wildwilderness 23-Dec-22
Firehuntfish 26-Dec-22
Dale06 26-Dec-22
Firehuntfish 26-Dec-22
LKH 27-Dec-22
Zebrakiller 28-Dec-22
Buffalo1 28-Dec-22
23-Dec-22
Has anyone taken a kudu by walk and stalk? It seems like most of the successful bowhunting operations utilize blinds. I think to get a couple species done would be great, but a spot and stalk would seem ideal. I've never considered Africa until recently after taking to a PH by happenstance. Now I'm intrigued by it.

23-Dec-22
I shot a kudu in Zim by spot and stalk. Truth be told, I was stalking another animal when we spotted the kudu bedded in a sand wash. Priorities suddenly changed, and I got within 45 yards before stopping and taking the shot. A very fond memory from a great trip.

Generally, in many concessions spot and stalk is not particularly effective, but I have had some success. Remember from the PH's perspective, they get paid more if you shoot more game (trophy fees), so they much prefer you sit in a blind where you are likely to have quality shots at several animals a day. Since you are almost always accompanied by a PH and a tracker when on foot, stalking with three or more people just gets that much harder.

Bill

23-Dec-22
Last August hunted a big South África highfence farm and during my walk and stalk did at midday a powernap for a few minutes. Woke up by a kudu bark and looked arround. This skinny kudo then walked in and stood not even 30 yards from me calmly looking at me. I slowly picked up the camera and took some pictures and even a 1 minute video of him. Even had time to pick up the bow if I wanted. Choose not to shoot as I already had one similar sized kudu 2 trips back and on that farm they were fairly expensive. He left walking slowly away. I knew I would later regret that LOL. Sometimes I think that some animals simply know when you don t want to harm them. That being said: The soil was dry, the small stones, grawel and the dry grass made stalking to get to bowhunting distance almost imposible. If you want to truely walk and stalk in Africa then I recommend hunting the rainy season (October to February) as there is more cover and the soil and grass are soft.

23-Dec-22

Pocoloco's embedded Photo

23-Dec-22

23-Dec-22
Africa can be very addictive!! In South Africa many animals can be attempted walk and stalk archery successfully.

True free range in other countries as well but distance covered for animals may be counted in miles. It’s worth it just to see the diversity of wildlife in one spot!

23-Dec-22
A highly recommended outfit In Namibia- Pieter Delport at E. Jagd Safaris is a great bow hunter and has many clients walk and stalk gemsbok, Kudu, eland.

That said I have heard the drought in Namibia has taken a toll the last couple years, but would be worth a call to Pieter. I have a couple safari acquaintances who have bow hunted with him multiple times

26-Dec-22
"Has anyone taken a kudu by walk and stalk? It seems like most of the successful bowhunting operations utilize blinds. I think to get a couple species done would be great, but a spot and stalk would seem ideal. I've never considered Africa until recently after taking to a PH by happenstance. Now I'm intrigued by it."

Most hunters, and especially the first-time African hunters, typically go to Africa with a "wish list" of animals and a limited amount of time to try and get them. You are correct that the highest chances of shot opportunity will come from hunting the hides and stands, and that is why most African outfitters will encourage you spend the majority of your hunting time in the hides. That being said, there are a few reputable African outfitters that have extensive experience accommodating bow hunters who wish to spot & stalk. As long as you are willing to put in the time and acknowledge the exponentially increased challenge of spot & stalk, you can have success with not only kudu but several other species that are conducive to be taken successfully spot & stalking.

I have taken a couple of kudu over the years spot & stalking with a bow and I can personally attest to the challenge. I would try and hunt as many days as possible to increase your chances of shot opportunity. I would also recommend planning your hunt in the month of May which is the kudu rut for the Limpopo region. It can be a lot of fun when you catch it! The impalal are also rutting at that time. I shot both of my spot & stalk kudu during the rut. When they are actively chasing and fighting their guard is down considerably.. Feel free to PM me with questions or recommendations. I'd be glad to help.

Here is a short Iphone video my PH Franco took of a kudu stalk this past August. We got 18 yards, but I decided to pass him. He will be a good one! needs a couple more years..

https://vimeo.com/741232478

26-Dec-22
Everyone has their own preferences and desires. My first of three African safaris was to Zimbabwe. I arrowed a kudu at a waterhole. And I arrowed several other critters from blinds at waterholes. I think it would be doable to spot/stalk some of the animals that I took, but I’m guessing my shot opportunity would drop by 80% in the same six day time period. You may be a better stalker. In my case, the choice was see numerous species at water holes and have multiple shot opportunities per day. Or spot/stalk, see far fewer animals and other critters and have a greatly reduced shot opportunity. I chose the former. Good luck.

26-Dec-22

Firehuntfish's Link
Apologies.. here is the active video link.

27-Dec-22
Gary Duckworth of Mokore Safaris took me and my longbow after kudu in the river bottom below camp. Very brushy but sand to walk on and over 3 days I got within 25 yards, (8 one time) of big bulls 3 times without shooting. Best part of the whole deal.

28-Dec-22
if you pic the right Outfitter and PH you can do it as long as up front they know that is what you want,

28-Dec-22
Possible, but not probable. As Zebrakiller stated let outfitter & PH know your desires.

• Sitka Gear