Squash 20-Dec-22
LBshooter 23-Dec-22
Juancho 23-Dec-22
Zim 24-Dec-22
N8tureBoy 26-Dec-22
Medicinemann 26-Dec-22
fuzzy 28-Dec-22
04-Dec-22
As I was skinning a doe I shot my grandson inquired about eating the tongue. I have never tried it. Anybody had it?

04-Dec-22
I've tried but it's quite small. It tastes good but a lot of work for a little bit of meat

04-Dec-22
Yes. Easy to remove. Add with the heart meat for Philly sandwich. Excellent.

04-Dec-22
Negative

04-Dec-22
Never been that desperate plus mine are dried out from hanging out for the pictures.

04-Dec-22
Yuk

04-Dec-22
I take the tongue out as soon as I remove the heart and tenderloins.

I guess I grew up in another world.

04-Dec-22
Go on YouTube you might learn something

04-Dec-22
I grew up eating beef tongue and deer is about the same. On a bowhunting trip to Africa the first night the meal was Eland and Kudu tongue. I don't know if they were testing the American or not but I raved about how good it was. I mentioned I like liver and the PH fixed his specialty of liver and kidney from the cape buffalo I shot.

04-Dec-22
No, I’m afraid it would lick me…….

04-Dec-22
I have several times. I like the flavor/texture but there isn't much there.

04-Dec-22
When we get a couple at the same time I’ve made deer tongue tacos! Delicious, but it take 2-3 to make it worth it

04-Dec-22
Guess I'm in your same world Groundhunter, I also take the heart and tongue, but I pickle them... Yummmm...

Also take out the tongue first so not to be hanging out for disgusting photos, nothing sadder for me to see than a hero pic with a bloody tongue hanging out, shows no respect for the animal...

04-Dec-22
Only way I've had it is pickled. Very tasty.

04-Dec-22
I used to keep the moose tongues, more for the novelty to serve non-hunters. One will feed several people, but it's a pita to prep it. It's OK, but not something I'd walk very far for,

My wife says she's not eating anything from an animals mouth, so she just has some eggs instead.

04-Dec-22
Never tried deer tongue , but have had plenty cow tongue

04-Dec-22
My grandson will eat about anything so we may have to try it!

05-Dec-22
Never have but I eat plenty of beef tongue. It’s really easy to cook. A little water in the insta pot, 60 minutes on high pressure. Pull it out and let it cool and the skin peels off like a banana. Slice and use however you want. I like to just slice, warm it back up and eat it with some hot sauce. I haven’t shot a deer in 22 years since I can’t draw that tag. Last elk was 5 years ago.

05-Dec-22
Beef tongue is really good, and very expensive now days.

I save elk tongue from time to time.not as fatty as beef tongue but still good.

05-Dec-22
Ambush...I am definitely using that last line in the future...too funny man. Yes I love deer tongue and I've had moose as well. I think some people think it's just the part you lick with but there is a nice ball of meat back there.

05-Dec-22
I sometimes do pull and cook them. Lots of work, for little meat but tasty.

05-Dec-22
Like someone said, "I don't want to be tasting something that might be tasting me back"! Ha!

05-Dec-22
Had some moose tongue tacos in the Yukon made by an older Indian woman. Down right tasty!

05-Dec-22
Beef tongue yes, at taco shops. My grandpa also made a jerky out of beef tongue. Deer tongue no, too small for me to deal with.

05-Dec-22
When we get a couple at the same time I’ve made deer tongue tacos! Delicious, but it take 2-3 to make it worth it

05-Dec-22
The wife has been after me to take the tongues from our deer after seeing a Meat Eater episode where the guys on the show kept it and cooked it up. My standard answer is "it's too small to mess with". Not saying that it wouldn't be good, just not worth the trouble. I suppose you could collect a few then cook em' up.

05-Dec-22
i'll pass

05-Dec-22
I've always had beef tongue and it's delicious. I always just figured the deer tongue wasn't enough to mess with. Might have to.

05-Dec-22
I always loved beef tongue as a kid. Leftovers make a great sandwich. Especially in 7th grade when your friends ask you what you’ve got to trade today. ;)

Never had any takers, but only because they didn’t know what they were missing.

Unfortunately, it’s no longer a cheap cut. That made it even better at our house…

05-Dec-22
You guys turning your nose up, apparently do not know how to prepare it . If you boil it the outer layer peels off, and you are left with a great piece of muscle. I also pickle it with the heart. But it is small, moose tongue is great.

05-Dec-22

Stekewood's Link
Love making tacos from the tongues. Don't knock it til you try it. It's excellent.

05-Dec-22
Stekeeood, agreed. Tacos lengua are hands down the best tacos.

05-Dec-22

05-Dec-22

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
Chipotle avocado and deer tongue appetizers, I have no idea why the pic is so big??

05-Dec-22
The crew is in PA for the week, stacking up some does and my sister in law just killed her first buck. I sent the text earlier to save the tongues. They all laughed. Gonna try some of these recipes when they get home.

05-Dec-22
A good tongue sandwich speaks for itself.

06-Dec-22
i offered a friend some deer tongue and he said no thanks because it came from a deer's mouth. So I gave him an egg.

06-Dec-22
A lot of these "do you eat ____?" Threads go sideways with some folks deriding those who choose to prepare and consume non traditional cuts and portions. I'm pleased that so far this one is respectful.

06-Dec-22
Always looking to expand our culinary playbook, I was reading this thread to my wife. She said she’s in favour of tongue in her taco.

20-Dec-22
"tongue in her taco"... Hmmmm, took me a second, but I now get it...8^)))

20-Dec-22
Hahaha zbone.

20-Dec-22
My dog just ate one….found it in a pile of puke later that night. I think I’m a pass…..

20-Dec-22
Yeah, and then your dog probably ate his puke, so what’s your point ? LOL

23-Dec-22
Yea, but don't they lick their arse and other parts? Lol

23-Dec-22
tongue and heart are the first things I eat

24-Dec-22
My wife in Chinese and throws a fit when I forget either the tongue or heart. Just glad she doesn’t make me save the stomach or intestines, which are in many Chinese dishes. Been monitoring airline flight costs as prices drop. Expect to resume our annual visits soon.

26-Dec-22

N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
It was a lot of work for a little meat but came out good with a schmeer of horseradish mayo on french bread.

26-Dec-22
FDP X 2.....pickled tongue is very good.

28-Dec-22
Jake I agree, pickled heart and pickled tongue, yum

• Sitka Gear