Phil/VA 05-Jan-23
TD 06-Jan-23
carcus 06-Jan-23
Beendare 06-Jan-23
Sivart 06-Jan-23
lewis 06-Jan-23
DanaC 07-Jan-23
04-Jan-23
I know there was a thread on this but I couldn’t find it so I’m looking to get a new one and I was looking at the fenix and the ledlenser I think that is way it’s spelled.Anyway ideas for a good headlamp. Thanks Lewis

04-Jan-23

DanaC's Link

04-Jan-23
I bought a zebra light with high cri last year. Amazing lamp, bought two rechargeable batteries.

You can light up a foot ball field, or have an almost imperceivable amount of light.

04-Jan-23
I like the lux headlamps from Lowe’s they are bright and at a reasonable cost. I have a fenix and it is great but for the price it’s hard to beat the lux.

04-Jan-23
I had a Zebra light that took a double A battery. I really liked it. I seemed to have lost it while moving to a new house. Need to order a new one. I may try one with a rechargeable battery.

04-Jan-23
"I like the lux headlamps from Lowe’s they are bright and at a reasonable cost."......they do everything I ever needed a headlight to do. However they have -0- designer attraction.

I also had one I bought years ago at Wal-Mart that worked as well as any.

04-Jan-23
Black Diamond for me.

04-Jan-23
Thanks guys appreciate the help Lewis

04-Jan-23
https://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-Tilt-Clip-Light-Camo/dp/B001KWI6YE/ref=asc_df_B001KWI6YE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309820094345&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7539194701437367821&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003419&hvtargid=pla-567394522022&psc=1

I've used this one for years and I use the green module for walking into my stand (it's plenty bright enough) and if I have a tracking job in the dark the white module is super bright.

I like the fact that you can clip it to the visor of your hat (for those who hunt with one).

04-Jan-23
I like the lux headlamps from Lowe’s they are bright and at a reasonable cost. I have a fenix and it is great but for the price it’s hard to beat the lux.

04-Jan-23
I only use Fenix, but depending on the model, they can take special batteries and not just basic AA types.. That can cause issues for me if I don't keep track of charging batteries or having extras.

04-Jan-23
Coastal or Princeton tec for me.

04-Jan-23
Another vote for Black Diamond.

04-Jan-23
Petzl or Black Diamond.

04-Jan-23
Everybody's been raving about the new peax headlamp. Gonna try that one when it comes back in stock.

I'm amazed at how many people on rokslide don't like the black diamond. Been using one for years w/ good luck. Although wish it was a little brighter

04-Jan-23
Fenix is great quality and has several models, I like and use the rechargeable options.

04-Jan-23

JTreeman's Link
I think it kinda depends. For multi-day backcountry type stuff I am a big fan of the ZebraLite. I have the head lamp and a hand held. They both take AA. I prefer AA for backcountry type trips. I always carry extra, easy to find if needed, or bum off friends. Seems like AA always around. I am just not sold on the rechargeable a doe multi-day long range type stuff.

That said for hunting around home and general use I really like this cheap one from Amazon (see link). They are cheap and very useful. Huge light spread, and really bright. They are rechargeable, but around home it’s not really a worry for me.

—Jim

04-Jan-23

Jethro's Link
If you want rechargeable, then look at Sofirn. Good quality, great price. Can get 4 of them for the price of a Peax.

04-Jan-23
Got a petzl. No complaints albeit no red light.

04-Jan-23

JTreeman's Link
Sorry, weird double post.

—jim

04-Jan-23
I got a Sofirn D25S due to a recommendation on here last year and it has exceeded my expectations. Rechargeable. Very bright and long lasting. Cheap enough that you can throw in the river if it craps out on ya...... I always have a spare though

04-Jan-23
We do a lot of work at night and the Black Diamond Icon 700 and Zebra are the go to headlamps. The Icon has a rechargeable option that also has a usb to plug in your phone if you need a charge.

04-Jan-23
Zebra 18650 high cri fan here….lasts a long time and makes blood pop

04-Jan-23
I love my Ledlenser rechargeable. I seem to get 12-15 hours out of a charge at low level. It only lasts a couple of hours on high but it is bright enough to use as a spotlight. The battery pack comes out and you can use 3 AAA's in its place.

I'm on my second one over the past 8 years or so and I've never had to put batteries in either one. I lost the first one but later found it. It's still working fine but maybe runs down a little faster.

04-Jan-23
I have generally liked my Black Diamonds. They have a penchant for turning on in my pack so I need to be mindful about using the lockout function.

04-Jan-23
I’ve been looking for a new headlamp for a bit. Ended up with the sofirn, due to its super bright red light. I use red probably 90 percent of the time walking in and out. White just kills your night vision. This light has both white and red , and the red is as intense as the white. Think the white is 500 lumen, and the red lights up the hill behind the house! And it’s more of a wide beam instead of flood. This is the brightest red I’ve ever seen and is going to be great in the timber! Not sure on life yet but it does have 4 modes to conserve battery.

04-Jan-23
Peax is made by sofirn, bought mine direct for $21.

https://www.sofirnlight.com/products/d25s-powerful-1200-lumens-rechargeable-headlamp-dual-sst40-led-flashlight

04-Jan-23
Had black diamond until I bought Fenix.

04-Jan-23
I'm with Fields. Only Fenix. Magnesium housing. Can give off just a bit of light or blow up the entire mountainside. Long battery life. I've been using them for years for hiking, fishing, hunting and mountain biking. No plastic crap for me.

04-Jan-23
Sofirn d25L is an excellent headlamp. I have one for hunting and one for work. Battery lasts me a week at work on the lowest two settings.

04-Jan-23
X3 with the fenix can charge off my anker battery pack or solar charger if needed on a hunt but have never had one run out of juice. Crazy bright

05-Jan-23
https://www.sofirnlight.com/products/d25lr-rechargeable-headlamp-with-lh351d-5000k-white-led-and-sst20-dr-660-nm-red-led-micro-usb-charging-port?recommended_show_type=1&recommended_product=30a8ec4f-88e6-4c14-8b50-679a7a064e02&recommend_title=Highly%2BRecommended&recommend_rule=163924053046858083&ssp=saola&scm=saola.topsales&cfb=undefined&spm=..product_43d98c12-da1e-4f71-8261-524fa317ebac.recommend_0_1.1&variant=5a979fe9-1f95-4999-a4ac-96bb80294bd8

05-Jan-23

DanaC's Link
Above is the link for the red/white Sofirn. Looks good for the price.

Have a couple of Fenix lights, great build quality. Can get pricy...

05-Jan-23
Just bought a Milwaukee rechargeable headlamp for work I like it.

05-Jan-23
I really like my Sofirn I bought on a recommendation from a member here on a previous post last year (I think it was WapitiBob).

Super bright, multiple settings, rechargeable and under $25.

05-Jan-23
My favorite is the Sniper Hog Light. Its a bit heavy but is great for tracking. I t can be adjusted from spot to flood and for dimness.

https://sniperhoglights.com/40kap-headlamp/

06-Jan-23
Zebra 18650. Awesome headlamp. Have a bank of four 18650 in the pack that charge phones etc I can swap out as backup. (If you carry a "power bank" for charging phones etc it likely uses 18650s) Have been a fenix guy for yeas and still am, daily carry a fenix 18650 flashlight in my pocket. Great torch, lasts for months on one battery and I literally use it daily. But the zebra is the go to in headlamp.

Try to get everything in the l-ion 18650 if I can. They last "forever" and give full power until they give up. You won't kill your expensive electronics with chemical leaks and corrosion, normally finding that out when you actually need them. Handle weather a bit better as well. Have temp sensors in my freezers that pretty much only work with lithium.

Own any cordless tools? Own any that take conventional batteries? Likely not, they don't work well. Open up a cordless tool pack and you will likely find a bank of 18650 batteries. Laptop banks as well. I've re-built several my Makita tool batteries with 18650 (spot weld, don't solder..... don't short anything or it's pretty impressive show for such a small package)

Lithium (for now) is just the top of the food chain. Charge many many times faster, can take pretty much anything you can throw at them. Will put out near 100% capacity with no damage. (Lead acid batteries like your car are damaged when discharging below 50%.) Pretty amazing tech really. Game changing. Ask Elon... ;D

06-Jan-23
Petzl and fenix here, both very good, I like my petzl with the rechargeable battery

06-Jan-23
Im with TD’s sales pitch on lithium batteries.

FWIW, they don’t leak acid and wreck whatever you put them in like std AA and AAA batteries can after being left in there for awhile.

I made that mistake with a Foxpro…destroyed it, stupid move.

06-Jan-23
I was told the sofirn light doesn't have the same quality battery that the peax does?

06-Jan-23
Im still shopping I notice on the Zebra lights there is a flood and a floody mentioned do yall use these or not.Thanks Lewis

07-Jan-23
"I was told the sofirn light doesn't have the same quality battery that the peax does? "

Is the battery replaceable? Or are you talking about the _size_ of the battery - bigger generally lasts longer but weighs more. I have a one-AAA Fenix that serves for short walks in and out of the stand, but would be too small for 'serious' night work. (Always have a good hand light in the pack.)

• Sitka Gear