WV Mountaineer 22-Dec-22
Cheesehead Mike 22-Dec-22
BC 22-Dec-22
Boreal 22-Dec-22
Juancho 23-Dec-22
21-Dec-22
Any one use a bow sling to carry a bow. Pros and cons. Thanks

21-Dec-22
Pros. A lot. About everything you can thank of. But, the protection it offers your peep site, kisser and string in general is the leading reason I use them when appropriate.

Cons. You’ll get lazy and get caught with it over your shoulder from time to time. So, listen to your gut and don’t blind call while elk hunting. Failure to follow these instructions will lead to aggravation.

21-Dec-22
All the time. I can't fathom why people choose to lug their bow in their hand all day every day when hiking. I made my own that slings it over my shoulder much like a rifle. Out of the way, easy to carry, easy to glass with binos. Any time I think something may happen I unsling it, but 95% of the time it's on my shoulder while I'm glassing and trying to locate game.

21-Dec-22
Of course who wouldn’t Protection in tough country hiking is worth the price of admission alone

21-Dec-22
I've always favored using a sling on long days in the elk mountains. Cam designs these days don't work with the sling I used to use. This year I went to the Montana sling. (Google or YouTube it). Puts the weight of your bow on your pack but pretty easy to unlimber it when needed. Of course if I thought I was close to elk I'd have my bow in my hand.

21-Dec-22

WhattheFOC's embedded Photo
WhattheFOC's embedded Photo
I carry mine across my shoulders because I want to look cool. and apparently I’m not the only one…

21-Dec-22
You ain’t cool unless you’ve got the flowery pants.

21-Dec-22
Would it need to be in gun season then. :)

21-Dec-22
I’m not a big fan. Certainly not never, but in general I prefer my bow in my hand. Just never felt it was that big of a deal. On a long hike in on a sheep hunt I’ll have more of a “string cover” with bow on my pack. As I feel there is basically no chance for a shot, but otherwise it’s in my hand or tucked under my arm basically ready to use.

I was on Kodiak with an unnamed bowsiter a couple years ago. We hop off the boat, getting kinda organized etc. he has a sling on his bow, I said something to the effect of “you might regret having that thing not ready” and he brushes me off, he will be ready when it’s time ;). We walk about 10 steps and a nice little buck jumps up and looks at us for 20 seconds at 30 yards. The hunting went downhill after that first day and he never got a buck with the bow.

I understand a little extra protection, and easier carrying, but I guess I’ve just never really needed it all that much.

—jim

21-Dec-22
Never, had too many close calls elk hunting in areas I didn’t expect elk walking in and out. Put it over my shoulder to mix it up on long walks on trails now. The new bow spider carrying system is interesting. You can rig it to the hip belt of your pack for quicker access.

21-Dec-22
I love my bow sling. Can’t think of any cons. The one I use is a Neoprene one from cabelas. It does a good job of keeping my cams and strong protected.

21-Dec-22
More crap to deal with. Like mine in me hand ready to go IMO

21-Dec-22
I cut all the straps off mine, so it serves as a string protector only.

21-Dec-22
Love mine for treks to and from the stand in the dark. I don't need to be ready during those times unless attacked by a chupacabra.

21-Dec-22
I like to hang mine off the front of my backpack strap so it hangs under my arm. I can take it off with very little movement and maneuver it through bush and have both hands free for Bino or bush bashing. Works slick for me.

21-Dec-22
Walleye, I would love to see a picture of it. I can’t wrap my head around your description.

21-Dec-22
The bow hitch works really nice with easy access to your bow just like if you were holding it. Im a little older and it its a huge relief on my shoulder as well. Should give it a look. My .02

22-Dec-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
It also has a clip so you can hang your bow by the string.
It also has a clip so you can hang your bow by the string.
This is the one I use. Very simple and I can shoot with it on. I've had it since my first elk hunt in '98. I killed a bull on that hunt, it happened fast and I just unclipped the top clip and let the sling hang from the bottom clip. But it's not necessary to unclip it as long as it's hanging on the outside of the sight bracket.

22-Dec-22
Name of the sling Mike.

22-Dec-22
I've had it so long I don't even remember. Hunter's Specialty maybe?

22-Dec-22
Going to a whitetail stand, no. Hunting out west where there's a ton of walking and stalking, yes.

22-Dec-22

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Riding in and out of elk camp I need it. Riding in a truck in bear camp the bow is considered cased if it's in a sling. In my hard bowcase when I'm flying the strings and cables are always covered.

23-Dec-22
I carry mine under my shoulder , or over my shoulder, but then again, I shoot a recurve.

• Sitka Gear