Mule Power 12-Jan-23
BULELK1 15-Jan-23
Tracker 15-Jan-23
Mule Power 15-Jan-23
tkjwonta 16-Jan-23
Mule Power 16-Jan-23
BULELK1 16-Jan-23
11-Jan-23
Anyone archery hunt this unit. Am seriously considering drawing this unit next fall and was wondering how the archery hunt is for this area. I am more interested in the non -j=high country hunt. Any info would be appreciated. PM if you feel uncomfortable posting in the open. Thanks

12-Jan-23
The guys that hunted with the outfitter I used in Region G got their butts handed to them. It was hot, smoky, and the moon was full. We went 3 for 3 in our camp for the rifle opener though.

12-Jan-23
G is a region not a unit. It is made up of multiple units.

The first question is what caliber of buck are you looking for? If you want big bucks you’ll have to hunt high country. The mule deer spend their time higher than the elk. In the lower elevations there really aren’t that many deer at all. But if you do your homework and look over some maps you can find roads that will get you up high.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the majority of the truly high country there is above timberline. Those bucks perch on top where they can see hear and smell everything. Archery is doable but you’ll have to be sneaky and careful to get within bow range. With a little luck I hope to be deer hunting there this September myself. Good luck!

12-Jan-23
I can't speak for the non high country but I tagged along on a backpack hunt a few years ago. Finding water was a major challenge.

12-Jan-23
SBH absolutely! I find it to be scarce in that entire area above 7500 feet. A high country water source would be a gold mine to locate deer.

12-Jan-23
That's some big ass country and it's beautiful. I've seen lots of small deer in the lower elevations while hunting elk. One year, I did see a big one and it was a giant. All by himself. I wouldn't burn points for an archery hunt in that high country for deer unless I was able to scout all summer long.

12-Jan-23
Midwest I agree with that. If you’re going to connect with a bow you can’t start at ground zero on day one of the hunt.

I’m looking for big bucks only. 180+. I waited 10 years for the license. It’s HUGE country and up on the very tops of the main ridges and peaks it’s wide open. For that reason I’ll be carrying a rifle capable of long bombs. At my age and with the the way licenses and point creep is going I’ll never get to hunt there again. I want to do the tag justice. And this is coming from someone who knows that area very very well and has friends who live and guide there. In all honesty I think it’s extremely low offs to kill one of the upper class bucks with a bot there. You need luck just to locate one.

15-Jan-23
Tony, I responded to ya over on your M&M thread.

I think they will be just fine @ their ages in the 70's.

I got my biggest Muley out of a G unit.

I've hunted Any Elk or an overlap G elk unit Reduced Price cow/calf, like 15 out of the last 17 years.

Some years I see a few bucks' other years I see a couple gagger bucks and this is all from starting out at the bottom each day, no big backpack in or using my llama packstring back when I had them.

Draw the tag and you are welcome to reach out to me,

Robb

15-Jan-23
I have plenty of points to draw a Region G tag. My plan is to hunt archery for a couple weeks then return for the rifle season if unsuccessful. I have a couple friends that may or may not join me. If so they will be limited to lower elevation.

15-Jan-23
Tracker region G deer season doesn’t have separate bow and gun seasons. Only one season there.

How many points do you have? I have 9 so I’m a little concerned about drawing. If you have at least 11 help a brother out! An average of 10 will guarantee a license.

16-Jan-23
Although there is not a separate archery draw (Type 9) for region G, if you pay for the archery stamp you can start hunting Sept 1st. Then can hunt rifle season starting on Sept 15th or Oct 1st depending on which unit you are in region G.

16-Jan-23
Thanks… did not know that.

16-Jan-23
Let me answer the guys that reach out to me this way.

I've hunted from Alpine/Greys River south to LaBarge and to the west around Cokeville and back up along the Idaho/Wyo border in G units overlapped by Gen Elk units, over the last 14-15 years.

I've seen bucks all around and even some Gagger bucks down low, on public.

If ya draw the tag, I don't think you can go wrong with such a long season and multiple units to hunt.

---- True That 'tkjwonta' on the bow only dates----->

If a guy/gal bow hunted the last week of bow dates and then if not successful pulled out the Rifle for the Rifle opening week, not a bad plan for two weeks of hunting! Depending on the unit ya choose.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear