Corax_latrans 17-Dec-22
Bou'bound 17-Dec-22
Coondog 17-Dec-22
Paul@thefort 18-Dec-22
Zim 18-Dec-22
glidingindian 18-Dec-22
PECO2 21-Dec-22
14-Dec-22
Title suffices as an explanation for the feedback sought on this post.

14-Dec-22
They cost more than having arrows with regular nocks.

14-Dec-22
There not straight 7 to 10 thousand crooked

14-Dec-22
I never needed them, so if it ain't broke....

Matt

14-Dec-22
Because every season I waste too much time fiddling with them I always have a hard time keeping them working properly. I have tried many different brands with the same results just not worth the effort to me.

14-Dec-22
Too expensive and I normally always shoot all the way through deer and the arrows go under the leaves. The only time I ever found one after shooting a deer was because it was stuck in a tree on the off side of a deer.

14-Dec-22

Supernaut's embedded Photo
Supernaut's embedded Photo
I never used them when I hunted with a compound so I don't have any desire to use them now that I hunt with a recurve. They sure do look cool in the footage I've watched but I have heard guys complain about the price and reliability issues, not turning on etc.

I hunted with aluminum arrows this season and put a reflective wrap on my arrows before I fletched. They REALLY stand out when hit with a light.

14-Dec-22
Never had the need or desire.

14-Dec-22
In order of importance:

I believe there is a chance for a deer to freak out from them and duck where they otherwise might not. Not all deer but some. Some deer hate a trail cam flash some don’t. #2 They’re expensive. #3 they don’t weigh the same as a regular nock.

14-Dec-22
They are neat to watch in flight, but I feel the same as most posts have stated, plus they do not make them for my arrows.

14-Dec-22
I have not seen a need for lighted nocks. I think it is more important to observe the deer's reaction.

14-Dec-22
I do because I have found every arrow that was intact that I shot at a deer since using them.Some brands are a pain and always make sure you get the right ones for the arrow.

14-Dec-22
I have some and still don't use them because I do not want to take the time to mess around with them. When I did use them, they would get bumped and go on. When I did shoot an animal, they would be dim due to a weak battery. I guess that I don't feel that I need them or I would make sure that they were working and bright before each hunt. I was proof shooting some arrows this year with IW heads. One would not fly with the others. It had a lighted nock in it. I replaced the nock and it flew with the others. When I pulled the lighted nock I realized that it was bent.

14-Dec-22
I put up with them because every season I don't use them, there's usually one event where it would have been nice to have.

Amazon has some cheapos (4 for $18ish) that I've been using. Have enough that I tune with them and use dead ones for year-round practice.

14-Dec-22
Because I already spend too much on bowhunting. LOL. Seriously, I'm always late trying stuff. I didn't switch to carbon arrows until 2008. I've never really felt a strong need to use them. My shots are usually close and I've not had trouble seeing where I hit animals. Also they add weight to the back of the arrow which I've not been a fan of. I can see their benefit and may try them eventually though. Might pay for themselves by helping find arrows.

14-Dec-22
If I don't need it, I don't want it. And lighted nocks are way, wayyyy down that list.

14-Dec-22
Different POI than my regular arrows. Not worth the time messing with them and the ones I have tried are not as high quality are standard nocks, not to mention the cost.

14-Dec-22
I have one arrow with a lighted nock that I use the last 45 minutes. The rest of the time my other 4 arrows have regular nocks.

You need to get the nock fit on the string to “mostly” match your regular nocks. I’ve tried 6-8 different ones and trust none. That’s why only one arrow gets one.

14-Dec-22
Charlie, That is exactly what I did when I used them. Now I am very reluctant to shoot anything in low light conditions. At 70 I don't see that well in low light. I often cannot tell if a buck is big enough and I don't need to shoot a doe and risk a poor hit.

14-Dec-22
Doesn’t fly the same - have to re-site, not worth the hassle.

14-Dec-22
I use them. I don't have issues with the ones I use, Nocturnals. Some of you that say they are expensive are probably shooting Iron Will broadheads, and shoot a new bow every year. They are amazing, worth the extra money and "hassle" in low light.

14-Dec-22
All these years I thought I was the only one that tried them and hated them.

14-Dec-22
I use Nocturnals. The difference in weight has insignificant point of impact change inside of 40 yards. They’ve worked fine for me on dozens of kills. Often after a pass through blood gets into the batter/switch and they’re toast, so those are practice nocks. Nope, they’re not cheap, but seriously $25 or so dollars per year. In the grand scheme of this hobby, that’s nothing.

14-Dec-22
They tend to make your arrows not penetrate, and they have this magical spell that makes grown men hug, and cry.

14-Dec-22
I tried them this year with my longbow. Gotta admit, I love watching them fly down range. But, I bought 6 and only had two with close enough string tension to fly like my not lighted ones.

I bought three more for my compound. They flew the same and that’s what I’m hunting with now. Going to try and out an arrow through one or two with them before the season goes out.

I will say they aren’t made for hitting hard stuff. They break pretty easy. Not sure if I’ll stick with them or not.

14-Dec-22
I got some Nocturnals with a gift card because it was the only thing in Cabelas I might put to use. I have them only on hog arrows since I will shoot them in very low light past the time I would shoot a deer.

14-Dec-22
They can be a bit of a pain, but i think the pros outweigh the cons. Aside from the obvious benefit of seeing your POI in low light, it's nice being able to quickly and quietly locate your arrow after a shot to be able to make an assessment and back out if needed rather than searching for an arrow in the dark. I've had scenarios when I didn't get a pass thru and could see the deer run off in the timber with the nock lit up. I've also been on a track where the deer got up and ran off and we could see the arrow still in him. All valuable information that would have otherwise not been available with an acoustic setup.

14-Dec-22
I use Nocturnals. Test shoot them before the season, and I'm good to go.

My shots are close, there isn't any difference with the Nocturnals and regular nocks.

As far as the price.... I think they are inexpensive..

14-Dec-22
Just like all nocks, you should test fit the nock on your string. I use 400 grit carbon paper to make them fit with the tension I like. I haven't used them for a number of years, but Nockturnals seemed to be the most reliable and the leading brand at the time was pretty poor. A lighted nock disappearing through a jet black bear is definitely fun to watch!

14-Dec-22
I like stuff simple. It is pretty cool watching them fly but at 175fps, I get to see all my arrows fly.

14-Dec-22
Weight and durability issues.

14-Dec-22
It's just one more thing to worry about. Also, I don't want to encourage myself to peek at the arrow flight. I can generally see the hit, and have a pretty good idea of where I hit, but I try to make sure and follow through, and don't want to encourage myself to drop my bow arm and watch the arrow. I work REALLY hard on my form, and I don't want to mess it up.

14-Dec-22
I prefer the integrity of OEM nocks over lighted nocks. I use Gold Tips pro hunters with the ultra lite nock. I love that nock. It has been super consistent for me and I have never had one fail.

14-Dec-22
Not legal to use in Idaho.

14-Dec-22
Never really saw the benefit.

14-Dec-22
I solved the difference in flight between regular nocks and lighted nocks. I have no problem with them now. I glued a 1/8" x 1/2" steel rod in a regular nock and it weighs the same as a lighted nock. Hence regular weighted nock and lighted nocks weigh the same and shoot the same.

14-Dec-22
I tried them for the first time this season. On the advice of some of the fellas on here I picked up some Nockturnals...and I will never use any other noc again.

14-Dec-22
They would reduce my FOC from 18.2% to 17.3%. :)

Seriously tho - I can see the advantage, but buddies who use them seem to be forever fiddling with them. I have enough other stuff to keep straight without adding these. WTF

14-Dec-22
Ambush: U da man. Never thought of sanding them down to match my regulars. Thank you sir.

14-Dec-22
Tried them, so-so. Won't likely buy anymore. Just don't see the need.

14-Dec-22
Used them off and on over the years, always seemed to be issues with them. Easier to not mess around with anymore.

14-Dec-22
I can’t figure out how to put them on my wood arrows.

14-Dec-22
I worry that game may react to the sight of the lighted nock when the arrow is approaching. I want to reduce the chances of my target reacting to the shot. Thus, no lighted nock for me. They are neat and I have bought them as a gift for my brother - he loves them.

14-Dec-22
i'll be brutally honest.....i'm to cheap to spend the money for them

14-Dec-22
I wouldn't sand or modify a nock in any way. That is a recipe for failure which could lead to a damaged bow or more importantly, a damaged you.

14-Dec-22
Can not get them to fly the same as regular nocks on my VAP SS arrows. Standard size arrows I have not had an issue.

14-Dec-22
Apparently I’m the luckiest Feller alive because all mine have worked wonderfully with unnoticeable POI shifts, I’m surprised at so many people not using them

14-Dec-22
Agreed Boggs. I'm not "forever" messing with them like everyone here, and they group and tune perfectly for me. The only downside I can think of is the cost. Which is about the same as a good set of socks.

14-Dec-22
I agree with Boggs too. I can’t tell any difference in arrow flight (I’m not Levi Morgan), don’t concern myself with the slight increase in tail weight. I mix and match lighted and standard in my quiver.

I will say I have experienced some that don’t light at the moment of truth for whatever reason, but to me then it’s just a regular nock. No real loss. I see mainly upside to using them other than cost.

My personal favorite is Glory Nock brand. Similar to Nockturnals, but way better off switch mechanism and seem to be less effected by blood intrusion.

—jim

14-Dec-22
I Don't use them just because its one more thing when I'm already too busy. On my long range setups 50+ yds I notice they don't fly as well, and less consistent of a nock. Cost factors in for higher quality etc.

I DO use them on occasion, especially when stand hunting. I started self filming my Blind/tree stand hunts with just my phone and a holder. Super easy at ranges up to 30 yds. Lighted nocks really helps with the camera, especially in low light, like this P&Y Black bear at 15 yds

14-Dec-22
Never bothered with them. Of course I do love shooting at them in 3d competition;)

14-Dec-22
Simply not needed

14-Dec-22
Bowfreak, I've never had a problem sanding .002" of an inch off both sides of the nock throat. And many times there are tiny snags on the nock from the manufacturing process which can cause inconsistencies.

When I make up a dozen shafts, I test pull all the arrows to make sure they are the same and not too loose or tight. Too tight being worse, IMO.

14-Dec-22
Boggs, I agree. Nocturnals no problem

14-Dec-22
I too, as Bou knows, love seeing them bury into a black bear. That and whitetail tree stand distance for me doesn’t affect my arrow flight at all. (With my set up)

They are just plain fun to shoot.

I haven’t used them on other species and don’t plan to though.

Merry Christmas All. Almost here.

14-Dec-22
Ambush,

You don’t have a problem until you have a problem.

14-Dec-22
Because I hate getting in my tree stand early in the morning, nocking an arrow and having the lighted nock turn on. Just a pain to mess with when you're not able to get it turned off. My experience has been they only light up half the time after the shot.

14-Dec-22
White fletchings and white nocks. I can see it fly just fine

14-Dec-22
Bowfreak, what possible problem could I have from a nock that is .002” of an inch thinner in the throat. I’m willing to bet that I can find .020” (ten times as much) difference just between different brands.

14-Dec-22
Love them for bears at a bait site. Don’t care much for them other than that.

14-Dec-22
I use and like Nocturnals, as I said earlier.

I read the replies, and I get that some guys don't use them for a variety of reasons...

But to say they are "too expensive", I just don't get.

I paid 22 bucks for a pack of 3 Nocturnals, off Amazon. Local archery shops in my area, Nocturnals are 3 for 30 bucks. I would have bought them at the local shop, but it was out of my size.

Too expensive??? SMH

14-Dec-22
For years I didn’t use them because I didn’t want to add weight on the back of the arrow.

Fast forward to the last 3 years I have used them for the exact opposite reason. Plus they do help a lot in tracking arrow flight.

Nocturnals is all I will ever use.

14-Dec-22
airleak, the OP asked why people DON’T use lighted nocks. You’ve now posted twice that you DO use lighted nocks…and you shake YOUR head? Just sayin’.

14-Dec-22
I like them. Old eyes have trouble seeing arrow flight now that bows are so much faster and a lighted knock helps with that. I had a lot of trouble with Easton & Lumenocks randomly turning on while in the stand. Also in the bow case. Sucks to find out the batteries are dead. Helps to find errant shots. Losing arrows in the grass is expensive. Nocturnal are my choice. Blood in the switch can usually be cleaned out while fresh. Consistent size has been a problem. Getting a nice snug fit isn’t guaranteed. Knocks that fit well on warm weather fall out of the shaft sometimes when it’s cold out.

14-Dec-22
For me, the money thing doesnt even come into play. I'm just a minimalist, and I had no idea how much they cost when I answered earlier... but $10 per nock is hilarious!

14-Dec-22
I have been using them for at least 10 years. Never had one accidentally turn on. The only "hassle" is turning it off after the shot. BFD, I see that I made a good hit on my deer, we all wait before we go get it anyhow. That 5 seconds it takes to turn off the knock is not a problem guys. I don't know what you guys are using that you have to constantly fiddle with them.

14-Dec-22
I've never shot nor bought lighted nocks, but would like to see the carbon arrows better in flight. Might try them sometime.

14-Dec-22
Ambush,

You don’t have a problem until you have a problem.

14-Dec-22
They do not look right on my cedar arrows with banana fletch. 56 years of deer hunting with stickbows, probably will not change at this point.

14-Dec-22
I tried a couple of the big names in the lighted nock game and had poor results with both. Nocks that broke easily and funny arrow flight.

14-Dec-22
I used them for a while years ago. They were more visible on my GoPro. I had one that broke when I released and blew up the bow. That was the end of that.

14-Dec-22
That settles it. Boreal for the win.

15-Dec-22
Never used them for reasons stated above. Desire for simplicity. I want as few toys as possible to keep gear light and maintenance free.

15-Dec-22
That settles it? So a non lighted nock has never failed?

15-Dec-22
Used to think I was a decent shot, but I must be just lucky after reading all this.

I shoot LumiNocks, FMJ arrows and VPA solids and it doesn’t matter if I’m using lighted or standard nocks out to 60 yards.

If them come on at the shot, great, if they don’t, so be it. Turning them off is pretty simple. Never had one come on in the quiver, maybe when I nock it on the string. And shutting it off is still simple.

Sorry I’m not in the “don’t shoot’em” category.

15-Dec-22
Funny dumb story, I had them on some arrows. I hunt with a recurve. I shot at a buck and flinched the release bad because in my peripheral vision, I saw a flash of light when I released and subconsciously reacted by flinching!!! So, I use regular nocks now, LOL.

15-Dec-22
I resisted trying them for years but started using Nockturnals about 6 years ago. I test every one and they impact the same as my regular nocks out to at least 60 yards. When the batteries go dead I use them on practice arrows. I really like being able to see my arrow flight. I don't have to fiddle with them either and it only takes a few seconds to turn them off with the tip of a jackknife. If they're fitting loosely in the shaft, put a Walmart bag over the end of the shaft and push the nock in through the bag. It will force a little plastic into the shaft and create a bushing that tightens the fit.

I haven't lost an arrow since I started using them so in regard to cost, I'm pretty sure mine have paid for themselves with arrows and broadheads that I've found which otherwise would have been lost.

For the guys worried about the animal seeing the lighted nock coming at them, since the light is at rear of the arrow I have a hard time believing that the animal would see the small light. Similar to how you can't see the taillights on a car that's coming at you. Unless of course you guys shoot arrows that fly sideways in which case you have bigger problems. Somebody should setup a video camera on a target and shoot a lighted nock at it to see if you can see the light approaching.

15-Dec-22
I love them. How many of you shot a deer but weren’t sure where the hit was and you have to figure out when to track? After passing through a deer in low light it takes me 2 seconds to find the arrow. Never noticed a flight difference either.

16-Dec-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Well, my Nocturnal proved it's value once again today. I made a 30 yard heart shot on a buck and the arrow passed through and buried in the tall grass. Thanks to the glowing nock, that arrow and broadhead will live to kill again. The buck was quartering toward me and I wonder if he thought the green light coming toward him looked as cool as it did from my perspective ;-)

17-Dec-22
The arrow flies at an arc, so it is possible that the deer can see a bit of the light coming at him. The deer will take a second to try and figure out what is going on. Just enough time for the arrow to arrive. Think about what deer do when they see your headlights.

17-Dec-22
Do you guys that desire simplicity shoot a compound, with a trigger release, drop away rest, and mechanical broadheads?

17-Dec-22
I don’t shoot lighted nocks because it increases my arrow weight and decreases FOC. My regular x nock weighs 7 grains. A Nockturnal weighs 25 grains.

17-Dec-22
Love them for bear hunting. Shots are 15 or less. If someone is filming. Awesome.

17-Dec-22
I've had issues with fit on my arrows, they fall out seems like no matter what I've done. The method of turning them off has been a problem for me too. End up breaking them. I'm sure its user error but it's just been more hassle then it's worth for me. If they worked a little better and cost a little less I'd be all in. I love the idea of them and fun to watch the arrow flight.

17-Dec-22
Funny thing. There’s a real nice couple at the club, and lighted nocks are all they ever shoot. They don’t hunt , though….

Sometimes I find their arrows in the lost & found bucket.

I think it’d be fun to shoot them on our 80-yard NFAA butts at night, just to watch them fly. And they might help a guy sort out a tuning problem (slow-mo camera over the shooter’s shoulder can show you a lot at 180 fps, but probably less at 280….).

I guess the hot water method of nock fit adjustment doesn’t work so well with these?

Anyway… I guess I’m in the camp that thinks that $10 is about what I’m willing to pay for a finished ARROW (on the rare occasion that I will spend for fletching services), so yeah, that’s an expensive nock. Hell, $10 is an expensive BROADHEAD compared to what I’ve been shooting lately!

But in fairness, I suppose if I were shooting a $50+ BH on a $20+ shaft, I suppose it would feel more like cheap insurance. Some of you guys shoot arrows that cost more than a perfectly adequate new bow, so let’s just call it a different frame of reference…. Just because you spend several hundred dollars on a dozen arrows doesn’t mean my annual outlay is any less than yours; it just means that I’m having a lot more fun than I would be having if I never lost or broke an arrow.

17-Dec-22
“I don’t shoot lighted nocks because it increases my arrow weight and decreases FOC. My regular x nock weighs 7 grains. A Nockturnal weighs 25 grains.“

So what does goat do to your field accuracy. Is it even noticeable. Not in theory but in results. How much slower. How my lower at 25 50 yds

17-Dec-22
40 yards and under the drop is not that noticeable. Past that you’ll get some more drop; increasing significantly past 80 yards (in my experience). My arrow weighs 521 grains and is coming out at 290fps with my standard Easton x nock. Right now, my FOC is about 11%, and I really don’t want to go lower than that.

I have been thinking of trying out a .166 arrow. If I do that, I will put a Nockturnal on it because I will have 250 grains up front. The estimated arrow weight will be 543grains and FOC will be around 20%. I am interested to see how these would tune and fly at distance. Probably something I will tinker with later this winter or in the spring.

18-Dec-22
Cost me an elk. My fault. Used the same lighted nock on both recurve bow string and compound string. Did not figure the recurve bow string was a slightly larger diameter or it would make much difference, and so when I drew back on this bull elk at 18 yards and released the recurve bow string, the arrow kicked off to the left of the string and dove to foot of the elk.

As Ambush has suggested and I did back at camp, I filed down the inside of the nock to increase the diameter. After that, arrow flew like darts. Do I still use them. NO on both compound bow and recurve bow.

18-Dec-22
Peco2, No

18-Dec-22
Hated earlier versions, love them now . Use nocturnals, enjoy knowing where I hit and easier to find arrow. Just fun to watch them fly. Also, when target shooting and I don’t execute well it shows in arrow flight most of time. Helped couple times to find a deer that was hit high in lungs and no blood trail

21-Dec-22
Read the thread, and the video posted in it, on deer ducking the string. Towards the end they talk about lighted vs. regular knocks and how the deer react the same to both.

• Sitka Gear