q d m 25-Jan-23
Mike Ukrainetz 25-Jan-23
Jeff.Thomp 25-Jan-23
Mike Ukrainetz 26-Jan-23
ki-ke 26-Jan-23
Mike Ukrainetz 26-Jan-23
05-Jan-23

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Mike Miller with his 2022 archery muley.
Mike Miller with his 2022 archery muley.
We had a fantastic 2022 fall hunting season here in NW Alberta, especially with our archery mule deer. Our best season yet! I’ll be posting pictures of all the animals we took over the next few weeks. I haven’t posted most of these photos anywhere else, I hope you enjoy it!

(For those not familiar with our outfit these are not exclusive access, private land hunts. In fact we don’t have any exclusive access, all of the private land we hunt can be hunted by anyone who asks for permission. Most local hunters can get more access than we can! We can’t pay $ for access, it’s illegal. We just scout and hunt in about 4600 sq miles of free ranging country, spread over three huge Wildlife Management Units, no baiting allowed either, except for bears in the spring.)

05-Jan-23
Big Alberta Mulies. Bring ‘em on.

05-Jan-23

Mike Ukrainetz's Link
Thanks Charlie, I forgot the link to our website and the bowsite sponsor banner! Dang it.

We do have one Muley Bowhunt and one Rifle hunt open for 2023 too! Call/text me anytime at (780)864-7736 cell for more info.

05-Jan-23
After my first mule deer hunt I can see how people get addicted to chasing mule deer.

05-Jan-23
Holy smokes, Mike! Looks like my camp record may have fallen with that toad! What did that thing score??

05-Jan-23
I’ll always remember your buck! It was truly a phenomenal deer, such a huge frame, heavy and extras. This guy is bigger, take a guess on gross score t-roy?!

05-Jan-23
I’m not too up on the nontypical scoring aspects on mulies, but I’ll guess 226”?

05-Jan-23
More. Great shot too

06-Jan-23
how were moose and elk hunts?

06-Jan-23
That’s a toad, always love this thread!

06-Jan-23
What a buck... keep 'em coming Mike.

06-Jan-23
Incredible deer, lets see the others!

06-Jan-23
Great deer!

06-Jan-23
Oh yeah. Been waiting for this one. Im booked with Mike for ‘24 and already cant wait!

06-Jan-23
Heck of a buck! Lots of mass and extras!

06-Jan-23
Thanks so much guys for the feedback! Keeps me going on posting the season success!!

Bou’bound, our moose and elk hunts were good but not great, seen it better seen it worse. I’ll be covering them too.

06-Jan-23
t-roy, throw up a pic of yours for comparison (if mike doesn't mind)

07-Jan-23
Wow! Mulies fascinate me. I've never had a chance to hunt them.

07-Jan-23

Here’s a screen shot of a video my guide Gerard took of the two biggest bucks we’ve ever seen hanging out together in August. Mike Miller’s buck and another giant typical.
Here’s a screen shot of a video my guide Gerard took of the two biggest bucks we’ve ever seen hanging out together in August. Mike Miller’s buck and another giant typical.
I would love to see t-Roy’s buck again!

We, guide Gerard actually, first saw Mike’s buck in mid August of 2018 as a probable 190 class non typical, 3 1/2 yr old. He got on our target list but soon disappeared never to be seen again all season. We hunted hard for him from the August 25th bow season opener, then all the way through rifle season, Sept 17 to Nov 30. He never even resurfaced during the rut! When the season closed we thought he must be dead.

We thought our suspicions were confirmed with no sighting of him in 2019 or 2020. We were wrong…

07-Jan-23

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here ya go, Mike. Pretty memorable hunt, for sure!

Curious as to why you think the buck that Mike shot last year, was the same buck from 2018, especially after 4 years? Very similar frame? Same area? Some other distinguishing characteristic?

07-Jan-23
Thanks t-Roy, what a stud buck, sooo heavy. 206 gross score I think he was and you killed him in one of the worst drought years we’ve ever had with a doofus guide of mine. I had my experienced guide all lined up and he decided to not come guide two weeks before the season.

Good questions. Mike’s buck was seen in the same area, within a mile or two every time in mid August. His typical frame was very distinct, short backs, long main beams and a few extras. I’ll see if I can find the 2018 pic.

07-Jan-23
We made lemonade ;-)

I edited my post with the pic of my buck. I asked a couple of questions about Mike’s monster.

07-Jan-23

Another shot of Michael’s beast and the tale of the tape, 236 6/8. A 195 gross typical frame and over 40 inches of nontypical points. 48 inches of mass.

The buck was quite a bit bigger than our biggest one before him at 214 score. We’ve taken about 6 other 200-210 archery muleys since 2006. But we still tell everyone that you should try to kill the first 170+ buck you come across, maybe even a 150-160 class deer, which is a great deer considering the Pope and Young minimum for mule deer is 145 net. Ones like this are a random fluke. It was Mike’s first hunt with us, we don’t try to save bucks for any special hunters.

07-Jan-23
HOLY SMOKES!! That oughta sell some hunts!!

Nothing like seeing a couple of huge racks floating just above the canola!

08-Jan-23
Damn! Great bucks Mike! I know what an incredible experience the spring bear hunt is like, can only imagine what the fall hunt is like! Incredibly rich game area and a long season to boot! Great hunt! Congrats on taking a few giants, Mike!!!

08-Jan-23
Thanks Dino!

08-Jan-23

Mike and his moose!
Mike and his moose!
Michael also took a bull moose with his bow on the same hunt. We had to back Mike way up in the photo to try to make the moose appear as large as his muley! 35 yd shot, 175 yd blood trail.

08-Jan-23
Mike, wonderful bowhunting memories right there. How do you save the velvet? Thanks

08-Jan-23
Any Elk photos from last year?

08-Jan-23
tthomas, in camp we just freeze the velvet antlers and wrap them up in the hunters clothing for insulation and protection for the hunter to fly home with as an extra bag. Then the hunters can get them freeze dried or just slowly air dry them, maybe with some borax rubbed in.

Bghunter, we will be showing our elk kills too, coming soon…

08-Jan-23

Here is Mike’s buck on Aug 18, 2021. We saw him just three times in 2021, then he disappeared again, he probably scored 210-215 gross in 2021. We have no idea where he was for all of 2019 and 2020? If a buck chooses to stay in the trees he is pretty much unkillable though, especially since you simply don’t see them, at least whitetails will lay down scrapes in the rut and follow some sort of pattern in the big woods where you have a chance, not the muleys.

08-Jan-23
Congrats once again Mike!!!! You guys always kill some giants!!

T-Roy, that’s a toad!!!

Mark

09-Jan-23

Michael with his Bison
Michael with his Bison
Michael pulled off a triple header with a muley, moose and a semi-free range Bison!

72 yard shot on a big bull

09-Jan-23
Hopefully when my check makes it from MS to Alberta Mike can tell y’all that this hunt is taken!! I am beyond excited. Always wanted to mule deer hunt and this hit perfectly. I might dip in at T-Roy’s and see if I can rent his rabbit foot!!!

09-Jan-23
curious about bison hunt don't see anything about bison on your website.

09-Jan-23
Thanks for booking Shiloh! Josh beat the record for fastest contract filled out and check “in the mail”. I think you deserve a giant! We will see what we can find for you?! We have a few that eluded us last fall…

The Bison is an unofficial opportunity kind of thing while you are here. Michael was helping out on his buddies hunt after he had killed his deer, positioned on an escape route to see where some bucks might go. They went the wrong way and he was waiting for pickup when the rancher came by on his 4 wheeler looking for an escaped Bison. He wanted to kill it. Mike said he would love to shoot it with his bow! They thought that would be fun to see so they went after it and when it threatened to charge them, it was either a 72 yard shot or a rifle kill. Mike got it done! Whoohoo!!

09-Jan-23

JB. from New York with the first muley kill of the year, Aug 27.
JB. from New York with the first muley kill of the year, Aug 27.
JB. Is in the witness protection program and didn’t want his picture shown anywhere so I had to block his face out. He took his buck with a new guide of mine, Cody Reid from Saskatchewan. Cody is an avid mule deer hunter at only 19 years old but he knew how to get it done with JB. The buck scored 162 gross, massive but short beams. This is the type of buck we will tell hunters to try to kill if they are in a good spot. You just never know how many stalks can get blown, shots missed, bad weather roll in etc

09-Jan-23
Don’t trample the Canola…

09-Jan-23
Haha, Charlie, yeah farmers will blow a gasket I’ve heard…

We always avoid doing crop damage and pay for any that we accidentally do!

09-Jan-23
Some incredible animals so far, Mike! Keep it coming!

09-Jan-23
Thanks gator!

09-Jan-23
Congrats, Josh! You’re gonna have fun. I’ll dust off the rabbit’s foot for ya!

10-Jan-23

Blake Luse from Montana
Blake Luse from Montana
This was Blake’s 4th mule deer bowhunt with us and he got another great deer! He took it on the same day as JB, Aug 27th with guide Cody. Blake drives his car up from Montana right to the lodge, then he can head home as soon as he tags out. This year he left so quick I never got the deer scored. He figured it was about 173 gross, nice and wide, big brows. Blake rebooked for 2023. He killed a 200 incher a few years ago with us, hopes to repeat it again one day!

10-Jan-23
Troy's "doppelganger" ;)

10-Jan-23
Troy's buck's doppleganger too ;-)

11-Jan-23

Phil Wettstein from Iowa
Phil Wettstein from Iowa
Phil came on the hunt with his buddy Michael and he got a beautiful buck too! 176 gross score with matching inline points.

(Not that it should matter much, but before our traditional evening scoring session I really thought the buck would go over 180 but no brow tines kept it under, good 3-5 inch brow tines make a huge score difference but not much of a difference in look.)

Guide Gerard got both of them their deer on a two hunters to one guide hunt. Two muleys, a moose and a bison all in one busy week! Hunters often get nervous about booking a 2 on 1 hunt but we’ve been able to do really well with them. It’s not easy to find good bowhunting guides and you are much better to be with one great guide than be split up with a less than stellar guide.

11-Jan-23

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Yep, I booked a 2x1 in Mikes very first year in Spirit River and although my son and I had Mike as our guide we tagged out on day one and day two. Ha Ha.

11-Jan-23
Hey Mike great deer! I have to get up there sometime. What would you say your average shot distance is on the mule deer?

11-Jan-23
I think Charlie came up to see if he could steal my new bride! She seems to be enjoying it too?! See how he positioned himself and left me with the dog!! Haha

About a 40 yard average shot, with the guide using a rangefinder. If you can hit a pie plate out to 50 you’ll be in great shape. We can often get much closer but choose not to so we don’t get spotted hiding in the crop. Maybe a trad guy could jump up out of the crop and shoot at 10-20 yards?!

11-Jan-23
^^^ Yeah Mike, I noticed that too in your photo.

12-Jan-23

Keith Gameson from Kentucky
Keith Gameson from Kentucky
Keith came along on the hunt with Michael and Phil and he got lucky too on Aug 30th. He shot a giant, 193 gross score, a massive heavy deer. Gerard had it scouted out too but we hadn’t really put a score estimate to it, just said he was 180+ and big enough. When he’s “only” a main frame 3 point on one side you have a tendency to focus on that shortcoming and not give the deer full credit. Well, he got full credit when they brought him into camp! The g2 on the 3 point side was 22 inches long and beefy, heavy.

I should have more details on how the deer were killed. I wasn’t in the field with them so I forget the stories told back in camp. I’ll see if I can get details or get my guides or hunters to chime in, would make the thread more interesting. Sorry for now.

12-Jan-23

All three bucks back in camp! 193, 237 and 176
All three bucks back in camp! 193, 237 and 176
Keith Gameson, 41 yard shot, Michael Miller, 35 yd shot and Phil Wettstein, 12 yd shot. They were all first time hunters with us.

12-Jan-23
It can’t get here soon enough! Looking forward to being in camp this fall!

13-Jan-23

Alex Such from North Dakota
Alex Such from North Dakota
18 year old Alex Such (right) with 19 yr old guide Cody. They killed this 176 gross score buck with one 35 yard shot in our East zone on Sept 3rd.

Alex’s Dad Ryan was also on the hunt and even though he is an awesome shot, deadly out to 80 yds, he barely missed the mark on a big buck hitting him right in the shoulder. The buck easily survived it and was killed opening day of gun season Sept 17th by another outfitter. It went 190 gross. Ryan booked his Redemption Tour hunt for 2023!

13-Jan-23
Awsome bucks Mike.

I hope 2023 is great for you, and your business is back on track after the last couple years.

There’s a pretty small group of outfitters I’ve seen on bowsite over all the years I’ve been here that produce happy clients and great hunts year after year. Your definitely one of them.

13-Jan-23
Good stuff, Mike!

13-Jan-23
Great hunts Mike! Nothing better than a big mule deer buck!

14-Jan-23

Fred Soares from California
Fred Soares from California
Thanks guys, really appreciate the positive comments!

Fred Soares featured here with his 190 inch buck. It’s a classic Peace River muley, big brow tines, heavy, extra inline point but narrow. Often we will give an experienced mule deer hunter from the Western USA an, “in the field estimate”, of a buck like this in the 180’s or 190 and they will really doubt us. They’ll often say there is no way a 20 inch wide outside spread buck is going to be 190, that is until it’s dead and the see the somewhat abnormal features of our mule deer. They often think a high scoring muley has to be 30 inches wide. I love wide bucks, we just don’t have ‘em.

39 yard initial shot and then a 55 yd finisher for Fred.

14-Jan-23

65 year old buddies together on a hunt of a lifetime!
65 year old buddies together on a hunt of a lifetime!
“Mike I wanted to thank you for a great hunt. Mike and I both thought you and your crew did an aceptional job both with the hunt and the hospitality. It was well above our expectations. We could not have had a better time. Tell Gerrard thanks for his skills and patience with to old timers. Thanks again Fred”

15-Jan-23
Photos and deer both extraordinary.

16-Jan-23

Mike McEntee from California
Mike McEntee from California
Thanks bou’bound!

On Sept 4, Fred’s buddy Mike McEntee shot this giant typical that was hanging out with Michael Miller’s buck. The really incredible part is that 65 yr old McEntee has Parkinsons with a very visible shaking. When I first met him I thought there was no way he was going to be able to even hit a buck, never mind kill it. Well, he smoked this huge 206 gross score buck at 30 yds! The deer had a 200 inch typical frame and 6 inches of non typical. It may not look that big in the picture because Mike couldn’t get crouched down behind it but believe me, it was huge!!

Mike was such a nice guy too, humble and very gracious.

16-Jan-23

It’s often a big Team effort on these early season bowhunts.

So we hosted 9 mule deer bowhunters who shot 9 bucks, flesh wounding one and killing 8 of them. We averaged 189 gross score with 4 of the bucks going over 190 and two of them over 200. Our best year ever and we don’t expect to top it. We feel very blessed!

16-Jan-23

This shot gives a better idea of the real size of these deer.

16-Jan-23
Looks like a grand time. I am going to have to give it a try!! Hunt

16-Jan-23
Yes you will HUNT MAN! You got that deposit check in the mail?!

16-Jan-23
Some great mule deer!

16-Jan-23
Yes sir!!

17-Jan-23

Michael Miller with his 310 lb beast
Michael Miller with his 310 lb beast
Mike McEntee’s buck at an even bigger 330 lbs!
Mike McEntee’s buck at an even bigger 330 lbs!
300+ lb bucks, live weight, is common for our 4+ yr olds. If it’s a really good moisture year along some hot summer days some bucks will get over 350 lbs with the occasional giant hitting 380+!

(In case anyone is wondering why we don’t have the deer gutted, the farmers don’t want the deer gutted in their crop field so we walk them out with a medical stretcher and then it’s not far to the lodge where we can get them quickly gutted and cooled with our walk in freezer. Charlie’s son Matt built the steep roof on the cooler back in 2006. Thanks again Matt and Charlie!)

17-Jan-23
Once I save enough pennies Alberta mulies would be the first and maybe only outfitted hunt I'd pay for. It's like nothing else. Had a friend that lived there and was able to do the hosted thing at one time. It was amazing amazing fun.

17-Jan-23
Yeah APauls, archery mule deer in the warm days of August and September is a great hunt and a very limited opportunity. We have the only archery outfitter mule deer bow tags in two huge zones totalling 3600 sq miles, 4 in each one, that’s it. Otherwise you pretty much need to be an Alberta resident to hunt muleys.

18-Jan-23

Bobby Long from New Mexico
Bobby Long from New Mexico
Bobby was a deadly shot and had no problem anchoring this early season bull moose on Sept 2. New guide Aaron Bourassa helped him get it done!

18-Jan-23

Guide Gerard
Guide Gerard
Gerard got his hunters all tagged out and went moose bowhunting on Sept 6. One short calling session in a wide open field and a 40 yard shot later and he had his bull!

The moose get hard horned right about this time, Sept 5-10.

18-Jan-23
Mike, it looks like you're running an Old Folks Recreational Center . . . . . . . .

. . . . . for stone cold Killers!!!!

18-Jan-23
Ambush, yeah, Bobby was an older gentleman and I doubted his abilities, most guys in their 60’s are not too great a shot anymore, until I found out he was a former high level SWAT team member and shooting coach. He was deadly!

18-Jan-23

caribou77's embedded Photo
caribou77's embedded Photo
Chad wanted me to remind you, you do have wide ones too

18-Jan-23
"most guys in their 60’s are not too great a shot anymore".

I was going to book a hunt with you until you insulted my age group.

I still might book, I just have to get a fake I.D. :)

18-Jan-23
Haha, sorry about that Ken! I’m 55 yrs old and my eyes sure aren’t what they use to be! Wish I had my old eyes and physical capabilities!

18-Jan-23

19-Jan-23
Hey Luke, thanks for posting Chad’s rifle kill from a few years ago, 200+, 30 incher!

19-Jan-23

Shane Campbell from Oregon, (wishes he was back in Missouri)
Shane Campbell from Oregon, (wishes he was back in Missouri)
That’s it for archery mule deer.

Next is archery elk and moose that we do from Sept 7 to 14 and Shane got his moose the first full day of the hunt, Sept 8. It was an initial 35 yard shot, then a couple misses at 55 and 60, then a finisher at 30. Gerard called the bull in with our early season calling method. The other person is Waylen Case who was also on the 2 hunters to 1 guide hunt.

20-Jan-23

Waylen Case from Illinois
Waylen Case from Illinois
Waylen also got his moose with a 12 yd shot, called in once again by Gerard. Sept 10 kill.

Waylen and Shane both had elk tags too. Shane had to leave the hunt early after killing his moose. The forest fires in Oregon were threatening his home so he headed home, one of the perks of driving up. He loaded up his meat and took off. Waylen stayed and hunted elk hard with Gerard. They put on the miles and got into elk almost every single time out, sometimes with multiple bugling bulls. But no kill. That’s bowhunting!

21-Jan-23

Phil Parker from Colorado
Phil Parker from Colorado
Phil took his elk with one 23 yd shot on Sept 10. New guide Cody Reid sent out a location bugle in a good spot and got an immediate response from less than 200 yards away. They set up with Phil right in front of Cody and the bull came directly into the call and turned broadside. Phil drew back and shot him, the bull went 100 yds. Just like that, piece of cake that elk bowhunting!

Phil and his buddy Howard both had elk and moose tags but they only got the one animal. They had other opportunities but it just didn’t work out. That’s bowhunting too!

The elk and moose bowhunt is so reliant on physical fitness, how the guide and two hunters work together and then knowing when to make the right move on an elk coming into a call. Knowing when to stay rock solid still or make a move or simply when to draw your bow are all important factors. Not having a meltdown and missing or wounding helps too.

23-Jan-23

Karl Roehrig from Michigan
Karl Roehrig from Michigan
Jeff Rust from Michigan
Jeff Rust from Michigan
Karl and his buddy Jeff both got great mule deer in opening week of our rifle season. Karl killed a 187 non typical with guide Gerard on opening day Sept 17 and Jeff got a 184 with guide Aaron on Sept 19. If crop conditions are good then this hunt is like being handed a rifle in bow season, pretty easy and very likely to get a big 180+ deer. If crop conditions are poor, like in a drought year, then it’s a much tougher hunt. This year was good! (Jeff’s deer picture not so good, doesn’t display how big it was though.)

Our muley bucks don’t generally shed their velvet until Sept 20th to 25, especially the older, bigger bucks. After the 6 day opening week hunt we don’t do any mule deer hunts until the rut kicks in, Nov 7th.

23-Jan-23
WOW Mike! Great animals and some fabulous photos of them! Congrats to the hunters, guides and the Outfitter!!!

23-Jan-23
Thanks Kurt!

23-Jan-23
You weren’t kidding about Mike McEntee’s buck. The first pic of it sure didn’t look to be 200”, but the pic of Mike and his buddy holding their racks sure shows how big it actually was!

What’s going on with what looks like a couple of holes on top of the head of the bull moose that Waylon Case shot?

23-Jan-23
Yeah, on Waylen’s bull it does look weird? I’ve had a few people mention it but there was nothing odd about it when we brought it in. Just the photo I guess.

23-Jan-23
Heck of a good year up there Mike! Really good to see some amazing quality!!!

24-Jan-23
great stuff thanks for posting Mike

24-Jan-23

George Lucas from New Jersey
George Lucas from New Jersey
A picture of some of the amazing fall scenery along the mighty Peace River!
A picture of some of the amazing fall scenery along the mighty Peace River!
Opening week group at the lodge! We’ve been known to have the odd celebratory party here.
Opening week group at the lodge! We’ve been known to have the odd celebratory party here.
For opening week of rifle season, Sept 17 to 22 we take 6 hunters for a 6 day hunt, 2 mule deer and 4 elk. It’s the peak of the rut for the elk, kinda crazy to have a rifle opener on Sept 17th but that’s what they do here. It sure can be fun calling a bull into 20 yds and not having to worry about the hunter drawing his bow at the wrong time though! We just call em in and shoot em, if they’ll cooperate that is. Guide Cody with the shifty eyeballs, helped George kill his first bull elk. The bugling had slowed right down and they were wore out from 2 days of hiking so they sat a pipeline for the evening and this bull crossed. They hustled over and got him killed. No calling on this one. September 19th kill.

Thanks for the comments, rackmaster and bou’bound!

24-Jan-23
I'm headed back up to hunt with Mike in 2024 and excited to return to the game rich Peace River Region of Alberta. Mike and his guides are the best!

24-Jan-23
Really like this thread Mike.

25-Jan-23

25-Jan-23
Great Read and pics Mike

Class act for sure. Thanks for sharing!

25-Jan-23

Doug Kuntz from Ontario
Doug Kuntz from Ontario
Packing out on a hot September day!
Packing out on a hot September day!
Doug and wis wife Victoria Kuntz booked a rifle elk hunt a couple of years before and they were really looking forward to it. Many Eastern Canadians have never hunted elk, often never even seen one. Canadians can’t easily just travel from one province to another to hunt so this was a big deal.

Gerard called in this nice 5 point bull and Doug made the shot count. They killed it deep in a river valley on Sept 21st. Packing out time!

Thanks Tom, Rgiesey and RK for the comments and Dennis Allman at least you got your name on the board!

25-Jan-23

Victoria Kuntz from Ontario
Victoria Kuntz from Ontario
We had an archery guy try to kill this bull with a rage broadhead and a 60 lb bow the week before, but it didn’t work out. You can see the mark right behind the shoulder, near zero penetration.
We had an archery guy try to kill this bull with a rage broadhead and a 60 lb bow the week before, but it didn’t work out. You can see the mark right behind the shoulder, near zero penetration.
Victoria with her semi-free range Bison. She didn’t get an elk and hadn’t shot many animals so getting set up and taking another one was good for her hunting resume. It was a 100 yd shot. Lots of tasty meat!

The other elk hunter in camp wounded a bull and then left the hunt a day early, he was wore out.

25-Jan-23
Looks like a perfect shot with a poor selection of equipment. I can't think of many NA animals that would offer a worse choice for a large expandable broadhead than a bison.

Lots of great animals in this thread. Congrats on another outstanding year, Mike!

25-Jan-23
I agree Scoot, poor equipment selection. I didn’t find out till after the fact. I like an expandable head for a broadside bear but not so much for a woolly furred Bison! But please let’s not turn this thread into an expandable/fixed blade debate!

Thanks too for the kind comment!

25-Jan-23
I've hunted with Mike 2 times in the last 35 yrs. very few could hold a candel to Mike.

25-Jan-23
Thanks so much Stan. Hopefully we can hunt together sometime soon!

25-Jan-23
I can't wait to make it to camp with you some day!

26-Jan-23

John Putikka from Alaska
John Putikka from Alaska
Joe Montalbano from New Jersey
Joe Montalbano from New Jersey
In the 2nd week of rifle season, Sept 23 to 29 we usually take 2 rifle elk hunters and 4 moose hunters. It’s a fun week where the elk are still rutting and the moose are just getting going. You never know when you are going to hear bugles or grunts!

John Putikka drove down from Alaska for his elk hunt and even though John was a bit limited in where he could hike he still killed a good looking 5 pointer. I believe it was his first elk but he was a very experienced moose hunter and had killed some impressive moose in his day.

Joe Montalbano also did the elk hunt and even though he was fit and a good, experienced hunter he didn’t kill. It’s really rare for us to have a physically fit, elk rifle hunter who doesn’t kill but Joe rebooked for 2024 so we must have been doing something right?! Sorry Joe!!

Thanks Jeff.Thompson love to have you do a hunt with us too!

26-Jan-23
Great thread Mike! Always enjoy your recaps. I’ve yet to hunt with you, but I consider myself blessed to have HG Ted that same country for a few years back in the early 2000’s. Amazingly rich game country.

26-Jan-23
Yeah, ki-ke, you got to hunt it during its true hey days! 2000-2006. I think we duplicated that quality this year but the mule deer numbers and trophy quality isn’t nearly as widespread as it was then. We’ve got a relatively mild winter so far so 2023 could be awesome again!

• Sitka Gear