SaddleReaper 09-Mar-23
SaddleReaper 09-Mar-23
t-roy 09-Mar-23
Zbone 09-Mar-23
midwest 09-Mar-23
20-Jan-23

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Stole the pic from iowa whitetails. Gross 215 and nets 195 and change. Number 10 all time pope and young. Story is supposed to drop soon. Buck will be at iowa deer classic. That's all the info I have on it.

20-Jan-23
Waiting for the first. “ nice buck but I don’t see 215” comment.

20-Jan-23
Yup Bou, 3 2 1 .......

20-Jan-23
I think I see more than 215"!

20-Jan-23
Nice buck but I don’t see 215”.

There ya go Bou :)

20-Jan-23
Wow!

That's a dandy!

20-Jan-23
I wouldn't know a 215" buck if it poked me in the ass!!! That's a great one! Congratulations to the hunter.

20-Jan-23
Maybe 115" ;)

20-Jan-23
Sure don’t grow em like they used to…

:)

20-Jan-23
I was impressed till I scrolled down and saw the hat

20-Jan-23
Im having a hard time seeing 20” of deductions!

Heck of a whitetail.

20-Jan-23
That thing is awesome. I dont care what it scores. Its a giant.

21-Jan-23
Looks easily 215 and as far as deductions I see 20"s easily. Great deer!!

21-Jan-23
I don’t know (or care) about how many inches, but that’s a beauty!

21-Jan-23
Rompola-esque, don’t ya think?

21-Jan-23
Who cares about the antlers, look at the body size of that beast

29-Jan-23
Anybody have any idea what County this came out of?

29-Jan-23
If was the Bowmar guy he would’ve passed it up:)

29-Jan-23
Ida county

29-Jan-23
I got some of the details from one of the guys at the archery shop in the Des Moines area, who said he sold this guy a bow. Supposedly, the buck was killed just SW of Des Moines, on some land that the guy, who had recently moved up here from Florida, had bought within the last few years. My understanding is, his property butts up to a big rock quarry or something similar, that is off limits to hunting. Several other guys were supposedly after the buck, as well. This is all second hand information, so take it at that.

Incredible buck, for sure! Hopefully it’s displayed at the deer classic. Would love to see it in person.

29-Jan-23
Helluva buck, no matter the score !

29-Jan-23
Thanks guys, it is a heck of a deer.

08-Mar-23
Since the Iowa Deer Classic is over.....any updates on this deer?

08-Mar-23
Jeff….I stopped in at the Deer Classic on Sunday afternoon, for the last couple hours of the show. I walked down past the big buck contest and displays, but didn’t see it there. That was around 3:30 and a lot of the entries were already being taken down, so I don’t know if it made it there or not.

08-Mar-23
Number 10? Isn't the typical world record Milo Hansens 213?

08-Mar-23
The final numbers are 215-6 gross, 195-5 net typical. The new #2 typical for IA archery.

08-Mar-23
Where are you seeing that, Saddle? I can’t find anything on it.

08-Mar-23
not enough coffee yet i guess i didn't see the 195

08-Mar-23
Hancock- it’s gonna be the #10 in pope and young, milo was a gun kill

08-Mar-23
Nice buck. Wish the gentleman would have taken some pictures during the daytime, as those provided likely don't do the deer justice.

08-Mar-23
Sorry I didn’t get any better pictures, mount will be done in a couple months and y’all are welcome to come to Florida and see it. Thanks for the kind words

08-Mar-23
Man - what a deer. Thing must have 30+ inch beams.

08-Mar-23
That deer needed one more year to really be something…..

08-Mar-23
Congratulations, great deer

08-Mar-23
Classic line Jeff.

09-Mar-23

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
Cameron Coble (B&C scorer in IA) posted the numbers on his facebook - I'm not sure if he scored it. Beams were 30-4, 30-6. 23-3 inside. Those are the only numbers I've seen. Not sure if a score sheet has been put out there. The nighttime grip n grin that went around doesn't fully do it justice, but video does. I hope the hunter had some professional photos taken.

In the pics screen grabs from video I will post here, Cam mentions the sticker on his left base in front of the brow kept it from the #1 IA all-time typical spot (since it counts as a deduct from the overall typical score).

I had a thought that made me chuckle inside... Years ago I was part of a deer drive on the farm I hunt, and one fella shot what he thought was a doe. Turns out it was a spike- with legal spikes (over 3") so under regulations it was to be considered a buck and tagged as such. As they stood there looking over it, the shooter said to his son "go get the antler eraser out of the truck" ..... he came back with a 10lb sledge. I about died laughing. You know how that ended.

Which leads me to a thought provoking pondering..... what if the shooter had nocked a point off before official scoring in effort to boost its net standing..... who'd be able to say otherwise that it wasn't a natural break? If the deer had broken it off that's okay!

On another note there was a , shall we say, "suspect" looking buck brought to the classic that has a lot of "farm-like" attributes. Yet the scorers scored and entered it as they would any other (It won a blue ribbon). No proof of legitimacy is required apparently... and good luck proving anything anyways. A kid shot it too, so nobody is gonna break a kids balls. What if it isn't legit and knocks a few down in the record books? Should it be questioned then? ....er maybe it only matters when it comes to top spots with monetary-gain potential.

09-Mar-23

The "suspect" looking buck entered at the classic.

09-Mar-23
Thanks Saddle. Wish that I would have gotten to see it in person.

As per your pondering….seems there was a guy here in Iowa, years ago, that got his tit in a ringer for doing just what you described. From what I remember, he was accused of breaking off a point/points to increase the net score on a whitetail. What was odd about it, was, that it wasn’t even a deer that he had shot. This was clear back in the 70s.

09-Mar-23
Impressive animals...

09-Mar-23
Wowzer!

• Sitka Gear