timex 08-Jan-23
fuzzy 08-Jan-23
fuzzy 08-Jan-23
Highlife 08-Jan-23
Glunt@work 08-Jan-23
fuzzy 08-Jan-23
PushCoArcher 08-Jan-23
07-Jan-23
Today is the last day of the whitetail deer season in Virginia. It's a perfect late season hunting day. Cool, overcast, no precip, still air,, cold front on the way, plenty of hard mast on the ground. I'm sitting on the couch with the dog. Am I losing my mind/drive/urge to hunt?

07-Jan-23
Meh, it’s the last day. Not the “first day”, or the “best day”, or the “only day”. I hunt ALOT, but I take days off, sometimes I’m disappointed when I don’t get up and go. But I’m in it for enjoyment, if you enjoy sitting on the couch for the day who is to say.

—Jim

07-Jan-23
JTreemqn my thoughts exactly. I won't be on the couch all day. I'm gonna treat myself to some "chainsaw therapy" later, getting out some firewood, hinge cutting some trees for browse , and opening up travel lanes for October

07-Jan-23
Nah you’re right where you’re supposed to be fuzzy. I can relate with you as age increases and times change.

07-Jan-23
Posting jokes on the January Funnies thread that were posted 2 days prior could be an indicator that you're losing it:-)

07-Jan-23
Great day here to hunt as well. No big game tag but conditions are good for geese or could run out and hit a few coyote stands. Instead I'm hanging around waiting for the wife to get up. I'll take her to breakfast and then knock a few things of the honey-do list.

In my 20's, I rarely skipped hunting on a free morning during some season. All good.

07-Jan-23
Jethro, guilty as chatted, ??

07-Jan-23
I could go ice fishing or goose hunting today, last day or not, but decided to sleep in, make up some pancakes and eggs, then take the dog for a hike. Great thing about "choices" we have them, so make them wisely and use them often and celebrate each one like it was the last. Every day, is the prefect day for something. My best, Paul

07-Jan-23

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Paul, absolutely. Our priorities and degrees of appreciation change as we get older. Day before yesterday we went hiking and snowshoeing. Yesterday we ice fished and caught lunkers. This morning we're having coffee in front of the fire, watching birds and a moose out the window, then going to watch a basketball game of the young daughter of the man who gave us permission to hunt his land in Nebraska. Tomorrow we go to Nebraska so wife can hunt a couple deer, and we stay in a nice hotel for this hunt. Perfect days.

Like Glunt, as a pup I would have felt guilty if I wasn't out hunting hard for something, even for rabbits, on this beautiful day. Instead, I'm content to let life come to me and appreciate the gifts.

07-Jan-23
Nice to hear not everyone is a hard charger today! I'm doing a slow morning (looking at Bowsite) and waiting to watch a basketball game at 11. Was going to do an early snowshoe trek but poured another cup of coffee. Was ice fishing on Red twice this week, shot at the archery range twice, worked out at the Y 4 days, so not a complete sluff off. Now I feel better about the day!

07-Jan-23
Sitting my last sit of the season this afternoon.

07-Jan-23
December 30 I retired. Began rotating shift work in 1980. Last 32 years straight were rotating and the last 5 years or so were tough. Today I’m sitting here getting ready to cut up my last deer shot on the 31st. Never a problem to get up for hunting or fishing but some off days it feels OK to get a slower start. Will be nice to do things on my schedule from here on out.

07-Jan-23
Sure, Nick, resting up so you can run 50 miles tomorrow!

07-Jan-23
Interesting contrast between hunting and fishing, in my own case. If I’m not hunting at every possible opportunity in the fall, I feel like I’m slacking. This is ridiculous. But in the spring/summer, I fish when I feel like it, and only when I feel like it, happily.

07-Jan-23
Having our annual “Doapalooza” doe hunt, this afternoon, then I plan on hunting the last 2 evenings of the season, before it closes on the evening of the 10th.

07-Jan-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Gave the deera break this morning did some duck hunting instead.

07-Jan-23
That beav guy probably killed two deer and a swordfish already today … on one leg.

:) Enjoy the day.

07-Jan-23
I heard Zach, Beav's amazingly talented son, has already killed half of a Super Slam since New Years! :-)

07-Jan-23
Next hunt is in 12 days. Anticipation is very important to me but enjoying the present moment is all we really have. We just realize it more the older we get.

07-Jan-23
Nothing like chainsaw therapy it's good for the soul. :)

07-Jan-23
Charlie, lots of wisdom in your post, for sure.

07-Jan-23
Only half a slam? His alarm must not have gone off.

07-Jan-23
Dave I've got the MS 310 oiling properly so anytime you want to come play in the woodpile ;)

07-Jan-23
Went ice fishing yesterday. Worked around the place today. Introduced young chickens to the old hens. Nice day to get stuff done.

07-Jan-23
I was sitting in a blind before daylight with my son’s muzzleloader. I’m desperate ! Tomorrow morning the wind will be great in back of my house so that will probably be my last hunt of the season, but……I’m desperate ! :-)

07-Jan-23
Good running Husky with a sharp chain and a good splitting maul make a man feel pretty good about himself in a couple hours. Enjoy life. There is more to it than hunting!

08-Jan-23
Last day and good conditions; I think I'd be out there. I ALWAYS regret not going on days I have available to go in the late season. Still, that doesn't mean I go on all of them, but the last day means you likely have another 9 months to wait. Speaking of chainsaw, me and the 3 year old did just a bit of that yesterday. Haven't introduced the kids to the maul yet.

08-Jan-23
Forgot to mention I shot a fawn and cut it up too. There are about 15 running around in my area, so my target was mature buck or fawn. Target down to mature buck for the remaining week, but I haven't seen one in a while.

08-Jan-23
There is more to life than hunting. That said, everything happens for a reason. Maybe you should be planning your next trip. ;)

08-Jan-23
My rotator cuff surgery is this coming Wednesday, the 11th.

Yesterday was my last day to hunt until next season and I'm healed. I haven't been able to shoot my recurve for about a month or so due to the shoulder.

I took my flintlock out and it's about a half mile walk back to where I was going to hunt. The shoulder was OK when I left the house and I could shoulder the gun. It was about 30 degrees here but probably in the 20's with the wind chill. By the time I got back to where I wanted to be, I couldn't get the gun up to my shoulder. The cold is tough on it.

I just took a seat and enjoyed the last couple of hours of day light and my season. Had a nice doe and her little one from this year browsing about 30 yards from me for a good 45 minutes.

I'm glad I went out and I enjoyed my time. I wish the shoulder would've been better but it wasn't and that's the way life goes.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your seasons and all of your time outdoors whatever it is your doing.

08-Jan-23
The older I get, the less I get to hunt. It’s frustrating because the older I get, the more I want to hunt.

Life is what it is. Make the best of it.

08-Jan-23
Fuzzy your not loosing it. Unless your freezer & canned venison pantry is not full. I was done about 2 weeks ago with 12 deer. I did go horn hunting a few more days but spent yesterday (The last day) working on my boat getting ready to trailer down to oi fishing for giant bluefin tuna.

08-Jan-23
Timex that's a big part of it. All three chest freezers are full and the canned goods room shelves are full with some stuff in milk crates on the floor. Franzen thats my hunting goal as well. Mature buck or fawn

08-Jan-23
Randy that's a great idea. Lol

08-Jan-23
Cecil we sure made short work of that pile of logs lol

08-Jan-23

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Buddies and son were busy this morning. Decided to go to the goose blind anyway. Grabbed a handful of shells and put out a small spread. Should have limited but missed a few.

08-Jan-23
I envy you coastal and riparian dwellers the waterfowl option

08-Jan-23

It's a great way to spend the day.

• Sitka Gear