Jaquomo 19-Jan-23
MichaelArnette 19-Jan-23
Jaquomo 19-Jan-23
MichaelArnette 19-Jan-23
Swampbuck 20-Jan-23
Zbone 21-Jan-23
ILbowhntr 22-Jan-23
17-Jan-23
I shoot traditional with big Snuffers but getting old and considering going with my ILF setup of lighter limbs than all my 50+# longbows and recurves, and maybe going with a smaller more modern head in the future... If Muzzy only (won't consider other heads) and only 3-blade, not 2 or 4, which 3-blade the regular 3-blade or the shorter MX-3 of what weight for a lightweight 40# bow?... Thanks

What about the 225-DX3-3, 100 Grain, read where the don't use the standard 8x32 thread...

17-Jan-23
I killed a bunch of elk and deer (plus some random stuff like caribou and bear) with the original 125 three blade, with low-mid 50# longbows and recurves. I haven't shot any of the "Rage Muzzys" but the originals spun-tested very consistently and shot great for me.

17-Jan-23
Dropping to 40 I would want a coc. Head not a chisel head . I would try putting everything you can in your favor of good penatration. if muzzy look at one are merc.

18-Jan-23
Muzzy isn't a chisel head, it has a trocar style tip. Not the same thing. Any time you want to test the penetration ability screw a new one on an arrow shaft, hold it point down over your barefoot and drop it from waist level. That will remove all doubt.

The guy who designed the Muzzy knew a little about recurves and longbows.

18-Jan-23
I'd look at the regulars (little longer ferrule) of whatever weight they offer that tunes best for you. Used them out of my Grizzly (55 @ 28) with good luck. My new ILF setup (45@28) has much better efficiency and I wouldn't hesitate to use them out of this new set up.

Jaq definitely has more experience than my current trad sample pool of two deer 11-12 years ago. But the KE & ME of these two setups are very, very similar.

18-Jan-23
Sharpen the trocar tips on a stone and they become "COC". John Sr. designed this style of head after getting poor penetration on a Cape Buff hunt. Not sure what head he was using before, never thought to ask him.

19-Jan-23
Thanks for all your inputs, and thanks Cliff for the offer... I ordered a 4-pack of the Muzzy 100 grain, 3-blade, model 225 yesterday... Couldn't beat the price for under $22 shipped to the house included in the package is a wrench and practice blades... With the price today of broadheads I thought that was very reasonable...

I debated the 125 grain weight and the shorter MX models, but figured since I use adjustable weight inserts, I could always add weight but can't remove it, so chose the 100 grain, and passed on the MX-3s because not wanting the wider cutting diameter for a light weight bow...

I have 3 ILF risers all of different lengths but only one set of ILF 40# limbs at present so don't really know what true poundage they'll scale at, but likely use the 19" Chinese Satori knock off....

Have hunted with COC heads since the 1980's so this will be the first time using pierce points in years and reason I chose the Muzzys and their trocar tips over other brand because of their great reputation with the traditional crowd...

Jaquomo - Will look into "Sharpen the trocar tips on a stone and they become "COC""

Thanks again folks...

19-Jan-23
Your new setup will do great. A lot of people discuss penetration and a COC head being the better choice. I disagree because those needle tips will curl everytine you hit something hard. A curled tip means penetration suffered drastically. You aren’t going to bend the tip on a muzzy.

19-Jan-23
His son is making his Dad's originals. Look it up. Better than what is being made now since they were sold.

19-Jan-23

Jaquomo's Link
Here's the link to John Jr.'s "reintroduced" heads. John Jr. was a super stickler when it came to quality control at Muzzy. He once rejected a whole run of blades because he didn't like the sharpness, then switched to German steel at higher cost. He sent me a couple hundred of the reject blades, and after a touch-up I probably killed 25 animals with them.

I have no doubt the Musacchia heads are better than the Rage Muzzys.

19-Jan-23
Long time tradition we bowhunter and for several years I used the Muzzy 4 blade phantom on about 6-8 whitetials. I had great results with them. Have never use the trochar tip 3 blades but I suspect they are lacking in penetration capability but will do the job on a whitetials

19-Jan-23
What makes you think they are lacking in penetration capability if you've never used one? What have you shot with them? Typical internet response. No experience needed to be an expert on a topic. Sheesh.

My partner and I have killed at least four dozen elk with the 3 and 4 blade Muzzys from longbows and recurves, with the trocar tips sharpened to COC, and never had any penetration issues. I shot through the scapula of a bull from a treestand and killed him in sight with a 4 blade Muzzy from a Bighorn recurve.

19-Jan-23
Long time tradition we bowhunter and for several years I used the Muzzy 4 blade phantom on about 6-8 whitetials. I had great results with them. Have never use the trochar tip 3 blades but I suspect they are lacking in penetration capability but will do the job on a whitetials

20-Jan-23
Musacchia broadheads. Look it up try um out. Great head if you like the original muzzy

21-Jan-23
Received my 4-pack yesterday... They are a little tricky to assemble, thank goodness for youtube...

22-Jan-23
Used to shoot the 100 grain 3 blade. They took over a dozen deer, a bear and every animal I shot in Africa. Nothing went over 40 yards. Flew great and penetration was never an issue with a 70# compound.

Still have a dozen or so laying around. Just don’t like the new blades and John says his blades won’t fit the old heads.

• Sitka Gear