WYOelker 30-Dec-22
Jaquomo 30-Dec-22
Chris S 31-Dec-22
fdp 31-Dec-22
Shug 31-Dec-22
Nick Muche 31-Dec-22
Jaquomo 31-Dec-22
29-Dec-22
My son age 12 has been begging for the accubow. I have not eased with one at all and while it seems like a cool Concept, I am not sure if it will actually help, or harm his shooting…. We can shoot to 80 yards at home and I usually shoot 2-3 times a week, but he does not….

Will this help or hinder? Does it work? The bow good? The app any good?

29-Dec-22
Not sure how it could harm his shooting as long as it's used in a manner that mimics the way he uses his regular bow. And unless he has competition aspirations not sure it would matter any way.

Any type of practice CAN be detrimental including blind bale shooting etc. just depending on how it's done.

29-Dec-22
Imo nothing beats the real thing.

29-Dec-22
I bought an Accubow this past summer to help rehab a shoulder. It was great for that because of the wide range of adjustability. I also used it on hunts (I hunt from a base camp) to stretch before hunting and hopefully not reinjured my shoulder.

One good thing for a newbie bowhunter is the simulated hunt feature, where it provides multiple opportunities to watch animals in all sorts of angles, walking, stopping, picking a spot and determining shot angles and learning a surprise (or semi-surprise) release. I could see how it would be great for someone with TP as well, as part of the rehab from that disease.

I never tried the video game option where you shoot for score against other shooters. The app is easy to use and gives choices of all sorts of critters to "hunt", and I do that sometimes, while other times just picking spots and releasing without the phone attached to the device.

One downside is that it draws more like a recurve or longbow, rather than breaking-over like a compound. So you set the holding weight similarly to the holding weight on your bow. It is not a strength-building tool per se, but more of a tool for developing and fine-tuning shooting discipline. But it is so easily adjustable that it will also build strength if that's a goal.

Since it's tough for me to shoot outdoors very often in winter where I live in the high mountains due to near-constant wind, I have incorporated the Accubow into my every-other-day indoor workout regimen.

Is it perfect? Nope. Is it useful? Yep. Will it get him more interested in shooting to hunt? Very possible, after spending some time "hunting and shooting" animals on the app. PM me if you want to talk more in detail.

29-Dec-22
Looks like fun but why did they have to make the bow look like something out of Flash Gordon?

30-Dec-22
Those wheels at the end are how you adjust the holding tension, one click at a time. Otherwise it looks sexxxy with the cool carbon fiber diamond pattern!

30-Dec-22
Thanks guys. I did not want him developing bad posture, or hammering his release etc.

I am not sure if the thing will register such actions or not?

Maybe I will let him try one…

30-Dec-22
Yes, it actually will help with that if you help him with his form and release. Just like with real archery, bad habits can develop. But from my experience it provides an opportunity to work on those on a regular basis in simulated hunting conditions. You may really like it too. ;-)

31-Dec-22
I’m very interested in this thread. In Nov I had shoulder surgery (long story why it was during archery season). Anyway I had torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and a torn bicep tendon. I hunted a few times with a crossbow bc I was in a sling. I saw some commercials for accubow but don’t know anyone who has tried one and reviews are mixed. I’m curious if it would just help me pull back my bow sooner by starting low and working up as o go through rehab. It appears to go much lower in weight than my actual bows. I’m interested in any input for rehab. Thanks.

31-Dec-22
I'm sure the product mentioned would work to some degree. But for rehab, loosening up, or building strength plain old exercise bands are tough to beat.

31-Dec-22
Do we have the option of saying indifferent?

31-Dec-22
I love mine. I use it before I wake up each night and often times right after bed.

31-Dec-22
Nick, that's not an "Accubow".. ;-)

Chris, this is basically a widely adjustable exercise band with a string loop on a riser, except with a semi-lifelike hunting app so you can practice your release and anticipation on "animals" while rehabbing. What I did for rehab was what you are suggesting. Started out very low and gradually worked my way up in holding weight. Later I dropped it back down to approximate the holding weight on my compounds for stretching before the hunt and also working on my release when I can't shoot a bow due to weather.

Shug, sorry, you have to have a strong opinion even if you know nothing about it, have never used it or even held one in your hand. That's how the internet works.

• Sitka Gear