Beendare 10-Jan-23
fuzzy 10-Jan-23
Candor 10-Jan-23
scentman 10-Jan-23
Kingntuff 10-Jan-23
krieger 11-Jan-23
Bake 11-Jan-23
09-Jan-23
I’m just wondering if I should be bragging to my wife about the thousands of dollars of knives that I own and how much they have appreciated in the last six months? Probably not a good idea, eh? Grin

Have you seen the price of good quality knives lately? It looks like the increase in the last 6-12 mo is 40%+

So much for 8% inflation….

09-Jan-23
Rhetorical question, I hope??

09-Jan-23
Some of those good S90v knives by Benchmade are up to $235+…crazy

09-Jan-23
I have told my wife for years that my sizable gun collection is an investment. She's finally starting to believe me.

09-Jan-23
I make and sell knives for a living and my cost of blade steel alone has gone up 35% in the last year. All that said I am a one man show and don’t have the rising costs to employ people and I don’t have large machines (Cnc type) to maintain. All that said… I always avoid discussing the costs of all my hunting gear and such with the Mrs… seems it never benefits me much. Lol

09-Jan-23
The appreciation is only realized upon sale. Just expense at this point. Don’t tell her. When do you plan to monetize the asset

09-Jan-23
No.

09-Jan-23
I learn so much from this site... great hunting tips, savory game recipes, gold, silver and knives for precious metal investments! My brother is a knife guy, I ask if I can buy or borrow one... you think I was asking for his kid or something. ;0)

09-Jan-23
I make and sell knives. Everything associated with the process has gone up big time. Sandpaper, grinding belts, steel, components, pins, handle material and scales etc. Even leather, dyes and related stuff for sheaths has gone up. Im glad I never make much from them, more of a hobby until I retire, I would have to raise prices big time to make ends meet.

09-Jan-23
My wife has more expensive hunting gear than I do. I just have more of it.

09-Jan-23
Bruce.... my biggest fear when I die is Coach sells my guns and knives for what I told her I paid for them......

10-Jan-23
"Have you seen the price of good quality knives lately? It looks like the increase in the last 6-12 mo is 40%+"

You must be referring to new in which case it's like everything else, the cost of labor and materials has gone up.

I am not seeing that price increase with used knives, with a few exceptions for rare knives. The used knife market is more flooded than it's ever been.

i've even seen some ammo prices have started to come down. seems like the craziness might be over, for now.

10-Jan-23
Ammo prices jumped about 50% at walmart, but there is a bunch on the shelves. Not sure we'll see prices on loaded ammo or components come down any time soon.

Older guns are doing well. Looked at what a few of mine would cost to replace on Guns.com and *wow* I did not expect that!

10-Jan-23
I'd be willing to wager that you wouldn't have to brag to your wife about the dollar value wrapped up in your knife collection because she probably already has a pretty good idea.

I'd also be willing to bet that most wives are more in tune financially on what we spend in our outdoor pursuits than what they are given credit for sometimes.

I'm lucky enough to have married a woman that doesn't bust my balls about spending money on hunting and fishing gear but I also spend within our budget.

I don't drink at bars, do drugs, ride Harleys anymore or chase after women. I just like to hunt, fish and chase after my wife. Sometimes she even lets me catch her.

Anyhow, enjoy your knife collection!

10-Jan-23
My wife is too sharp for that. I was lucky enough to buy land before the big jump in price recently and told her how it was the best investment we ever made. She responded in less than a second and said "that only matters if you sell it hun. And we both know you're never selling hunting land."

Touche.

10-Jan-23
Well I guess my post was too non-PC. Oh well! Lol

10-Jan-23
Mines asked me to price my guns out for her. Said something about when I'm gone doesn't want to get ripped off. No worries about it she seems very happy with me always smiling when she gets me coffee.

10-Jan-23

10-Jan-23
Regarding ammo. When I started working "for a wage" Virginia minimum wage was $3.15/ hour. .30-06 ammo was $0.35 per round. That's 9 shots per hour Now minimum wage is $12/hour and .30-06 is about $1.30 a round or 9 shots per hour.

10-Jan-23
I tell my wife that I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs. I don’t gamble and I don’t beat my wife … yet.

Seriously tho - she encourages me to do/spend more. I’m the one that holds back. Whether it’s money or my time - she is completely unselfish.

If this is an issue in your house - at least one of you married the wrong person.

10-Jan-23
Havalon replacement blades in bulk 50 have gone from ~$50 to ~$90 over the past year

10-Jan-23
Fuzzy - please re-post. Non pc is the best … melt a couple snowflakes.

10-Jan-23
Many of those hand bags in her closet are appreciating as well.

10-Jan-23
My wife is extremely unconcerned about what my guns and knives might be worth. I think she was a bit surprised a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned what land is selling for and what we could get for ours. She'd be the first to say "not for sale" to any of it, she knows everything will go to our kids. But, I'm also smart enough not to poke the bear to attract any undue attention. And I always encourage her to buy that new purse or outfit she may want.

10-Jan-23
Never brag.

Always keep a couple of BB guns in the gun case, so that when you buy a new gun it doesn't look out of place.

Same applies to knives. Always keep some cheap ones taking up space, so that when that space is filled with a new high dollar one it doesn't raise questions.

10-Jan-23
I don't want my wife to know what my collection of Randall knives is worth. If she did, she'd probably sell them and use the money to remodel the kitchen.

Matt

10-Jan-23
I knew I could count on this crowd for same boat sympathy….and some funny comments.

10-Jan-23

10-Jan-23
My wife is usually pretty good about the stuff I buy. The one purchase she WAS a little miffed about, was when I bought a 114 acre farm without conferring with her first.

10-Jan-23
T-roy, you topped my best one. I bought a 30' RV and a fishing boat without discussing it with my wife. I've generally found it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. ;-)

Matt

10-Jan-23
My wife's brothers all Owen modified stock cars. The First time she ever said anything about my hunt , I said fine we will Just buy a stock car. That was 35 years ago never says a word about spending since.

10-Jan-23
Oh man cars and racing….talk about a money pit.

One contractor friend dumped everything he had in racing those stock cars- its an addiction.

Another family Friend has their own Lemans race team…luckily they did really well and picked up some big sponsors like Honda….otherwise its millions out of pocket.

Some hunt gear is nuthin compared to that… .

10-Jan-23
My guess is; some of you guys with farms and ranches can get them to pay for themselves….or not?

10-Jan-23
WhatheFOC if the moderating PTBs saw fit to remove it, there's no point in re posting. I'd either get a hand slap or the ban-hammer.

10-Jan-23
Eggs are ridiculous right now. Probably were a better investment than knives, land or most anything in the past year.

10-Jan-23
Yes sir, chicken futures look promising.

10-Jan-23
Crowds are gone! Who are the wives going to market it to? Im not old! My wife will have a hard time finding buyers for my collection of ammo guns bows knives sure the boys mite save some for fun. Sad truth we are the only ones still enjoying our past. There is not much of a present for our items we dearly love!

11-Jan-23
I've noticed while prices have climbed, not much is selling online, at the forums I watch anyway. Only select items. The best cure for high prices, is high prices..

But we are selling eggs like no tomorrow these days ! Folks that turned up their nose at 2.50/dozen for free range/organic eggs, now are beating our door down...heh heh.

11-Jan-23
I know she's only 9, but so far my daughter is like me, she really likes the shiny knives and guns. I don't think she'll sell. But she hates to read. I bet my book collection will be in trouble :)

• Sitka Gear