wyobullshooter 13-Jan-23
Z Barebow 13-Jan-23
brunse 13-Jan-23
07-Jan-23

Lost Arra's Link
Things are getting crazy in Cheyenne.

07-Jan-23

Lost Arra's Link
Scroll down to see $1258 is in addition to the existing license fee for elk. The deer and antelope increases are also wild.

07-Jan-23
286% price increase on deer and antelope!!!!

07-Jan-23
I didn’t see paragraph J. I’ll assume that the license fee in addition would be the conservation stamp and any others like elk management stamps etc.

Here it says other fees will remain the same. Does that mean the end of the proposal to increase the special elk to $2000?.

07-Jan-23
I’m probably done if I draw a general this year. I’m not paying those prices.

07-Jan-23
Their solution for point creep while still selling out tags every year.

07-Jan-23
So no more "special"?

07-Jan-23
Old school, how else you fee they should fix creep? Price may be the best way.

Willing to hear why it is or isn’t

07-Jan-23
If you read into that article the tag prices are all screwed up. It says $576 currently for a NR elk tag.

07-Jan-23
The increase to the Special has already been approved I believe it'll be $1950 for elk and deer/antelope just under a thousand. Those prices go into effect in 2024. Nothing has been decided about the regular draw yet. The article claims a NR elk tag cost $575 and deer and antelope are $288 that is not correct. Current cost for elk is $692, deer is $374, and antelope is $326.

07-Jan-23
Sasquatch - my post was just stating the facts - that’s it.

When demand far exceeds supply it affords you the opportunity to raise prices to where supply and demand is balanced - in this case balanced would be no more point creep. The other great benefit to Wyoming Game and Fish is that there are no incremental increases in overhead expense so the increase in revenue drops straight through to the bottom line dollar for dollar.

So how high do prices need to get before western big game hunting is considered a rich man’s sport for the NR? I doubt this increase puts it into the category- so what does, $5k for a NR elk tag???

07-Jan-23
To clarify, the prices listed in the article are correct. It’s not saying the license cost for elk is $576 and deer and antelope are $288. Those are the current extra fees required to enter the special draw. Deduct the $576 from the current elk special draw price of $1268 and you’ll get $692, which is the current cost for the regular draw. Deduct $288 from the current special draw price for deer and antelope and you’ll also get the current price for the regular draw. The proposed massive price increase will only apply to those electing to enter the special draw. The price for the regular draw will remain the same.

Edit: These changes HAVE NOT been approved. The bill will have to first pass through committee before it’s even voted on by the full legislature. If passed, it would then need to be signed into law by the governor.

07-Jan-23
Thanks, Rob!

07-Jan-23
Excellent explanation wyobull. Worth repeating, this has not been approved yet by the legislature.

07-Jan-23
wyobullshooter got it not well explained in the article.

07-Jan-23
I’m starting to think the state and federal government thinks the common peasants have unlimited funds.

07-Jan-23
I would rather have the option to modify my savings or Income to go hunt

Vs taking my years of my life to go hunt!

Just think of tags were free, how often you thinks you’d hunt where tags are limited?? When it takes 10 years to hunt we’d all be begging to have the option to purchase a tag

07-Jan-23
Ah yes, that time of year… :-)

07-Jan-23
Just a thought, What are the outfitters going to do if the prices go up like that and the hunters that have hunts booked. But don't want to pay that kind of price. And what their deposit back. SCREWED.

07-Jan-23
Do not worry, there will be plenty of hunters and interest, regardless of the fees.

07-Jan-23
Outfitters are one of the proponents of this increase. The Wyoming Wildlife Task Force recommended this proposal to a Wyoming Legislature Joint Committee. One member of the task force is an outfitter and Park County commissioner and another is president of the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association.

07-Jan-23
Im lucky that I am old and have 40 years of wonderful western hunts. For the young guys this will drastically change western hunting. For Wyoming to say they are just keeping pace with other states is crazy. They lead the insanity and then the rest try to keep up with them. Wealthy folks get the ability to enjoy most things normal folks don't and now the greedy states are giving them the chance to take away one of the few things we are on par with them. Licenses. The best way to combat this is to not patronize them for license and also your other vacation dollars.

07-Jan-23
Crazy.

Part of me says “Good”….I can now get a tag.

07-Jan-23
So, if I'm reading this correctly - the proposed increase is just for the "special" licenses?

The regular non-resident license will remain the same for 2024, is that correct????

08-Jan-23
So three of us are sitting on six points each for antelope. Will there be a rush to cash in? Should we cash in and quit or wait till the wave is past and pay more for a better unit?

And right now Canadians will pay a 35% premium on the exchange rate.

08-Jan-23
Well, sounds better then going 90/10 for elk & deer but that may be next?

08-Jan-23
I guess I need to franchise a Jimmy Johns…..

08-Jan-23
There are only so many animals and an unlimited # of NR hunters. States need to start charging until the demand eases. Cant wait for next weeks Kansas meeting.

08-Jan-23
The special draw is optional. And for what is turning into a OIL tag. Most people can save $1300 in 14 yrs.

If the tag does not warrant waiting that long or paying that much. Don’t do it.

I wish hunting would go back to the way it was too.

Wool Mackinaw coats. Lever action rifles. And a handful of hunters afield

But just like we now have too many cars on the road we have too many hunters wanting the same tags.

Reducing tags or raising prices is the only lever to pull. I think we can all imagine the SH!7 show if they allowed everyone to hunt any animal any time they wanted.

08-Jan-23
This is getting ridiculous.

I feel for the guy that wants to get his kids into hunting as an average blue collar worker.

08-Jan-23
How is this changing anything for the blue collar worker? This does not increase the price of a regular draw license in the slightest. As Altitude Sickness points out, it isn’t mandatory to enter the special draw, it’s optional.

08-Jan-23
@Ambush I’m sitting on 6 points as well and Im ready to cash. As you may know WY antelope have taken a hit the last few years so that maybe more pressing than price hikes but like elk, I want out.

08-Jan-23
Large portion of those “blue collars” live lavishly on new vehicles, oversized homes, and Disney vacations also

All about priorities

08-Jan-23
I still think they should just quit selling points and issue licenses based on points until there are no points and then start over. Otherwise this situation will continue to get worse with no end. But of course that nets them less money so that’ll never happen.

08-Jan-23
If I’m reading it correctly the only people this will push out is the ones that were applying for the special tags.

So point creep in theory should go down in the special but up in the regular.

08-Jan-23
Ok. So it starts with special license, then works it way down to regular license and on and on and on.

In regards to priorities, I agree with trucks boats etc etc. People can go overboard with.

I just see hunting out west getting to the point of rich man's game. I don't care what anyone says that's the way it sure seems headed.

08-Jan-23
Also kids licenses are discounted already in the regular. Groceries, gas, and everything else has gone up quite a bit this year add that in with a limited resource facing ever increasing demand and it's not that suprising. Nothing may be set in stone yet but I believe the price hike for both the special and regular are inevitable the special probably this year. Better than 90/10 also probably coming to elk, deer, and antelope in the next 5 year's. Anyone who's been point banking should really start burning them they'll only devalue with time. If the price hike in the special passes it'll be interesting to see how many it'll take to draw in 2024 it might actuallydrop in the special but it'llskyrocket in the regular. This isn't pricing out Blue collar guy's if you're deciding between paying the bills or a elk hunt your priorities are already all screwed up. It's making them have to prioritize how they spend their disposable income maybe your annual elk hunt becomes biannual real first world problems.

08-Jan-23
I’m not sure why guys are defending a government taking more of your disposable income running up the price of hunting saying it’s all about priorities… it’s apples and oranges. How a guy spends money on his home, vehicle, or family has nothing to do with government increasing revenue without a clear pathway or purpose how it’s going back to the animals.

I can afford to go even if the tags were $5k and my odds would be substantially better, doesn’t mean it’s right for them to push it that far.

08-Jan-23
Big government is what the majority of voters voted for. Bigger government means it requires more money to operate. Only GOP voters have any right to complain. The rest of you, welcome to what you voted for.

08-Jan-23
Unlike Colorado you do not need a license to buy points in Wyoming.

What’s next? Want more points? No problem. $300 each!

08-Jan-23
I would be surprised if it impacts point creep much if at all. The special draw has increased in difficulty every year. In some draws the odds aren’t much different than General despite the higher $. Obviously more people are applying and willing to pay for special tags. My guess is the new price won’t change the number of applicants much but will increase revenue for WY.

08-Jan-23
Definitely going to cause point creep to be worse in the regular draw. I think it will slight slow the rate of creep in the special, but there are still plenty of people that have that type of disposable income.

08-Jan-23
TEmbry I do agree there should be oversight on what happens to sportsmen and women's money to insure it's going back into the resource. Ideally more money would mean more animal's on the ground, the best solution of all for point creep, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that way. It be nice to see outdoorsmen/women have more power in holding state's accountable but that's not the easiest thing alone. That's why orginanizations like the RMEF, NWTF, DU, etc. are so important not only do they put more animal's on the land but also unite are voices making them more powerful. Sadly though we hunters aren't a very united tribe. I'll add Wyoming IMO does the best job of managing their resources of any state I've hunted

The demand in the special is significant. In the general now its like 1 point less then the regular if that. It's not long timers cashing in driving the special general It's guys trying to get back in line early. Now that extra almost $600 gets you a general tag one year earlier than the regular that's it.

08-Jan-23
Let’s make hunting free with the same tag numbers allotted then.

Can’t wait to see y’all praying for your once in a lifetime hunts.

You know, this is the best way for everyone to enjoy the outdoors. Once each

08-Jan-23
TEmbry X2

08-Jan-23
Colorado's wildlife budget is about to pass $200 million. Imagine how awful the hunting would be if they only had $100 million to spend.

09-Jan-23
My special elk draw tag cost 1315.00 just yesterday....Burning points !

09-Jan-23
Just applied. Hoping to burn my elk points this year.

09-Jan-23
I have always said that states have the right to do what they want to better chances for residents.But in saying that I think that those residents should get the same treatment if they travel to another state.I know it won't happen but say they travel to NM a WY resident should pay at least what a NR pays in WY.They can also stick the money that I have paid for 20 years to get moose points someplace.

09-Jan-23
Buckdeer a quality/high demand elk tag in NM is $778 more then a regular draw NR tag in Wyoming already. Also NM only gives DIY NR 6% which is less than half Wyoming's NR allocation. Non residents have had it good in Wyoming for quite awhile.

09-Jan-23
Buckdeer, with your plan, could a PA resident get an elk tag out west for $250? That's what PA charges nonresidents. That'd be great.

09-Jan-23
Unfortunately or fortunately for some states they don't have the NR that wants pay for a permit to hunt there.Wy new prices and and % will make it so anyone paying for the last 20 years for points will not have a reasonable chance of ever drawing one of the big 3.Actually a HD elk tag is $773.00 so that would make WY twice as much.

09-Jan-23
No it makes a WY special NR elk tag almost twice as much the regular WY NR elk tag is just under $700.

09-Jan-23

grasshopper's Link

09-Jan-23
i'm using elk points this year and will draw. i planned to do this without this recent announcement but, i'm out for good after this. i have some deer and antelope pp's that are going to be used soon too. good luck to you folks, it is well past priorities.

13-Jan-23
Died on introduction

13-Jan-23
Bob,

Died on introduction to the legislature?

13-Jan-23
Bowfreak, it failed in committee of the whole (COW). The vote was 10 Ayes, 20 Nays, with 1 excused. You can follow any proposed legislation in the 2nd link Lost Arra provided.

13-Jan-23
Thanks for update Bob and Rob.

I might be (am) jaded. My job has required involvement with our state legislature once in a while. I have learned to not get too vested/concerned with any committee level bill/proposal. What you see in initial bill, does not look the same. (IF it gets out of committee) as when it is presented to a chamber. I have testified for certain bills, thinking we were good. In the 11th hour, a legislator slips something in from left field. (Something never discussed!) That 11the hour item can be a “poison pill”, dooming a bill which would otherwise had received significant support. I am not saying don’t contact legislators. But don’t get too fixated on initial language.

There is a reason we call the convening of the legislature, the beginning of the “silly season “.

13-Jan-23
Who would pay $2000 to renew their drivers license? We no e we oils not? Why?

• Sitka Gear