Mpdh 06-Jan-23
jordanathome 06-Jan-23
Ambush 06-Jan-23
Paul@thefort 07-Jan-23
JRABQ 08-Jan-23
Paul@thefort 08-Jan-23
03-Jan-23

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Just when one thinks that there is not a goose on the planet, here they come!!!!! Stay tuned, maybe a goose for Teal.
Just when one thinks that there is not a goose on the planet, here they come!!!!! Stay tuned, maybe a goose for Teal.

03-Jan-23
Set those wings! Good luck buddy!!

03-Jan-23
After 3 days of seeing 50 plus geese in the goose field, I invited Jerry to a "slam dunk, epic goose hunt and following day. Well, not a goose was interested where we were hunting. Yea, a couple gave us a nod and a honk, but none landed. Then yesterday as I arrived at the goose field to run Teal, there was 6 geese right in front of the blind near the house. My plans was to arrive this morning and only use three mating pairs out in front 15 yards. Not much happed for the first hour. Cool morning at 16 degrees. Then the flock pictured above sails over but does not stop. I gave out a few welcome honks.

03-Jan-23

Without notice these two land within bow range. I scramble to get ready.
Without notice these two land within bow range. I scramble to get ready.

03-Jan-23
This seems like another dead goose and more practice for Teal.

03-Jan-23
I'm predicting two geese for Teal. ;)

03-Jan-23
Yep, scrambling is not good. Forgot to take off the sun glasses. Had a hard time drawing back. Rushed the shot and missed. Off goes the two geese. Well, that might be my last chance this morning and no goose for Teal. All is quiet.

03-Jan-23

At least the sun was going to be out and it was a still morning
At least the sun was going to be out and it was a still morning

03-Jan-23

An hour later, all hell breaks loose. Geese every where and flying low.
An hour later, all hell breaks loose. Geese every where and flying low.
They keep coming
They keep coming
Here is a group within bow range. Drawing back, release...
Here is a group within bow range. Drawing back, release...

03-Jan-23

Wack. One down. More geese coming and landing
Wack. One down. More geese coming and landing
The geese just kept pilling in
The geese just kept pilling in

03-Jan-23

singles
singles
and more
and more
Time to pick out a close, this one at 22 yards, Whack!
Time to pick out a close, this one at 22 yards, Whack!

03-Jan-23

broken wing, had to run him down. Would have been a great chance for Teal, but I left him at home this morning. Will get him, once the hunt is over.
broken wing, had to run him down. Would have been a great chance for Teal, but I left him at home this morning. Will get him, once the hunt is over.

03-Jan-23

Fifteen minutes later I returned with Teal for some training. A goose wing is just right for a 7 month old pup.
Fifteen minutes later I returned with Teal for some training. A goose wing is just right for a 7 month old pup.
WE did this training a few more times with the goose wing and then just ran around the property. Now delivering to hand and sitting. Coming along just fine. Large goose too much for him to handle.
WE did this training a few more times with the goose wing and then just ran around the property. Now delivering to hand and sitting. Coming along just fine. Large goose too much for him to handle.
Good ending. 7 geese for the season so far. Three misses but I have found all of my arrows. :). Thanks, Paul and Teal
Good ending. 7 geese for the season so far. Three misses but I have found all of my arrows. :). Thanks, Paul and Teal

03-Jan-23
Another fine day in field!

03-Jan-23
Awesome job Paul and Teal. Love your goose hunting recaps.

03-Jan-23

Brad and Ken, in the 12 years have hunted this property, I have never had so many geese in the field at once, as I did this morning with over 100 for sure and so quickly. Just fun to see them fly in, land and go about their day. All the stars did line up just right.

03-Jan-23
Awesome goose hunt Paul! Always look forward to these goose hunts.

04-Jan-23
What an awesome hunt! Those are the days that make up for all of the work and "less than desirable" days. Congrats Paul, how fun! I'll bet Teal knew exactly what you were up to when getting ready at home too:)

04-Jan-23
What a great training scenario for a pup! Congrats on another great day!

04-Jan-23
Every time I see a goose on the ground it brings a smile. Every time ! I love these threads !

04-Jan-23
Action packed hunt well done! I love watching the geese lock up and anticipation of it all.

04-Jan-23

Thanks guys, What can be better, a bow in one hand and a Labrador Retriever at the other and geese over head. Life is good! Yea, Teal gets very excited. When I let him out he pees and then heads right for the rear of the truck with that look in his eyes, " Hurry up dad, let get rolling".

04-Jan-23
Awesome work Paul! We too saw huge numbers of geese here in Southern Alberta! Thanks for posting the pics and stories! Shooting birds with a bow is simply a blast! Good on yah!!!

04-Jan-23
Keep knocking them down, Paul!

04-Jan-23
100 gees on less than a few acres. That's a sight. Teal is a happy dog!

04-Jan-23
With all that time to take pictures, a video camera would be awesome....hint, hint!

04-Jan-23
Great work! You are charmed to be finding all of your arrows, I'm not that lucky;)

04-Jan-23

Brian, yea, I can do that with my camera but no way to edit and not willing to learn.

Deerhunter, I rap the arrow with hunter orange tape. Makes it stand out and easier to find.. grass or snow. Same with turkey arrows. In the snow one can follow the arrow skip marks made in the snow when there is a miss; have found them a 100 away of just wait until the snow melts.

04-Jan-23
Great job Paul thanks for sharing cool pictures Lewis

04-Jan-23
Paul have you killed any banded birds? I know a few guys who let them land and search for leg bands before unloading on them. Those look like real nice fat geese! Like the orange band on the arrows. Jim

05-Jan-23

Good question Jim. Of the 100 geese I have killed from this location, over the past 12 years, not one was banded. Actually of the many ducks I have killed in Colorado, none were banded also. Thirty years ago when I lived in Northern Ohio and hunted ducks and geese, off of Lake Erie, it was somewhat normal to get a band per year. Not sure if the USFWS or States are banding many birds these years.

Fat geese? Yea, most of these geese are local, AKA Yard Hoppers, and do not spend a lot of energy flying hundreds of miles like the migration geese do. Crock Pot goose, Goose burger, Goose jerky. Good stuff.

If one is interested to learn about banning of waterfowl, look up USFWS banning of waterfowl. Good info on recent banning operations in Canada and how the weather changes have affected the banning operations across Canada and the number of waterfowl entering the US. USFWS was unable to do these operations for the past two year because of Covid and lack of be allowed to ender Canada to do so. 2022 was the first time recent banning operations were allowed. I doubt if Colorado is banning any or many waterfowl although there is deep concern about the outbreak of Avian Bird Flu across the county and here in Colorado.

05-Jan-23
Good stuff Paul! I do a lot of goose hunting but with the shotgun. Have you tried making corned goose? If not, and you enjoy eating corned beef you should try it. Super simple. I follow the deli style corned beef recipe from Morton's Salt.

05-Jan-23
More good times Paul, and I think you're smart keeping Teal home or "tied down" until he gets bigger. I've seen, and heard stories of, young dogs go after a live goose and get "beaten up", and some wouldn't go after one again. You two have fun!

05-Jan-23
John, never thought about corned goose. Just looked it up and will surely try that. Thanks for the suggestion and for following along. Paul

05-Jan-23

JohnNWCT's embedded Photo
Sure thing Paul, just make sure you buy/use Morton's tender quick. 1 bag goes a long way.

05-Jan-23

05-Jan-23
SitO. You are correct, while Teal can handle a Mallard Duck, the goose is much too big and all he wants to do is try to grab it in various places to get a hold and more likely, lick and blood and pull out lots of feathers. The Goose wing is just right size and later I will tie two goose wing together for a larger package. Little by little he will get the point. Fun times in a puppies life. Paul Teal in 7 months old tomorrow.

05-Jan-23
That corned goose looks great ?? Lewis

05-Jan-23
Great hunt and fantastic pictures. Enjoying it from my lounge chair.

05-Jan-23
Corned goose makes for great Ruben sandwiches!! Paul I have heard that goose banding has decreased ,especially neck bands as guys target those particular birds. Just what I have heard. Grand Lake St Mary's is not far from me and one of the guys who works the refuge still bands a lot of woodies. Seems like I get a few every year from there to mount for clients.

05-Jan-23
As always...AWESOME stuff. Thanks for posting and taking us along on your adventures...even if they are in your neighborhood. :)

06-Jan-23
Outstanding Paul! Keep em coming, Bob

06-Jan-23
Great job Paul and Teal.....Thanks for sharing your always excellent pics and recap with us!

06-Jan-23
Paul Do you have to use lead free broadheads :) Just wondering about having a broadhead hung up in a goose and having Teal grabbing a bird with an exposed broadhead? Any worries? Your friend, Tom

06-Jan-23
Tom, good question. No lead free BHs :):). As in the past, as with Chase the wonder dog. If the arrow stayed in the goose, I would not send the dog to retrieve. I would keep the dog at the blind, go out and remove the arrow, reset the goose and then send the dog. Over 100 geese and no issues. My best, Paul

06-Jan-23
Atta boy Paul!

06-Jan-23
I look forward to this every year. One of my favorite threads on Bowsite!

06-Jan-23
Thanks for sharing, really awesome to see my friend.

06-Jan-23
I know you are good with a camera and a stealthy hunter, but I was still amazed how you got those live geese with you (blind) in the background. Until it dawned on my slow brain that you have two blinds set up.

Looks like Teal is growing to fill the big hole left by Chase.

07-Jan-23

Yea Rod, Teal is making good progress and turned 7 months old yesterday. As you know, he is still too young to handle a big mature goose so I have been using a goose wing only, as a retrieving tool.

A few days ago while Teal and I were just running around, down around the pond, I found a small frozen goose, not much larger than a mallard duck. Not sure why it was there but I hung it in a tree off the ground and left it there.

So yesterday after a unsuccessful hunt, I let Teal out of his truck box and as I gathered up the decoys to end the hunt, Teal did his rounds of the field and did his usually exploring. A few minutes later I see him coming across the field with something in his mouth.

Yep, the small frozen goose. I saw in his eyes, he was saying. "Hey dad, I found one I can handle", as he approached. Yea, a special moment. My best, Paul

08-Jan-23
Regarding bands, I've shot several ducks in New Mexico that were banded in Colorado. Most from the San Luis Valley but a couple from North Park, nothing from the front range. Getting bands is overrated, it's mostly just luck and depends greatly on the area you hunt. Those yard hoppers probably never visit a refuge where they might get netted and banded.

08-Jan-23
Very true not visiting a refuge. Their "refuge" is the Ft. Collins area.

• Sitka Gear