Coondog 31-Dec-22
JTreeman 31-Dec-22
Missouribreaks 31-Dec-22
'Ike' 03-Jan-23
Beav 05-Jan-23
26-Dec-22
What would you recommend? Why?

26-Dec-22
I like mechanicals and it's only time I use them. Any of them work, shot ALOT of birds. However put big holes in meat, but I have never lost one.

26-Dec-22
Shoot a big mechanical! I shot 4 last year with Wasp Jak Hammers, 1 .75 “ cut, they performed great!!!

26-Dec-22
Get the turkey close, (10 yards). Put the arrow in the vitals. Most any broadhead will work. I’ve killed them with Muzzy MX4, Slick Tricks, and Magnus Serazors. All were deadly.

26-Dec-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Grant, I have killed nearly 70 toms and over 100 geese with NAP 3 bld, 125 gr, Mechanical BH. Shock Wave.

Why? Tough! Head can be re sharpened, also the blades are easy to replace, small screw, one that might get bent. Uses an O ring to keep the blades forward, No issues. Can be purchase, 3 for less than $25. I have used the same BH a few times on both geese and turkeys, just re sharpen, head and blades. Picture of a recent goose kill.

26-Dec-22
Magnus bullhead, it forces you to "aim small miss small" because your aiming at the head. No more looking for turkeys that ran, flew or flopped off into the brush. Typically a dead bird or a clean miss.

26-Dec-22
If I was turkey hunting I used a Rocket Hammerhead, but I’ve killed plenty in the fall using whatever broadhead I was using for deer. Mostly Muzzys or Strikers.

Edit to say why. The big 2” cut on the Hammerhead usually did not go through the turkey (if you hit it in the right spot) and turkeys almost always do lots of flapping and flopping when hit. The three 2” blades would puree the vitals with all that flopping. That’s the why !

26-Dec-22
Muzzy 3 blades, Sniffers and MA3's are hard to beat.

26-Dec-22
Snuffers. Simple, good cutting area. Any quality 3 or 4 blade is fine. I hunt everything else with 2 blades and have killed turkeys with them but it makes sense to have more cutting area on turkeys with their small vitals and issues with recovery.

27-Dec-22
Vortex 125 gr. 2.75”

27-Dec-22
Magnus stinger 4 blade, base of neck. The head and neck move around to much , vitals are small spot to hit. Base is pretty easy and dead on spot.

27-Dec-22
A big mech, middle of the middle.

27-Dec-22
^This.

27-Dec-22
Magnus Bullhead. I like not having to trail them. I lost a couple shooting fixed blade heads and body shots. Plus there is no meat damage. I do not have feathers or guts pulled into the meat.

27-Dec-22
one mech that I do like is a 3 blade mech, made by Carbon express. It does have a rubber band. to me they are one and done. They have always worked well, Have 2 packs of 3 left. I got them at Wal Mart in the winter, paying about 16.00 for a pack of 3.

They have always opened and that is out of a 55lb bow,,,,,

27-Dec-22

smarba's embedded Photo
Turkey double!
smarba's embedded Photo
Turkey double!
I echo goyt: I switched to Magnus Bullhead 125 many years ago and dang do they work! Absolutely love them. Hit a bird in the neck and they're down right there. No running, no flying, no nothing. Except flopping like a chicken with its head cut off LOL.

I few years ago I got a double! First tom dropped in his tracks, 2 more toms jumped on him and I shot a second (in NM spring season is 2 bearded bird limit)

27-Dec-22
Will a bullhead to the body kill one

27-Dec-22
I've killed most with the old Rocket hammer head, 3 blade, two inches when open.

As for the body shot with a bull head, no.

27-Dec-22
I once hit a tom straight on with a Bullhead. He stood tall to get a better look at me just as I released. Instead of cutting his neck off, I centered the beard. The hit rolled him back over himself. He laid there kicking and twitching for five seconds, then jumped to his feet and flew away. All I did was knock the wind out of him.

27-Dec-22
What would you recommend? Why?

27-Dec-22
You'd have to break a wingbutt or something similar to kill a turkey with a Bullhead on a body shot.

Bullheads are really cool but I much prefer a mechanical. I use a Dakota jake and every gobbler I have ever had come into the jake comes and attacks the decoy. They are bouncing around everywhere flogging the decoy and their heads are bobbing twice as bad. It is much easier to get a shot at them with a mechanical and they die fast when you hit them where you are supposed to hit them.

27-Dec-22
An Outfitter whom I know that hunts the same area where I hunt, told me a few years ago that he requires all his hunter to shot mechanicals for Turkey and that he they had never lose one with a Mechanical head. When he finished up with his last hunter, he started hunting for himself and lost one (with a mechanical) the first morning, but that is the only one that I know of that they ever lost.

I have shot them with many different heads over the years, currently I shot Magnus Bullheads 99.9% of the time, reason is they just flat out work and I am patient waiting for the right shot.

27-Dec-22
I’ve never lost one with a Bullhead and I’ve hit them all over including the head. I use my old traditional bow arrows that weigh a lot and they just crush turkeys. Wing butts, low chest, neck, done! They are just simply lights out in my experience. .

27-Dec-22

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Shot two this particular evening one where you’re supposed to, one not, neither went anywhere.

27-Dec-22
Was Thornton your camerman, Chad? ;-)

27-Dec-22
@midwest, my better half. I think she’s still crying!

27-Dec-22
I had a tom run then stop and I didn't adjust for range. Bullhead flew low and hit him in body instead of neck. In my case all it did was cut a bunch of feather and he ran/flew off unscathed. It would all depend where on the body it hit, but in general Bullhead to the body will not be fatal. I was shooting 65 pounds and distance was about 25 yards, so should have had plenty of KE. That's the 125 with 4" cutting diameter. The 100 with 2.75" cutting diameter may have fared better. Still, it's not meant for body.

27-Dec-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I’ve killed several birds with Bullheads, but only this bird with a body hit. If you look close, you can see blood on the bird’s chest, off to the side of his neck. The shot was an extreme hard quartering too, that barely missed the base of his neck. He flopped around for a few seconds and was dead. I got lucky. He was all puffed up, and I don’t know if that had any bearing on why I got the extra penetration to kill him or not. I was shooting 70lbs, and using a100gr Bullhead, which has a smaller cutting diameter than the 125. It didn’t hurt anything that he was only 7-10 yards from me as well.

I hit another longbeard head-on, like x-man, except maybe an inch above the beard. Knocked him a-hole over teakettle, but he regained his feet, and took off like a scalded cat and disappeared. Either way, I wouldn’t recommend body shots with Bullheads.

As for mechanicals guaranteeing a dead bird, I know that’s not necessarily true, either. Shot a longbeard this spring at 5 yds with a Rage Trypan and thought I hit him pretty well. He flopped around for a couple of seconds, then hobbled on mostly one leg, over into a little patch of brush and did everything but tip over. I got it all on film. I kept waiting for him to tip over, (instead of knocking another arrow) but he started limping further into the brush, towards the edge of the ravine, before I tried to get another arrow on the string. He ended up getting airborne and I never found him. I showed the video to several buddies, and every one of them couldn’t believe that bird didn’t tip over, either. Just a hair too low, I guess.

27-Dec-22

joehunter's embedded Photo
joehunter's embedded Photo
Wasp Jak-Hammer 13/4 cut. Just work well.

27-Dec-22
their is no more turkey dumber than a merriam,,,, I know i have shot a few,,, compared to an eastern pressure bird, world of difference... in any case, its a turkey, not that complicated.....

27-Dec-22
Agree that Merriams are not very smart, compared to Easterns. I’ve only arrowed two Rios and they seemed between the Merriams and Easterns in terms of wariness. But two birds is a small sample size.

27-Dec-22

MikeSohm/Magnus's embedded Photo
Thank you all for using our magnus bullheads. we dont recommend you shooting in the body with either the 100 gr or the 125 grain as they are for head or neck only. Obviously it does happen but typically unless your shooting high poundage the 100 grain and 125 grain will bounce of the body. we always recommend aiming right for the head or just below the head. Some bowhunters try and aim at the waddles on the base of the neck and the problem is if you hit a little low your into the body, If you air at the head and you hit low your taking the neck off. if you damage a blade and or broadhead all you need to do is email us at [email protected] with a picture and your name and address and we replace. Thank you

27-Dec-22

Errorhead's embedded Photo
Errorhead's embedded Photo
I've had good luck with a 3" 150 grain Swhacker, 3" is a big hole!

27-Dec-22
I have a few magnus bullhead 100gr. I wish I would have bought the 125gr for larger diameter. There is another brand that I can’t recall that is similar to the bullhead, but collapses down to fit in a quiver and then has a collar that screws open that holds the blades open. That is my beef with bullheads - transportation.

28-Dec-22
I transport my bullheads in the original packaging with arrows w/o heads in my quiver. I install two heads once I get to my blind.

28-Dec-22
I do the same as goyt. The cheap plastic covers intended to be used in a quiver for Bullheads aren't very durable.

28-Dec-22

sheds's embedded Photo
sheds's embedded Photo
Bullhead using a longbow, simply love it!

28-Dec-22

28-Dec-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I commissioned a guy to custom build me a hood to house my 100gr Bullheads. Like most talented artists, this guy was a bit eccentric, but it turned out great.

28-Dec-22
Vortex 2.75".. Cuz it knocks em down and they dont go anywhere.

28-Dec-22
Biggest cutting diameter you can shoot. I have had very good luck with cheap Allen ones you can't get at walmart. Bullheads are nice option to not trailing needed. Rule of thumb for me on turkeys has been draw and t on bird and shoot middle/middle with exandable and watch them die!

29-Dec-22

Hey all, if you damage one of our quiver adapters. email us a picture of it with your name and address and we replace. Its that simple. If you damage a blade or broadhead take a picture and email to us with your name and address and we replace. It doesnot cost you anything. No hassle lifetime replacement guarantee. I have taken 17 bullheads with my bow and there is nothing cooler than seeing their heads fly off.

29-Dec-22
Thx Mike, didn't realize you had the same guarantee on your quiver adapters. I may just take you up on that, although I've just gotten used to carrying my arrows without a head and keeping the heads in a small plastic container in my backpack.

You may not remember me, but you were extremely helpful as I was getting tuned in close to a decade ago and I've been using 125gr Bullheads ever since. Due to the terrain, and conditions I hunt, I needed to get Bullheads with longer arrows flying the same as my standard arrows in case I had to deal with brush or grass during stalks or quick setups that precluded using Bullheads. I eventually arrived at my same shafts, only longer, with (6) fletches either 4" or Blazer, along with a 4" aluminum foot to stiffen the shaft just a tad due to longer length. For me these turkey arrows fly same point of impact 20+ yards. I prefer using Bullheads on decoys set up ~10-yards or so.

31-Dec-22
Rage extreme turkey broadheads. 2 1/8 with the meat hooks. I’m not big on Rages for anything else, but have killed turkeys with these. They work well.

31-Dec-22

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
I’m a body shot guy as well. Last year I switched to DeadRinger Super Freak. They aren’t what I would call a high quality head, and not necessarily very sharp, but they are big and I’m not looking for penetration (actually the opposite). Killed a couple with them last year and was pleased.

—jim

31-Dec-22
Something serrated, well, not sure.

03-Jan-23
G5 Tekan....Just works for me!

05-Jan-23
I shoot my same setup as I do for deer or anything else. Shot placement is key but on a marginal hit you can't beat a big mechanical.

• Sitka Gear