Tracker 22-Jan-23
nchunter 22-Jan-23
hawkeye in PA 22-Jan-23
Grey Ghost 23-Jan-23
LBshooter 23-Jan-23
PoudreCanyon 23-Jan-23
PECO2 24-Jan-23
22-Jan-23
With deer season gone here I am relegated to ducks in the morning and doves in the afternoon. One of the things that has always been frustrating to us is that, in the early season, we need ~200 birds using our field to have a good shoot. In the late season we only have a few of us that shoot, but we can have 140 birds using the field but they come in in 2 or 3 very large droves and you do not kill a large enough fraction of the birds using the field.

I hunted with a guy last year on a different field that used a dove call. I am 51 and have been shooting the little gray rockets for over 40 years and candidly I scoffed at it. By the end of the afternoon I was a believer.

Fast forward to this year, I took my new dove call hunting yesterday. It was a resounding success. By using it every few minutes we had the birds tricking into the field 2 to 8 at a time rather than them staging around the field and flying into in a large drove that you shoot into and if they pass 3 guns you may kill 4 or 5 out of it.

I post all this to say, it added a new dimension to the hunt and was resoundingly impactful. You do not blow the call and zzzzzinnng they come to you on a string. Instead, you blow it and a few minutes later a couple birds will venture out of the surrounding woods and circle the field. It was a reliable enough pattern that it left me with very little doubt as to the effectiveness of the call.

22-Jan-23
I absolutely love dove hunting! Never knew they made a call. I'm very intrigued! Do you have a link to a seller?

22-Jan-23
This is the one I bought and like - I think the wood makes a good sound. https://www.faulkcalls.com/product-page/dove-call

22-Jan-23

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Never used a call just me and my trusty retriever.

22-Jan-23
I love dove hunting. I hunt them in Ks and usually just early Sept. Most years by mid Sept, they’ve flown south. We hunt them over food plots and waterholes, usually with a mojo and a few clip on decoys on a fence if possible. This past Sept was one of the best for us, after several poor years. Never tried calling them.

22-Jan-23
Missouri’s season is sadly only in the early fall, unfortunate because they’re usually everywhere while duck hunting

22-Jan-23
We have invasive Eurasian doves year-round. No limit no license required only a hunter ed card. Haven't ran into big numbers but we always have a few around.

22-Jan-23
Considered song birds in CT, no season. But, just next door in RI there's a season. But I haven't hunted RI in 20 years even though it's a mile away.

22-Jan-23

Dollar's embedded Photo
Dollar's embedded Photo
Love our dove hunts here in Florida.This was just a couple weeks ago.

22-Jan-23
Where you dove hunting in JAN. AZ?

22-Jan-23
I can make a dove call with my hands. Sounds just like a dove. In the spring I would sit on my deck with my daughters and I could call doves to within feet of us until they couldn't sit still any longer. During doves hunts I will be seated a half hour before light and you can hear the waking doves calling. Then I start and a good portion of the time they will head my way. I have seen doves calls on Amazon that the reviewers swear by.

22-Jan-23
Been years since I've been dove hunting. Never new they made a call either, thanks for posting.

23-Jan-23
The juice was never worth the squeeze for me, mostly because I couldn't hit the little bastards. My shell costs per bird killed made them some of the most expensive meat I've ever eaten. ;-)

Matt

23-Jan-23
Love dove hunting,and I would bring out my 410 and lots of shells.huntng wth a 410 makes you pick your shots rather then just blasting with the 12 ga. Here in Illinois the first couple of days is best than its done.

23-Jan-23

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
I absolutely love to hunt and eat dove. Unfortunately here in Colorado we typically only get a couple of weeks of good hunting in early September before the birds all migrate out in front of the first cold snap, but I have a group of friends that gathers every year in Eastern Colorado for the opener. Like Glunt said, Eurasian collared doves are unprotected with no season and no limit, but they tend to hang around the city limits and rarely can you find a concentration where we hunt. I’m envious of those of you who are still hunting them now - I never get my fill in our short season. They’re delicious too! Poudre

24-Jan-23
I dove hunted for the first time 2 seasons ago. I thought I was pretty good with the old shotgun, until I started shooting at doves. We used decoys, I will talk to my hunting friend about calls and try one next season. Thanks in advance for the info.

• Sitka Gear