x-man 23-Dec-22
Aces11 23-Dec-22
HBOM 24-Dec-22
bb 24-Dec-22
JW 24-Dec-22
GFL 24-Dec-22
22-Dec-22

HBOM's Link
I had a post a few weeks back where I confessed my terrible case of target panic and was seeking guidance on the Scott longhorn hunter hinge release. I purchased the release but still found me rotating my wrist super fast to command the shot (on a trainer). I have since returned it and bought the silverback tension release from Nock on. I had filmed this video in slow motion not sure why on YouTube it’s sped up. But regardless I put it on for everyone’s thoughts. I have tough skin and am already at an all time low in archery based on the target panic so don’t worry about hurt feelings let me have it. I’m starting completely over (been archery hunting for about 20 years). What about my form? Positions etc. I closed my eyes this evening while practicing each shot.

I have watched all of the Dudley videos several times, and will continue to revisit them. I intend on practicing with the trainer for 30 days then blank bale shooting for 30 days before ever trying to put a pin on a target.

Thanks for any insight y’all have.

Merry Christmas!

22-Dec-22
Daniel! Looks good u r well on your way man! Commit and stay with the process!

22-Dec-22
This video is made for you...

22-Dec-22
Thanks for all your help Dean, ?? committed to seeing it through!

22-Dec-22
Thank you for the video Midwest I’ll check it out for sure!

22-Dec-22
Shot IQ, the release is not very important when you follow Joel’s process.

22-Dec-22
Target panic is a bad deal. Keep working on it. If that don’t get it, put the bow down for a while. Wait until April or June to pick it back up. And don’t over shoot when you come back. Is my advice.

23-Dec-22
I gotta disagree with WV. The only way to beat it is to work on it every day. Even if you’re not releasing arrows.

23-Dec-22
I'm with Midwest, you don't get rid of target panic by ignoring it. The same old bad habits will return. You have to re-program your brain, which takes dedication and diligence.

Daniel, it looks like you're on your way. Good luck.

Matt

23-Dec-22
It's like anything else, there isn't one absolute cure/method that works for everybody. WV is right in that for some folks putting the bow down for a while can be very beneficial to some folks to clear out their head, for some folks not so much. For some folks blank bale works great, for some folks not so much.

Bottom.line is its a mental thing and you have to find What works for you.

23-Dec-22
Agree with Charlie. Shot IQ is a great resource. Also agree 100% with midwest that putting off addressing your issue will do absolutely nothing towards ingraining a correct shot sequence, which is critical to keeping TP under control.

23-Dec-22
Something that is rarely discussed in TP conversations is that all problems aren't the same. Some people prematurely release, some people have difficulty getting the sight aid on the target, some people can't put the sight aid in the proper place on the target. And....in some cases folks can execute a shot sequence flawlessly as long as there is no target on the backstop. Add a target, and it all comes back.

23-Dec-22
“First you must break the habit before try to ingrain a new shot sequence so even though I don’t necessarily agree with Midwest I wouldn’t dismiss it based on limited understanding of the overall problem.”

The only way to stop a bad shot sequence is to stop repeating that bad shot sequence. That’s accomplished by repeating a new correct shot sequence over the course of thousands and thousands of shots. I assumed incorrectly that most people understand that you need to stop performing an incorrect shot sequence before you can start performing it correctly. Good grief.

23-Dec-22
Yep another vote for shot IQ. As stated TP never goes away.

23-Dec-22
Rocky D you are right. Which doesn't change the fact that TP manifests in different ways and the cure is different for different people.

23-Dec-22
Thank you all for the replies. I actually was looking into shot iq as well earlier in the week.

For those of you who have went through shot iq were you able to implement the changes both physical and mental on your own? I don’t have a nearby range or shop to help assist as a coach, thankful for you bowsiters who have been helping me in this process. I truly appreciate it.

23-Dec-22
HBOM, PM sent.

23-Dec-22
Thank you all for the replies. I actually was looking into shot iq as well earlier in the week.

For those of you who have went through shot iq were you able to implement the changes both physical and mental on your own? I don’t have a nearby range or shop to help assist as a coach, thankful for you bowsiters who have been helping me in this process. I truly appreciate it.

23-Dec-22
Gary Sentman walked me through getting beyond TP.

23-Dec-22
I know that video was just using a trainer but,... your draw length is at least an inch too long in that video. Train with exactly the same draw length as your bow. If it is already, then please shorten your draw. As a coach, that is the first thing I do, is start from scratch and make sure the bow fits the archer.

Remember, practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

23-Dec-22
HBOM I had terrible target panic. I didn’t know if I would ever shoot again. I took the shot iq course and it was a big help. I did a lot of blank bale shooting as well. I think the silver back is a great release to help get over target panic. Really helped me get used to having my pin float on target and be comfortable pulling through the shot. Time and commitment and you will surely get through it. Good luck!,

24-Dec-22
Thanks xman I will shorten it up. Thanks for the encouragement Aces, I am at that point you were at as well. Hoping the course and the release help.

Merry Christmas all.

24-Dec-22
I had a very bad case of target panic. I tried everything, all the books on it all the gimmicks, the only thing that worked for me...the only thing as I was able to beat everything else. I followed Dudleys process and the Silverback release is what cured it. I found that I had to take the manipulation of a trigger completely out of the equation. I could hold the sight on the target all day as long as my finger wasn't touching the trigger. Once I started to extend my finger to reach the trigger, my bow arm would drop. It would drop at the same rate that my finger was extended. I got good at dealing with it though, but I couldn't get rid of it until I switched to that back tension release with no trigger.

24-Dec-22
Daniel, keep working at it and it’ll get better. Lots of good advice above. I’ve had bouts with TP over the years like many here as well. One thing that a friend of mine suggested to me REALLY helped. I changed to a bow with adjustable letoff. Many bows can accomplish this with different mods, draw stops, etc. Many of todays hunting bows with really high letoff make it difficult to shoot with proper back tension. When I have a higher holding weight it makes executing a surprise release with back tension much easier compared to less weight. 85% letoff and higher for me is no bueno, 70% - 80% is my sweet spot. Maybe worth a shot? Best of luck!

24-Dec-22
I would highly recommend Shot IQ. Everyone’s brain is wired for target panic. You just learn to keep it asleep. I actually still elk and deer hunt with a hinge. Follow Joel’s advice and you’ll learn to keep it asleep.

• Sitka Gear