fdp 12-Dec-22
Grey Ghost 12-Dec-22
goelk 12-Dec-22
butcherboy 12-Dec-22
Grey Ghost 13-Dec-22
Lewis 14-Dec-22
MacyHunter 04-Apr-23
11-Dec-22
What has everyone asked from Santa for new outdoor equipment? What have you been purchasing for friends and family for Christmas? My 10 year old is on his second fly rod and wants to get into tying flies. Could someone recommend a good starter kit?

11-Dec-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I'd get him a Renzetti Traveler vise. I've had mine for 30 years, and have tied thousands of flies with it. Having the rotary feature is key.

Orvis sells a nice starter kit with the basic tools and materials, but the vice that's included is junk.

Matt

11-Dec-22
Actually I wouldn't buy a kit. I would a good vice (the Renzetti above is an excellent choice) then I would get a good assortment of hooks, and the materials to tie just a couple of patterns to start with. The Orvis pattern book is an excellent resource.

That's what I always suggested my students do.

11-Dec-22
Thanks Matt and Frank. I’m going to go with the recommended vise. We don’t really know what materials we need yet, so will also go with a beginning kit that has 8 patterns. I’ll also grab the pattern book as that’s readily available as well. Really appreciate the guidance!

11-Dec-22
Is there a Trout Unlimited chapter in your area? Many host basic fly tying classes. There area lot of good videos and books out there but some hands-on training is worth seeking out.

11-Dec-22
I will check for that as well, Dana. Thank you!

12-Dec-22

fdp's Link

12-Dec-22

Grey Ghost's Link
FYI, the Dr. Slick company makes quality fly tying tools like scissors, bobbins, whip finishers, hackle pliers, hair stackers, etc...they have gift sets. See link. They aren't cheap, but they should last a long long time for your son. Just don't let him cut wire with the scissors. An ultra sharp pair of small scissors is an absolute must for fly tying.

Matt

12-Dec-22
grey Ghost nice stoneflies. you tie them? Please post list of materials . Thanks

12-Dec-22
I’ve tied for many years and Now only tie a few basic patterns for dry flies and a few for nymphs. Most of the water I fish is fast moving pocket water so I found that the trout don’t care what it looks like because it’s gone before they get a chance to study it so they better get it while it’s there. Lol slower moving water is a different story but I still don’t get to crazy with it. My hair stacker is an old .45 pistol casing. I do use hackle pliers, bobbin, whip finisher, good vise, sharp scissors, wire cutter.

13-Dec-22
Goellk, thanks! I developed that golden stonefly pattern back in the '90s. It's kind of a PITA to tie, but it's been a steady producer. PM me for the materials list, so we don't hijack this thread.

Matt

14-Dec-22
Second the Renzetti vise high quality and great features I get most of my fly stuff from Mad River Outfitters great knowledgeable staff Good luck Lewis

04-Apr-23
For your 10-year-old interested in tying flies, a good starter kit can be a great gift. Some popular options include the Orvis Fly-Tying Kit or the Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly-Tying Kit. Both are designed for beginners and include all the necessary materials and tools. I've also recently found that older female relatives are keen on flowers, so I often order Mississauga flower delivery services as gifts. Overall, I hope that is helpful.

• Sitka Gear