midwest 03-Jan-23
Wideone 03-Jan-23
Woods Walker 03-Jan-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 03-Jan-23
Arrownoob 03-Jan-23
midwest 04-Jan-23
Ollie 04-Jan-23
30-Dec-22
For me it is time to visit or call landowners. I have the use of private land. I like to visit the landowners between now and spring. I do let them know I enjoyed the hunt but we talk about a lot of things. My goal is to be viewed as a a friend who happens to hunt on their property.

03-Jan-23
I suspect my original message was boring.I would like to share more boring stuff. On new years day I saw the rain outside so I washed my hunting clothes. I took my little dog for a walk collecting cards from my trail cameras.. I have an image of a small buck I hadn't seen before. The highlight was a chat with a landowner. He had an unpleasant experience with an adjoining landowner. I promised to investigate and intervene. In our conversation I learned a bit about the new landowner. With mutaul respect and honesty I think we will all win in the end.

03-Jan-23
I absolutely hate asking for permission to hunt. I'm not a very good schmoozer and I hate feeling like a stranger intruding. I wish I had the skills of Lee from Seek One.

03-Jan-23
I feel very fortunate to have my hunting place. Wildlife heaven in Nebraska. I try to treat the landowner right but am not good at it. I hope he knows how much it means to me. most of the adjacent owners have sold out to outfitters. Hanging on to mine.

03-Jan-23
The place where I do most of my bowhunting I've been hunting for almost 30 years now. It has the same owner. We're about the same age, and were old friends now too. I probably get as much enjoyment out of sitting with and visiting him drinking coffee as I do the actual hunting!

03-Jan-23
Midwest x2

03-Jan-23
I took my son turkey hunting in New York. There was some state forest land next to ag and the turkey were all in the ag. I stopped and asked the landowner for permission. He and his wife were in their late 80s. Huge property. They used to raise pigs but stopped in the 70s. The guy looked at me suspiciously, paused, then said “go ahead.” We went the next day and parked near an empty house. That was the owners daughter who passed away. We hunted hard all morning unsuccessfully. Amazing property but we have away our position and the birds outsmarted us. On the way out there was a knob at the very top I wanted to look at. We went there and it was an amazing overlook of the enter valley. There were higher points but none with a view like that. The memorial stone for the daughter was there. I just can’t imagine all the stories from the family, that land, and the farm in the 8 decades he was there. Private land can be amazing not just for trophies. If you know some old farmers you’re pretty lucky since 99% of people never get to meet those people.

04-Jan-23
Arrownoob, 100% There were some amazing old farmers I met back in the days before leasing and recreational farms. Many sacrificed afternoon hunts just sitting on the porch listening to stories. Loved it!

04-Jan-23
Good luck. At one time a Christmas card and ham would keep your access to many farms. Now you are competing with the hunter who pulls into his driveway and offers $$$ for hunting rights. If it has not happened, it likely will.

• Sitka Gear