BULELK1 09-Jan-23
Paul@thefort 09-Jan-23
BULELK1 10-Jan-23
BULELK1 10-Jan-23
05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
'Morning All,

I hope the New Year finds you all just fine.

I'm trying to keep myself in good shape this winter, like every winter, and 1 of my old FAV's is Chukar hunting.

No more straight up and then hunt across, certainly more Angle up and hunt across!

Never had a Bird Dog so I've never known what I am missing???

I like to hunt along be base of cliffs/crags as this area melts out first, gets the most melt water and is warm enough it attracts the winter bugs for the Chukars to feed on, or so I've convinced myself.

My only Prerequisite is that is a Sheep unit so I can kinda scout and see what made it through hunting season.

I've helped 2 fellow Bowsiters over the last 3 years, in two different Sheep Units with suggestions from my Chukar hunting and they both have Bow harvested Rams.

#LovinLife,

Robb

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I do have the option when I get in the thicker high brush to get a Cottontail or 2 also.

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
There is a lot of down and back up after I get a quick shot or two and harvest or two so I'm certainly getting some leg and lung workout!

Ya know how they 'glide' after ya jump/bump them so the shot is usually unobstructed in this steep country.

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I harvested 5 that particular morning between these dang big snow/rain storms we are getting.

4 big Adults and fairly decent Juvenile.

When I figure I've got enough for a dang good meal, I just drop down to the road and huff-n-puff back to my JP Wrangler ---- haha

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Yup still using the ole Remington 870 20 gauge with 2 3/4-- 6 shot for any bunnies, Yotes or the occasional Red Fox

Still have the same High En$ sling! for 25 years.....

Packed a little snow in the Jeep Yeti, put the birds in a plastic bag and off I went for home.

I use to try and make a trip every November to Nv. before the season closes the end of November, I believe it was, but I'm content here at home.

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I'm cooking with the Can Cooker for this Bird meal

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I marinaded over night after I cubed up 10 breasts-----more meat than I thought and bigger.

I really like using fruit for a marinade, this time I went with simple Cherry Fruit Cups, the 4 pack

05-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks for taking the time to view All.

More to finish/follow.

I've got Reservation Lane @ the Indoor Range this early AM to shoot the 10mm, so off to the gym and then to the range.

Thanks again,

Robb

05-Jan-23
Nice!

05-Jan-23
now that's good living. I would love to shoot wild chukars.

05-Jan-23
Livin large !

05-Jan-23
Looks like a fun time and a delicious reward! Chuckar are fantastic eating IMO, better than chicken.

05-Jan-23
Definitely living the life Robb!

05-Jan-23
Makin' me hungry!!!

05-Jan-23
That's a darn good time and a darn good meal for sure.

05-Jan-23
Yea, what time is dinner; I will bring the wine? Paul

05-Jan-23
Hunting chukar without dogs is like having ________ . I mean it’s okay but once you’ve hunted wild birds over your own great dog it’s hard to go without a dog.

Good job on getting birds! I highly recommend chukar schnitzel, very easy and tasty!

06-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks for the input.

I like Bird Dogs on Pheasants, but they would take away the exercise value of Chukar hunting as they would be going down to get the harvested birds and bringing them back up to me!! haha

Over the years, I have modified the bottom of the Can Cooker with a small BBG grill and some mesh corners as food would go staight to the bottom and what a freaking cleaning mess that was!

06-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Once I've got everything washed clean and cut up it all goes in with the Mushroom soup about in the middle the final mix in is the Olive Oil and fruit,

06-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
After about 45-55 minutes on # 4 flame, it starts steaming out of the lil' hole on top. I turn the heat off, move it off the burner, and then wait 15-20 minutes for it to cool down as like a pressure cooker it certainly has some pressure until cooled down.

After I use a strainer and pour it all in, I like to lightly Brown the breast meat under bacon and then just have a plate to eat before mixing it all together.

It definately is a Run the Dishwasher in the middle of the week type clean up but so dang delicious!

06-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks again for taking the time to view All.

This wraps up for now.

Stay safe and happy.

#LovinLife,

Robb

06-Jan-23
They sure are pretty birds. Looks like a good exercise program, Robb. Nice work!

06-Jan-23
You earned those birds Robb ! Never eaten chukars like that, but I’ve eaten them grilled and fried. Good stuff !

06-Jan-23
Nice work Robb! Those little SOB's scared the crap out of me a couple times on my trip to Utah earlier this fall! They love to bust out under your feet!

06-Jan-23
Congrats!

07-Jan-23

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks so much

They make nice mounts too.

Good luck, Robb

07-Jan-23
Robb, my wife made up some chicken cordon blue with some chukar and pheasants. Pretty fancy and even tastier. Pretty simple recipe though. Good work on the cross hunting and even kinder of you to help other bowhunters, you are always the most generous. Straight arrows, your friend Tom

08-Jan-23
Thanks Tom

I won't be @ the Sheep Show this year....Bummer, maybe next we can get together.

Good luck, Robb

08-Jan-23
Robb Will look forward to that. Slowing down on the sheep hunting, but doing a lot of trapshooting and dog training. That should keep a man busy. Your friend, Tom

08-Jan-23
Good stuff, Robb! Certainly no grass growing beneath your feet!

08-Jan-23
One year I raised 50 Chukars to train my Wired Hair retriever. Definitely a nice bird for the table.

08-Jan-23
what a great way to break up the winter

08-Jan-23
nice share. love upland hunting. Nice to see the bobs starting to make a slow comeback in the southeast.

08-Jan-23
The only recommendation is when bird hunting you have to have a good bird dog, missing out 50% of the hunt. The day I quiet bird hunting is the day I do not have a bird dog..

08-Jan-23
The only recommendation is when bird hunting you have to have a good bird dog, missing out 50% of the hunt. The day I quiet bird hunting is the day I do not have a bird dog..

09-Jan-23
Thanks All

Good luck, Robb

09-Jan-23
Nicely done Robb. Beats going to the Gym. PS, What time is dinner? Will trade you a goose for a Chukar. My best, Paul

10-Jan-23
Fair Trade Paul----->

Good luck, Robb

10-Jan-23

• Sitka Gear