PAOH 11-Dec-22
Whocares 11-Dec-22
Watching Dawn 11-Dec-22
ki-ke 11-Dec-22
elkster 16-Dec-22
WV Mountaineer 16-Dec-22
8's or Better 16-Dec-22
08-Dec-22
I’m going to do this for the first time and would welcome any ideas from y’all Been wanting to do it for a while.Thanks Lewis

08-Dec-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I just made shanks last weekend. Didn’t follow much of a recipe. Just coated the shanks with seasoned flour and browned them in butter & olive oil. Then placed them in a crockpot with some vegetable soup and cooked them for 6hrs on low.

Delish!

08-Dec-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

08-Dec-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

08-Dec-22
Looks tasty.

08-Dec-22
Olive oil in cast iron skillet. Get it hot. Season shanks. Dear until a little crust forms on the outside. Flip until the whole shank is seared off good. Crock pot partially covered for 5-6 hours on low. Eat the ghewy yumminess and wander why you’ve never done it before.

08-Dec-22
We don't cut them into shank steaks. It works just as well to remove the shanks from the bone, cut them in half if they're long like elk or moose for better storage, proportions and to fit in the pan and slow cooker better. Either follow an Osso Buco recipe, or substitute Emeril's Essence for the Osso Buco spices, or make up your own. Note: Cougars have some big, great tasting shanks.

08-Dec-22
Man, cougar shanks are the best. I particularly like the 40-50 year old ones

08-Dec-22

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo

Bwhnt's Link
Just made this last week. Just as good as beef. I didn't have beef broth so I used French onion soup.

08-Dec-22
I put them in the Instant Pot for 55 minutes, with wine and water. They come out amazing!

08-Dec-22

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Smoked
Smoked
I like to smoke them a couple hours then simmer for 5 hours in green enchilada sauce. The meat comes out just like shredded beef from a Mexican restaurant and can be used for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.

08-Dec-22

Smoked
Smoked
Simmering
Simmering
Double

08-Dec-22
Wow looks great all I’ll be doing this in the few days Thanks Lewis

08-Dec-22
Cut the shank's in half or thirds to expose the bone marrow. Add a tablespoon of better than bullion beef flavor an onion and cover with water in insta pot on high for 45 minutes. We use the meat in Mexican pulled meat type dishes tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc and use the stock for cooking during the week.

08-Dec-22
I shanked a cougar once, too, Brad! :-)

09-Dec-22
I like to smoke them a couple of hours and then just slow cook in a cast iron with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and jalapeños.

Have done them like a Mississippi roast and they’re great that way too.

Gonna have to try that green or red chili enchilada sauce simmer!

09-Dec-22
All these low and slow recipes sound good. I use my moms pot roast recipe. Braise covered in the oven at 300 F in a roaster 4 hours with beef broth or chicken stock , top with sliced onion and undiluted cream of mushroom soup and cook 30 minutes, add a dash of A 1 just before serving

10-Dec-22
Question do y’all brown the sides or just the bone ends thanks Lewis

10-Dec-22
I just season and brown and then 50 mins in the Instant pot.

10-Dec-22
I brown the sides and ends Lewis

10-Dec-22
We marinade for a few days, then in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours. All that sinew just melts away. We have an instant pot but seems like meat cooked in it retains a gamey flavour.

10-Dec-22
If I have frozen, bone in shanks, then I cut them into 1 1/2" thick pucks with a Sawzall. Bone in definitely taste better, but takes up way more room in the slow cooker.

Sometimes I debone and cut into pucks before freezing.

Spice, brown well in a heavy pan. Once removed form the pan, pour a little water into the pan and stir to loosen all the drippings and that goes into the slow cooker too.

I do the same with neck meat. It's great as a rolled string roast in the slow cooker or sliced across the grain, again 1 1/2' thick and treated just like shank. No waste on neck meat this way because every ounce is delicious!

10-Dec-22

10-Dec-22

10-Dec-22

Jaquomo's Link
We use Steve Rinella's Meateater recipe, the best I've found so far.

11-Dec-22
APauls, How do you cook them again? :)

Gotta love the cougar shanks. Usually plenty of meat that falls off the bone.

11-Dec-22
Meat eater recipe x2

11-Dec-22
Just looked at this thread. What stood out is, well, Brad I don't think a 40-50 yr old would be classified as a cougar to you! Just sayin.

11-Dec-22

Watching Dawn's embedded Photo
Watching Dawn's embedded Photo
I smoke on the grill for 2 hours then put in metal pan with A jus seasoning and water for another couple hours. Pull off when falling off the bone, then crock pot/roaster the next day for 6 hours or so with same liquids. Great flavor and gravy. Here’s a picture of the start, made one today it’s not finished yet though.

11-Dec-22
Hank Shaw has some good ideas for Osso Buco….great place to start.

Ziek, ya can’t call it osso buco without the marrow bone. You made stew….lol

16-Dec-22
Bone with a hole = Osso Bucco

16-Dec-22
I’m betting Watching Dawn’s is going to be delicious.

16-Dec-22
https://www.missallieskitchen.com/venison-shanks/

This was absolutely incredible!! The only thing I tweaked was I went 3:30 on total cooking time and it was well worth it.

• Sitka Gear