DanaC 19-Dec-22
krieger 22-Dec-22
caribou77 26-Dec-22
jmiller 07-Jan-23
thedude 07-Jan-23
Fetrokes 21-Mar-24
ridgerunnerron 24-Mar-24
16-Dec-22
I know this isn't a very exciting topic, but I always appreciate the wealth of gear knowledge and opinions here, so here goes.

I finally wore out my 20 year old Sorel Caribou boots. They worked just OK for the type cold weather hunting I do, but they were never ideal. I never felt they were as warm as they should be for as bulky and heavy as they are. They also didn't provide enough support for any serious hiking. Basically, they were just good enough to prevent me from buying something new.

Now that I'm in the market, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Ideally, what I'm looking for is a hybrid between an insulated hiker and a bunny boot. Something that will keep my feet warm in single digit temps in stand, while still having decent support and a slimmer profile for hiking. I wear a size 13 EE, so models with a wide width option would be preferable.

I just returned home empty-handed from Cabelas. As usual, nobody ever stocks sizes over 12, so I wasn't able to try on any possible candidates. I did see a boot that interests me called the Baffin Control Max. They are made in Canada and seem to get good reviews. They have a removable inner liner that's made of closed cell foam that is suppose to mold to your feet, similar to high-end ski boots. But they are more on the bunny boot rather than hiker side of the spectrum. Does anyone have experience with them? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

16-Dec-22
Gray ghost hard to find a good do all. I would go with a good insulated hiker and pack a set of boot blankets .

16-Dec-22
GG watched an episode of Eberhart where he discussed boots and his two go to’s in Michigan are the Baffins for cold weather and he said hands down best boot out there was Gumleaf USA. The problem is most boots are now made over seas and last a year or two. If your looking for cold then Baffin mid season then Gumleaf USA. Honestly I have a pair of Sorels here and wow are they warm. Sitting in a stand I’m not really sure if any boot is great in that cold of weather.

16-Dec-22
I finally settled on a hybrid boot made by Kamik. Warm enough unless its brutal cold, light enough to hike, removable liner (critical, for me). If it's super cold and I'm just sitting I still have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots. But for all around cold weather hunting, I'm really happy with the Kamiks.

16-Dec-22
Lou, which model Kamik do you use? You and I do similar winter hunting, so I was hoping you'd respond.

Matt

16-Dec-22
I’m working on a “Cold Weather Footwear Solutions” thread/review. It may not come until early January. I’ve tried about everything as cold feet are my weak spot in my system. I’ve come up with a couple decent solutions. One thing I don’t like is anything rubber. When the rubber freezes out, my feet become ice chunks. Stay tuned…

16-Dec-22
check out hoffman pac boots out of kellogg, idaho.

the arch support they use is stiffer than the popular schnees pac boot and provides better support for hiking. i have the hoffman outback model.

as you know, your size is hard to find and i am not certain they offer it.

16-Dec-22
Lenz Bluetooth heated socks are the warmest boots I’ve ever worn

16-Dec-22
Matt, I don't know if they're Nationwide or Nation Plus. I do know they come in size 13. I can take a look and see if the model is on the boot somewhere. I got them specifically for plains hunting because my older Sorels were a little too stiff for how much I hike out there. The suede leather uppers are more flexible than some others I tried. I also use them for guiding my wife on rifle hunts when it's cold. I have been really happy with them, and have used them for a number of years.

16-Dec-22
A model would be great, Lou, if you can find one.

I feel this hybrid boot we are discussing is a niche that hasn’t been filled, yet. The typical 800-1000 insulated hikers aren’t warm enough to sit in temps like we’ve had recently. When you step up to 2000 they are bulky, heavy, and lack support for hiking.

Matt

16-Dec-22
I bought some Baffin Snow Monster boots about a month ago because I was just flat tired of my feet getting cold on long sits in the treestand. They had amazing reviews, but either most of the reviewers are using them in an active situation (not sitting still in a treestand for hours on end in sub-freezing temps), or my feet get cold a lot easier than the average. I like these boots, they seem quality made, aren't overly heavy for the size, and hike amazingly well walking to/from my stands, but the be-all and end-all to cold feet, they are not. With temps in the 20's, my toes are starting to get chilled within a couple hours on stand. And that's wearing Darn Tough merino socks to stand. I finally decided to try some of the battery heated socks, and I think those + the Baffin boots will probably be my best solution for all but the most brutal cold temps sitting for hours on stand.

16-Dec-22
Thanks jason. If I keep my core warm, my feet are good to low 20s in my regular hikers. Below that I need more. I’m still leaning towards the Baffins based on your positive hiking review, and others.

Matt

16-Dec-22
I wore a pair of down booties worked pretty well wore my hikers in then switched

16-Dec-22
Schnee Extreme boots. On stand I put in the chemical whole foot warmers under my socks. They will be warm for 4 hours and take me to around -10 . After that its the HBS, then I dont need the foot warmers. Coupled with heavy Alpaca socks, it is the only way I have ever been able to keep my feet warm. They are good walking boots also, albeit it a tad heavy.

16-Dec-22
Guys I've been fighting the warm boot for cold weather for awhile. I can't wear the high boots like baffins unfortunately so I go with something simple and suggest you try it. I was out in 28 degree weather today for about 6 hours, I bring a slab of cardboard with me to set my feet on. Snow on the ground and I wore my non insulated merrily hikers with wool socks. When I get to my stand I slip a body warmer on top of my toe ,outside of boot and rubberband it so it stays on top. Then I slip on some artic shield boot covers, my feet stay warm, almost to warm. I've done this in the teens and feet stay nice and want. After the hunt slip the covers off and walk back to the truck. Give it a try, it lightweight warmth.

17-Dec-22
I have a pair of kenetrek grizzly pac boots that I like that are only 400 gram insulation. My feet sweat easily so I don't like a ton of insulation in any boots I plan on doing a decent amount of hiking in. I believe the make the same pac boot with a 1000 grams as well not sure on size. Always heard good things about the schnees too.

17-Dec-22
kota-man, I'm looking forward to your review. I'm presently leaning toward purchasing a pair of Schnees Extreme boots but will wait until after your post.

18-Dec-22
Overland…I have owned both the Kenetrek Extremes and the Hoffman Pacs. While both are excellent, high quality boots that serve a purpose, they are not a stationary sub zero boot for me at all.

18-Dec-22
Camo Muck boots with polyethylene socks covered with wool socks..

Hunted with them at -23 last year

18-Dec-22
Steger Mukluks for extreme cold. They can't be beat

19-Dec-22
Jeff, those Mukluks get great reviews from people in the far north that spend a lot of time outside. And are very reasonably priced

19-Dec-22

DanaC's Link
Any experience with mukluks from Wiggy's ?

19-Dec-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Dana, I have these Neos over boots and they are similar. I wear my leather boots inside and these insulated over boots are very warm. They also have ice studs for traction. The top has a snow gaitor that rolls up to just below the knee They are surprisingly warm

19-Dec-22
I've had great luck with Baffin boots. I currently have a pair of Baffin packs with half inch felt liner. Kinda heavy but for long sits in the cold they keep my feet warm.

19-Dec-22
Just picked up a pair of Baffin Apex boots which I am excited about using next year.

19-Dec-22
I tried some of wiggys over boots, great if your not on the move but trying to walk in them, no way. Returned them. Plus the owner isn't what I call customer friendly.

19-Dec-22
Take a look at norfin boots super light and comforatable. My buddies family all has them and thier the only thing that keeps thier feet warm in the polar north

19-Dec-22
APauls, the Apex is on my short list, as well. How’s the sizing on them? Do you happen to have wide feet, like me?

Matt

19-Dec-22

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Standing on cold steel is hard on any boots, but otherwise they are unbelievably warm and lightweight

19-Dec-22

Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
Another vote for the Baffin wolf. :))

19-Dec-22

DanaC's Link
RE Grey Ghost - Baffins - "How’s the sizing on them? Do you happen to have wide feet, like me? "

Baffin website has a sizing advisor which includes questions about foot size and shape -

22-Dec-22
Great thread, quite a few mentions that I haven't herd of before.

26-Dec-22
This is a good thread! I’ve been very happy with my Cabela’s trans Alaskans

07-Jan-23

jmiller's embedded Photo
jmiller's embedded Photo
Went to pull a stand today, here is a picture of the mukluks in action

07-Jan-23
Muklucks with a -50 or -100 degree liner

21-Mar-24
For winter hunting, I like to use the Kalkal knee high rubber hunting boots. Comfortable, good arch support, warm. Primarily used to wade in the winter surf. I have a more expensive pair of boots. they cost twice as much as these. They are a little more comfortable than this pair. They may be just a bit warmer than these, but these are just as good for protecting from the snow we have had this past couple weeks.

24-Mar-24
I went with Baffin Apex boots. Just bought a pair on Amazon for under $200. I'm impressed w/ the quality. And comfy feel inside. Yes they are big, but I get really bad cold feet too quickly, so I'll deal w/ the bulk. Excited about using them next season!

• Sitka Gear