Pocoloco 25-Dec-22
Pyrannah 25-Dec-22
WhattheFOC 25-Dec-22
WhattheFOC 25-Dec-22
Ambush 25-Dec-22
23-Dec-22

Pocoloco's embedded Photo
This cebra stood still at about 42 yards and completely broadside. My set up was Bowtech Guardián at 73 lbs with Gold Tip arrows 300 with 30 inch length and Slicktrick Mágnum 125 grain weight. Camera was rolling. Shot the cebra and it violently turned arround and ran off. Informed the PHs by radio, checked the film on the camera and waited for the PHs to arrive 30 minutes later. Showed the film to the PHs and we started to track right away. Found the arrow a few yards away brocken off at the middle. Blood was 2/3 in which roughly gets me 20 inches of penetration. The tip with the broadhead was still inside the chest. Picture was taken from the filming I did with my camera to show the best shot placement on impact. My only question for this challenge is: How long do you think the cebra ran until it died?

23-Dec-22
72 yards straight circled left 41 yards 113 total yards

23-Dec-22
How long?? Maybe 9-10 seconds.

23-Dec-22
223 yards. Jockey knocked off at yard 200.

23-Dec-22
African game seem to get yardage after being shot. I am guessing about 150 yds. Looks like a good shot.

23-Dec-22
I arrowed one, similar set up to yours, only a Magnus stinger with bleeder. The shot was about 4” further back than yours. It was dead in about 75 yards. So I’ll say 75 yards on yours.

23-Dec-22
80 yards ran out of oxygen.

23-Dec-22
My arrow hit about where yours did. Broke the leg- killed the zebra with gun 7 miles from location of initial bow shot.

Nothing surprises me with the stamina of zebra.

23-Dec-22
Isn’t it meters there? 300 meters.

23-Dec-22
Shot looks good, but about four inches low according to advice from my PH, but should be heart and low lungs. Tough beasts, I'll guess 125 meters.

24-Dec-22
I like RK, so I will go with his reply. :)

24-Dec-22
200 yards total after it ran back around the hide and then went west 125 yards? Died just out of sight. Released the Jack Russell at daybreak and he picked up the blood trail but the hyenas got to him first?

Hopefully you were able to salvage the inner loins as they are fantastic.

24-Dec-22
4” low and back … could be trouble. I’ll guess 2 miles - jockey still on.

24-Dec-22
Call the drone tracker

24-Dec-22
274.32 meters

24-Dec-22
I’m just wondering if a cebra is close kin to a zebra…….coulda fooled me.

24-Dec-22
92 meters in 15 seconds.

24-Dec-22
Dry creek. Cebra is Spanish for Zebra

OP is from Mexico

Hope you have a Merry Christmas ??

25-Dec-22
Don,

What are you gonna do when the illegals make it up to Troup? You will not be able to communicate with them !

May need to watch some YouTube Martha Vineyard training films !!

Merry Christmas

25-Dec-22
Got to be a trick question. My vote it was a flesh wound and he was seen two weeks later chasing mares on trail cameras. The void is lower on this animals than many realize

25-Dec-22
Greg, I know just enough Spanish to get me in trouble, and there are scads of gotaways here right now. The plant farms about ten miles from me couldn’t function without them.

Rob, the rest of the post was in English, why not zebra ? I’m next to illiterate in Spanish, but I talk redneck purty good !

Y’all have a Merry Christmas too !

25-Dec-22
To avoid confusion about writing Zebra or Cebra I will use the name my South African friends used for them: pijama donkeys LOL. Most of the answers here gave me and the PHs the same thought while looking at the video on my camera together with the PHs after they had arrived. 200-300 yards to get to the dead body. Perfect hearth shot it seemed. 3 PHs, 4 trackers and myself followed the sparse bloodtrail. It was dificult as the mare (wanted to shoot a stallion but somehow got mixed up with the animal within the herd) was now running with the herd. After 2 hours we found the last blood drop on a stone about half a mile away. The rest of the day we followed the herd by foot and truck but could not spot the wounded pijama donkey. Next day the PHs and the trackers kept looking for her while I was already hunting other áreas and species. They/we never found her. The Free State air force never helped us either. No tracking dogs or drones. Conclution: Some African plainsgame but especially pijama donkeys are really though to kill. The shot placement was perfectly on the place the heart lies on African game. Sometimes you are 100% sure but still get disapointed. Nothing is given. What might have happened: Maybe the 300 spine was a bit soft and the arrow bent inside the body and missed the vitals? Did the broadhead hit the knuckle at the elbow of the leg and deflected? It didn t hit the leg -that I am sure. What do you think? I am out of answers.

25-Dec-22
Doesn’t make sense.

25-Dec-22
Yes it does. Arrow shot into any animal. Who knows from there.

Thanks for the results pocoloco !! Is what it is. Sorry you lost her. Other animals benefited. Great Stuff !!

25-Dec-22
Clearly a big mechanical broad head would have had a better outcome. Kidding of course. Sorry for your misfortune.

Matt

25-Dec-22
i would think you'd want that arrow four inches higher? i don't know zebra though at all?

and the leg back is think you are behind the heart?

25-Dec-22

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Pyrannah's embedded Photo
i looked up zebra shot placement

i put a red circle where i think i may have hit? any thoughts

25-Dec-22
The proper shot on a zebra has to be in the “Sargeant’s patch.” Your shot was low, just like mine was.

We were able to track my shot zebra because My arrow broke front left leg and his track had a distinct front left leg drag.

25-Dec-22
Of course you would like to have the shot a tad higher for a double lung shot. I prefer that shot over any other-just above the heart. But as said before: It is what it is. And it doesn t make much sense to me too.

25-Dec-22
The imperfect shot sometimes turns out to be the perfect shot and visa versa.

25-Dec-22

RK. You are 100% right. Have had marginal shots that resulted in a dead animal close by. Green dot: This is where I am sure the arrow hit. Comparing it to the picture above.

25-Dec-22
thanks for posting all this

i don't know based on that pic with the leg back i think you are behind your green dot

not sure if you are still there, but if so, good luck man!! hope you get another chance

25-Dec-22

25-Dec-22

WhattheFOC's embedded Photo
WhattheFOC's embedded Photo
We were told to shoot right on the triangle. High heart. The arrow above looks about 4-5” lower and back.

I made the same mistake on a gemsbok one time. Shot looked perfect by NA standards - but the animal was still on its feet the next morning. Lesson learned.

25-Dec-22

Ambush's embedded Photo
Little white patch is the entrance hole.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Little white patch is the entrance hole.
I was told to shot right at the top of the inside of the triangle. My shot ended up very close to yours Poco.

I WAS shooting a big, over the top opening, Spitfire mechanical. Five seconds and one hundred yards.

I had a real tough time forcing myself shot to far enough forward. They all worked out but definitely some luck involved.

• Sitka Gear