shot. Never had eyes shut. Also anything bigger or with horns I am extra careful. A does kick is not like a bull elk antler thrust.

06-Dec-22
Bull elk antlers are bad but their kicks are worse…

06-Dec-22
I was duck hunting before I got my "adrena-line" finisher or whatever they are called, shot a duck, retrieved it, thought it was 100% dead. Was walking the river and saw some ducks up ahead so I laid down the ducks in my hand to stalk up on the ducks in the river. Sat them down and the duck took off running/flying across the field!

Ran it down and finished it, but after that I bought a "finisher" and use it on every duck, regardless of how dead they act.

A 2.5 pound mallard gave me enough of a jump, I can only imagine if a buck jumped up at me!

06-Dec-22
In Maine, many years ago, a guy shot a big doe. He rolled it over on it's back to field dress it they guess. They found him dead, along side the deer with his face kicked in. That is when a man told me to always touch a deer's eye with a stick before messing with it.

06-Dec-22
I saw a video somewhere, of a guy (from Connecticut I believe) that shot a turkey with his bow. Walked out, assumed it was dead, grabbed it, and walked back to the camera with the bird, to give the details of how the hunt went down. Suddenly , the bird was resurrected, took off and escaped…….Should have poked it in the eye, first.

06-Dec-22
I know of a couple of young guys who 30ish years ago were bowfishing for carp on a Virginia lake. One of the guys (not me) shot a wild mallard duck swimming and retrieved it with the bow reel. The other guy (not, not me) twisted the ducks neck, released the fishing arrow, and quickly deposited the duck into the cooler he was sitting on. A half hour later "not, not me" opened the cooler to retrieve a cool grain-based canned beverage and the duck scrambled out and flew away. Or so I heard it. ;)

06-Dec-22
Many years ago a cousin and I were bird hunting for pheasants and quail. We were hunting a small draw/creek. My Brittany went on point at a brush pile. I assumed there was a covey of Quail there. When I tried to flush them a coyote came out. I rolled him at about 10 yards with a load of 12 gauge #6 shot. We went on and finished our hunt and stopped to retrieve the coyote on the way to my pickup. He was where we left him. I grabbed a back leg and drug him about 1/4 mile to my pickup. When I laid him in the road while we put up our guns something just did not seem right. I poked my gun barrel towards his face and he blinked. I quickly finished him off. No other signs of life. Just the eye blink.

06-Dec-22
Man..that is bad.

06-Dec-22
This reminds me of a hunt over fifty years ago. My best Friend's sister shot a small deer just before dark in our October bow season. I was visiting so I was invited to drag the deer out. We quickly found the deer in her bed. She was alive but not feeling well. My friend planned to cut her throat but at the first prick of the knife she gave him a mighty kick. . How he fathered children in the next decade is a miracle. She and followed the deer while he and his father took a little breather. The deer ended up at the bottom of a steep bank. She was begging for us to end it. My friend had recovered enough to join in. We each selected a rock from the old stone wall and let fly at the same time. Two big rocks hitting her head at the same time ended it for her. We quickly field dressed her and brought her home. Those creatures are tough for sure.

06-Dec-22
Damn. Death by rocks….that’s tough

07-Dec-22
[MA-PA Deerslayer ] Up until a handful of centuries ago the primary predatory interaction between hominids and cervids involved rocks in some fashion. Steel broadheads, gunpowder, etc. are new technology

07-Dec-22
My Grandpa told me about a guy that shot a big buck and immediately wanted his buddy to take his picture with it. He laid his rifle against his antlers and the buck jumped up and ran off with it. Not sure it was true or not but a good story anyway! Cotton

07-Dec-22
WOW!

• Sitka Gear