cnelk 11-May-23
Shuteye 11-May-23
RitaKoch 15-May-23
jmiller 15-May-23
texturtlecast1974 16-May-23
spike78 16-May-23
fuzzy 30-Jul-23
21-Dec-22
The recent thread mentioned a lot of small game hitting the tables, but many failed to mention all the middle steps!

I’ll start with a skirrel recipe. Brown the quarters and back in a skillet, and throw in a crockpot on high for 3-4 hours covered in cream of mushroom soup with an onion or two thrown in. Keep it simple! If cooking for one person you can substitute chicken broth and water for the cream of mushroom soup and just eat it as a “meat dish” instead of a soup.

Duck - I cut it into 1/2” cubes, melt butter in a pan and cook it for 4 minutes on medium-high and it’s done! If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll nearly split a duck breast in half “hamburger style” making a pocket in the breast, then stuffing it with cream cheese and diced jalapeños, wrapping in bacon and baking in the oven at 350-375 for 20-25 minutes (until bacon is done)

Am especially curious on everybody’s coon recipes and other “nontypical” table fare that was mentioned in the other thread.

21-Dec-22
Muskrat chili, just bring the meat and substitute for beef. Used to have a very old cookbook of just game and one thing stood out. Guy said to cook the dish and cool it off and refrigerate over night. Reheat the next night and it would be much milder. Wish I still had that book. Best roast coon recipe I ever tried.

22-Dec-22
Done groundhog the same as squirrels & rabbit. Quarter the critter dredge in flour fry in iron skillet with lid when done frying deglase skillet with red wine or beer both are good just depends on how I feel at the time.

After deglasing make a thin rhue add critter back in cover & simmer on low for a few hours. Some good biscuits are a must to soak up this delicious gravy.....

Duck.....stuff with sliced apple, orange, onion and a healthy shot of red wine inside. Make a glaze with orange marmalade thinned out with red wine coat duck with glaze and bake 350 time depends on size of ducks. About 30 minutes for big ducks

Poor man's stroganoff.......in iron skillet with lid saute 2 onions in butter & remove. Then brown bite size venison chunks in same butter then add onions back in. Mix in bowl 1 can cream of mushroom soup and a pint of sour cream and cover deer and onions with this then cover & simmer on low a few hours. Serve over egg noodles.

Venison & dumplings........A couple leg shank's cut in 1/2 or 1/3's to expose bone marrow. In insta pot with 4 cups water salt pepper on hi for 50 minutes. Dumplings,1 cup flour,1 egg, 1/4 cup milk. Mix then flour on counter roll out thin and cut in 1" squares....use plenty flour on counter so dumplings don't stick. Drain contents of insta pot into bowl through colander add broth and meat back into insta pot along with potatoes, onions, celery & dumplings or whatever veggies you prefer. And more water if needed then back on hi for 10 minutes This is delicious and credit goes to shade Mt on this one for the idea

11-May-23
Hi there! Thanks for sharing these recipes. I've never tried cooking squirrel before, but your recipe sounds easy and delicious! I love using the cream of mushroom soup in recipes, so I'll try it. As for coon recipes, I'm afraid I don't have any to share.

11-May-23
Raccoon is the one game animal I've never been able to cook in a way I liked eating it. The best I have tried is slow smoked and pulled for "pork" barbecue

11-May-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

11-May-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

11-May-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

11-May-23
I cook in my crock pot all the time and makes lots of deer stew. Most always use condensed mushroom soup and no water. I like it thick. Squirrels come of falling off the bone, even old squirrels. The Mountain beavers, in the recipe above, must be the size of muskrats. It says use one beaver and my beavers can go 5o pounds and my crock pot ain't big enough.

15-May-23
Hi there! Thanks for sharing these recipes. I've never tried cooking squirrel before, but your recipe sounds easy and delicious! I love using the cream of mushroom soup in recipes, so I'll try it. As for coon recipes, I'm afraid I don't have any to share. I also like reading reviews on different ingredients and recipes at America's Restaurant, so I think you might find it helpful. Good luck!

15-May-23

jmiller's embedded Photo
Ground beaver and pork
jmiller's embedded Photo
Ground beaver and pork
jmiller's embedded Photo
Snack sticks using Hi Mountain seasonings
jmiller's embedded Photo
Snack sticks using Hi Mountain seasonings
I made some beaver snack sticks this weekend, mixed a third in ground pork. Turned out excellent!

16-May-23
Hi there! Thanks for sharing these recipes. I've never tried cooking squirrel before, but your recipe sounds easy and delicious! I love using the cream of mushroom soup in recipes, so I'll try it. As for coon recipes, I'm afraid I don't have any to share. I also like reading reviews on different ingredients and recipes at Americas Restaurant, so I think you might find it helpful. Good luck!

16-May-23
How do you guys rate groundhog? I’ve been wanting to try that.

30-Jul-23
Spike78 groundhog is excellent if you get them cleaned and cooled quickly. Trash the old, and overly fat ones (kinda like dating) and go for the young ones.

• Sitka Gear