fran 30-Dec-22
Cheesehead Mike 30-Dec-22
bghunter 30-Dec-22
bghunter 30-Dec-22
Bowhunter09 30-Dec-22
18-Dec-22
So after not bowhunting locally for about the last 14 years for deer, due to work. Now that I am retired I should have time and maybe a new Location to bowhunt.

I would like to use a lightweight climbing stand and wanted to get a lone wolf, but I see they are hard to find.

Anyone have any suggestions. I used to have an API that I liked, but it was pretty loud and not very quiet to set up. So looking for suggestions.

I have used climbing sticks way back when too, and wasn't a fan, but I am sure technology has changed a bit, so i wouldn't be against that either.

18-Dec-22
XOP still available, I believe. Similar to Lone Wolf.

18-Dec-22
I will look them up. Thanks

18-Dec-22
I read that XOP is suppose to be coming out with a new climber after first of the year

18-Dec-22
XOP has a new climber, Lone Wolf is coming out with one.

18-Dec-22
Heard a lot of problems with the cop welds and them breaking. Not sure of how valid those claims are. Good luck with getting a long wolf. I have the small hand climber, 15lbs. I’ll never get rid of it

18-Dec-22
Tree Walker climbing stand.

18-Dec-22
I wish i would have bought a lone wolf years ago.

18-Dec-22
Xop has the Ambush climber but they're suppose to be coming out with another..so I read

18-Dec-22
That xop looks nice. I will have to keep an eye out for the new ones.

18-Dec-22
Been using summit for years with no problems climb easy. Quiet. Use the viper the most. Just sold a lone wolf open shot. Getting to old. Young man's stand. :?-?)

19-Dec-22
Another vote for the Summit Viper here

19-Dec-22
How flat does the Summit fold ? My old api didn't fold to flat and seemed liked it would snag on everything the way it stuck out.

20-Dec-22
I used a lone wolf hand climber for years until I moved to Iowa. Not enough straight trees to use a climber so I made the switch to stick and stand. Will never go back simply due to the fact that I can always find a tree to get into in the right spot.

20-Dec-22
Summit climber is there best imo. I've used the bushmaster for about 15 yr or so love it

20-Dec-22
I’ve got a lone Wolf with both the hand climber and the sit and climb. It’s probably at least 25 years old. I haven’t used it in several years, but recently acquired some property with almost all straight trees. I might break it out this fall. Don’t know how this 70 year old body will react to that

20-Dec-22
I love my equalizer its great to be able to level it out if you guess wrong on the angle of the tree.

20-Dec-22
Cougar Claw makes a good climber..made in Alabama

20-Dec-22
Mancini swivel seat climber.

20-Dec-22
BG hunter the bars are ridged thay don't fold and top fites inside the bottom. But it does make it easy to climb.

20-Dec-22
Big dog,

Sounds similar to my old Api. I will say the Summitt looks more comfortable then the lone wolf.

Me being short makes me wonder how hard it would be to move through the woods with.

20-Dec-22
Easy as the cables go in all the way I'm 5'6" no problems.

20-Dec-22
Thanks as we are about the same height so shouldn't be an issue for me then

20-Dec-22
If you are set on a climber, go summit viper. Best they make.

But, I’m only saying that because I haven’t been in a climbing stand in 3 years if I’m remembering right. I went the way Scrappy did. Except I use a saddle.

20-Dec-22
Years back I used sticks and stands and just thought they were to loud, cumbersome and not easy to pack. Now mind you this was mid 90's so things have changed a lot. So I might have to explore that option.

20-Dec-22
Summit viper is great

26-Dec-22
Portaclimb treestands made here in NC are awesome. You can either face the tree or away. I like facing the tree and just leaning over to make my shot. Very safe, easy to carry and super comfortable.

26-Dec-22
I'm quite sure you should be able to locate a used Lone Wolf Assault on Marketplace in your area. They only weight 14.7# and all I've used for the last 15 years. I sold all my hang ons when I found myself never using them any more. Also sold most my climbing stix. When I read LW stopped selling climbers last summer due to the lawsuit I guess, I went online and bought about 5 Assaults. I work a 5 state Midwest area for work so was able to pick them up during my travels. Average price was about $240. All were in perfect condition like never used. I backpacked these in as far as 3 miles elk hunting wallows. The regular LW Combo weighs 17.5# but I hate toting that extra 3# unless I'm using my boat and only hiking in 50-100 yards from lake to setup. Not worth the extra foot space.

I deer hunt only Illinois & Iowa and have no problem finding good straight trees in my areas. I may incorporate a saddle at some point for trees with limbs, but I've been saying that for 15 years and just not needed it bad enough.

27-Dec-22
I do like my lone wolf but started using saddle this year and I doubt I will be using the climber anymore .I do use millenium light weight stands mostly now for hang ons .I might put it up on classified wall soon

27-Dec-22
I noticed there are several Summit viper, which specifically do you guys recommend?

I am not a tall guy and have small feet, so I am thinking the Viper mini SD would work. However I am not a fan of heights and like to have room on a platform. However there only looks like there is 4 inches difference in platforms. Not sure if that would make much difference.

27-Dec-22
I’ve got a summit viper, equalizer and API bow hunter. The Equalizer is my go to climber as Fran mentioned. The Viper is a very comfortable stand but it’s like carrying a recliner on your back as you walk thru woods.

27-Dec-22
The SD viper should pack down. But, the standard viper is like carrying a chair. The weight isn’t horrible it’s the bulk.

27-Dec-22
Wv,

That was my concern was the bulk, not the weight. Thanks.

27-Dec-22
There been tons of threads on this. From personal experience and remarks posted it boils down to this. Comfort go w Summit. They used to produce a folding stand two times over the yrs. ( I have a 1st gen best stand IMHO). Compact, quiet, stable, comfortable. If you can’t find a folder you’ll have to settle w a Viper model. If weight is a concern but you don’t mind sitting on a postage stamp all day. LW

27-Dec-22
LW Assault folds down to a postage stamp. I guess I’m not very picky as far as comfort goes? 6’ 2”, 240# but no problem for me.

27-Dec-22
I use a Viper most of the time. When I pack it I slide the cables all the way into the frame, push the seat toward the front and it packs together really well. Get a small strap and cinch it around both pieces pulling them tight and you will have quiet comfort. Hunting and packing.

27-Dec-22
I don't see my sits being real long. However now that I am retired I will have more time

27-Dec-22
There been tons of threads on this. From personal experience and remarks posted it boils down to this. Comfort go w Summit. They used to produce a folding stand two times over the yrs. ( I have a 1st gen best stand IMHO). Compact, quiet, stable, comfortable. If you can’t find a folder you’ll have to settle w a Viper model. If weight is a concern but you don’t mind sitting on a postage stamp all day. LW

28-Dec-22
My summit viper is most certainly not quiet. It has some creeeeeek to it occasionally.

My LW sit-n-climb and treewalker are much quieter. The LW does not climb as well - just not enough rigidity in the belts and it is much more difficult to manage around knotty trees. Treewalker is the best w/out a doubt when on the tree. The Summitt is a blend for carrying of the LW and the TWalker. The TWalker is cumbersome to carry.

No perfect stands for sure.

29-Dec-22
Candor,

You are definatley correct in that there definitely seems like no one perfect stand.

29-Dec-22
bg - as to your question above - I believe 4" would make a very large amount of difference in the comfort and functionality of the platform at the dimensions you are talking about. If you were going from 36 to 40" it would not be so big a deal. But on the smaller platforms 4" is meaningful. I am sure there are a host of jokes that come to mind when reading this, but relative to a tree stand the ability to get 4" further from the tree when at 30" is meaningful.

I spend a lot of time in a climbing stand and would pay a lot of money for a fold flat stand that bit the tree well and had a good belt or whatever system that went around the tree with a lot of rigidity. There are a lot of bows that are good enough for what we do on whitetails, and stands have improved a lot over my hunting career but I would pay $1000 for the sitka of climbing stands.

29-Dec-22
Another vote for Summit Bushmaster. Best stand out there in my opinion. Problem is they don’t make it anymore. It is similar to the Open Shot but seat is different- it has a “sling” seat instead of a rigid(padded) flip up seat. Very light and much more compact than the Viper.

29-Dec-22
Candor,

It is pretty funny to read your explanation if people don't know your talking about a treestand lmao.

29-Dec-22
I looked at some of the open fronts and I am not comfortable with heights and feel more secure with a sit and climb because of the bar.

I know because of this, I will be having to deal with more bulk. Be curious how a summit platform with lone wolf sit and climb, climber section would work together

30-Dec-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
L to R: Summit Bushmaster, Lone Wolf w/hand climber top, old Lone Wolf Sit & Climb
L to R: Summit Bushmaster, Lone Wolf w/hand climber top, old Lone Wolf Sit & Climb
Side view of the 3 stands packed up.
Side view of the 3 stands packed up.
Climbing stands have been discussed many times on Bowsite. I'm always amazed that anybody would prefer a Summit over a Lone Wolf.

I own a Summit Bushmaster and 2 Lone Wolf sit and climbs and a hand climber top.

I've had my old Sit and Climb for about 20 years and have replaced the seat with a Hazmore mesh seat and I added MOLLE waist belt and shoulder straps. This stand is by far my favorite stand of all the stands I own for comfort, ease and quietness of climbing and for packing with the shoulder and waist straps. I've probably done hundreds of all day sits in this stand over the years.

Here are some comparisons between Summit and Lone Wolf.

30-Dec-22

The opening on the Summit is big enough for my Size 11 Muck Boot and in my opinion is hazardous.
The opening on the Summit is big enough for my Size 11 Muck Boot and in my opinion is hazardous.
Proper foot positioning when climbing.
Proper foot positioning when climbing.
Here's a comparison of the platforms. The Summit platform is larger but the usable area of the Summit is actually less than the Lone Wolf. The design of the Summit pushes you out farther from the tree and because of the big opening, does not allow you to stand with your feet close to the tree.

I've read comments that the Lone Wolf is hard to climb with. I believe those comments come from guys who are trying to climb with their toes under the cross bar. The correct way is to angle your feet under the side braces.

30-Dec-22

Since the Summit is a hand climber rather than a sit and climb, a comparison to the Lone Wolf with the hand climber top is an "apples to apples" comparison. The Lone Wolf blows the Bushmaster away when it comes to bulk and compactness.

30-Dec-22

The shoulder straps and waist belt on my old Sit and Climb basically turn it into a pack frame and with an ATV cargo net I can easily haul my daypack, clothes and gear.

30-Dec-22
Mike, I rivet a piece of diamond plate on all my summits near the tree I don't like the wide space it makes me feel like I can step through. I guess they are too cheap to put another piece to complete it.

30-Dec-22
I have a bigger seat that folds out into a backrest on the Summit and it's probably more comfortable than the Lone Wolf seats but the Hazmore mesh seat is very comfortable and I sometimes add a seat pad for all day sits. The mesh seat is very convenient and compact for packing the stand and it also pushes completely out of the way when you stand very close to the tree.

In my opinion The Lone Wolf tree belts and locking mechanisms are much easier to use and quieter than the Summit cables and the Lone Wolf belts are much more micro-adjustable. I also feel that the Lone Wolf belts are the proper rigidity and they're much easier than the Summit to adjust while climbing and/or disconnect and reconnect when climbing past branches.

Lone Wolf also has the two stabilizer straps that lock the two sections together so they're rock solid and neither the upper or lower section will move. I think this is a very important feature both for keeping the sections connected together while climbing and to lock the sections in place once at your hunting height. You can add the straps to the Summits but mine didn't come with them.

The Summit is much noisier in all aspects of packing, hauling, attaching cables, climbing, etc. I know it's all personal preference but considering the extra bulk, extra noise, platform design, less stability, etc of the Summit, I really dislike it and I can't imagine the words "Bushmaster" and "best stand out there" ever being used in the same sentence. I haven't used mine in a couple years and would probably sell it if anybody wants to make an offer, although shipping would probably be expensive due to the bulkiness.

Fwiw, you could turn the Bushmaster into a sit & climb by adding a sit bar like the Lone Wolf has. I bought a piece of aluminum bar stock that I was going to bend and attach it to the Bushmaster but then decided why bother since I never use it anyway...

30-Dec-22

bghunter, here's the Summit platform with a Lone Wolf Sit & Climb top. It nestles together fine and looks like it would work but I have no idea why anybody would choose to use the Summit platform over the Lone Wolf platform...

30-Dec-22
Mike,

Thanks for those pictures that made a big difference, being able to see the stands like that.

I too like to stand close to the tree, which, as you mentioned is dangerous. However could be fixed.

After seeing the lone wolf packed together that is exactly what I am looking for. I have also heard of adding the hazmore seat to the LW which I think I would do. Now the fun part hunting down a LW that someone doesn't want a fortune for.

30-Dec-22

Aider made out of tubular webbing with a piece of rubber hose inside.
Aider made out of tubular webbing with a piece of rubber hose inside.
2-step aider made out of rope w/PVC for rungs covered w/camo tape.
2-step aider made out of rope w/PVC for rungs covered w/camo tape.
You're welcome bghunter, happy to help. As others have mentioned, XOP stands are very similar to Lone Wolf.

Another little modification that I have on my sit and climb is an aider to help when stepping up onto the platform when the base of the tree is too big to attach the stand down low. It's a length of tubular webbing with a piece of rubber hose inside to form the stirrup. I keep it attached permanently and just stuff it into the waist belt when not needed. You can also make an aider out of rope and some PVC. I have a couple 2-step aiders that I use on my climbing sticks to get extra height out of the bottom stick. You could also make a 1-step aider out of rope and PVC or just a chunk of rope tied to form a "U" that you step into and you could slide a piece of rubber hose over the rope to form a stirrup.

30-Dec-22
Mike,

Thats a great idea, especially for short people like myself.

30-Dec-22
Mike. I really like those aiders. Will add one since I am vertically challenged

• Sitka Gear