Ollie 23-Jan-23
Genesis 23-Jan-23
TREESTANDWOLF 24-Jan-23
welka 24-Jan-23
drycreek 24-Jan-23
Mark Watkins 25-Jan-23
APauls 25-Jan-23
22-Jan-23
I have tried a bunch of methods (coyote call, dog barks, wounded cottontail, etc) to get deer off your plots in the evening when it's time to leave. Sitting until pitch black seems to be the most effective at not turning the plot nocturntal, but sometimes can't wait that long! Any tricks that work for others?

22-Jan-23

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Here's my 2022 brassica and Soybean plot as seen from a redneck blind. You can see the egyptian wheat screen that I use to access from the east or west.
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Here's my 2022 brassica and Soybean plot as seen from a redneck blind. You can see the egyptian wheat screen that I use to access from the east or west.
Entering and Exiting plots is my single biggest dilemma while hunting. Far more than wind. The problem I have with my ohio property is there so many deer that they create a chain reaction and can blow 2,3 fields out if they run the wrong way. It's maddening.

Good thing is that it only happens once during a hunt. Getting in during a morning hunt, or getting out in an evening hunt. I've basically given up morning hunts on plots.

For getting out in the evening I have tried everything possible. When I'm hunting inside a blind, I make an unnatural noise that puts the deer on notice, like knocking on the window - and generally they nervously walk off the plot. This seems to be the best. Coyote calls freak them out - tried that and won't do that again. Just climbing down freaks them out and they will start blowing. I've even tried blowing at them, it was not a good idea.

I know guys will say don't hunt on the food plots themselves, and that's a great way to slip in and out undetected, and also a great way to limit your opportunities. I learn nothing by sitting a hundred yards from a food plot, so my preference is to be on the edge of the plot.

There are designs you can create if you are able to alter the land. Planting screenings like Egyptian Wheat, or using cornrows to enter and exit are good options. I am using more and more screens to get in and out of the stands. You can also make your plots wavy, with pinch points and design them for the best access.

During the rut, I just hunt the timber between food plots, but early and late season food sources that's not as effective.

Good luck.

22-Jan-23
If you can have someone come get you with some sort of vehicle. It will get them off the plot and have no idea you were there. They will come right back after you leave

22-Jan-23
Sean, that is the best if you have someone there to help. Good point. Unfortunately not an option for me hunting solo.

22-Jan-23
I've tied my pack on my bow rope and "bounced" the pack off the ground at the base of my tree. It spooks the deer away from the immediate area, without making them aware of the hunter in the tree above.

22-Jan-23
I’ve used the vehicle option several times when I was able to, but mostly I’ll try to just sit until it’s dark and then try to slip out. It’s a little easier if you hunt from the ground as I have cover behind me at most of my stands. The later in the year it gets though, the easier it is for them to see me leave. I use to use the Egyptian wheat when I had my other place but it’s not an option where I hunt now, not enough room and still have a plot.

22-Jan-23
The vehicle option seems to be the best one, but I haven’t had any issues with coyote howling making them shy away from the plots the following day/days. They hear coyotes every day of the year.

22-Jan-23
Without a doubt using a vehicle is best. My dad lives a mile and a half from my best stand and my brother is only half a mile. It’s pretty rare I ever crawl out of stand without a pickup right underneath me. Using the correct wind while sitting and a truck for exiting I can hunt my best spot day after day if needs be. Deer rarely get down wind of me do to structure and a creek, so it pays.

We use the same technique at my dads place. We have one GOOD spot to sit, BUT you have to have a truck drop you off and pick you up. If you don’t follow the plan deer catch on quick and it’s over. We go as far as plowing out the snow to be able to drive down there.

22-Jan-23
If it's legal just stash a remote control monster truck near your stand. After legal hours whip out the remote and zoom zoom. Deer are gone, now just walk out. You guys are over thinking this.

22-Jan-23
I have found hunting back in the woods is much easier. And have seen many nice deer hang up 20 to 50 yards in the timber tell dark.

22-Jan-23
I just have my buddy drive into food plot with lights on they just walk off.

22-Jan-23
Use a drone...8^)

22-Jan-23
I quit hunting plots yrs ago due to turning deer nocturnal. Now I hunt the trails between bedding and food. See way more deer though the season than I used to.

22-Jan-23
When I can’t have someone drive into the field, I put an electronic predator call 30 yards from my stand. When I want to leave, I play some coyote howls and barks. That clears the field.

22-Jan-23
Getting out of a stand overlooking an evening food source has got to be toughest part of it. I can imagine hunting over a food plot that has had a nice buck using it. Then, on an evening that he doesn't show, spooking the deer off the plot and getting down - only to have the target buck watching from the safety of the woods. Good luck figuring out a way that works for your situation.

23-Jan-23
Make like a fat coon and start thrashing around in the tree.

23-Jan-23
Predator rabbit squealer call after dark. Lightweight, fits right in you pocket or pack.

They know the sound, they don’t like it, and they leave.

They will be back.

If you can do it, Pat’s idea above is optimum.

23-Jan-23
I saw Bill Winke mention that he uses a drone (with a disclaimer that the IDNR said it was OK), which still surprised me. I think that toes a fine line between wildlife harassment and not, sending a flying electronic device out the blind window to bump them. I'm sure it works great though.

I have some buddies that are big into thermal hunting that say bringing a thermal scanner/ monocular with them has change the game for entry and exit in the dark. But that wouldn't solve the problem of a loaded food plot when you want to climb down. Still have to wait them out, but at least you could see well after dark.

23-Jan-23
We use the vehicle method after dark in PA. If someone has a bunch of deer we’ll ride by their field on the quad to spook em away then they can climb out and get to their ride or walk out. Seems to work fairly well. But like pat said, if we just walk out sometimes they’ll blow out 3-4 fields if the run the wrong direction.

23-Jan-23
I like to position my stand so that the deer walk by on the way to majority of the food. If you have cover, clear trial, and 100 yards from The deer, they seem to not Spook too bad

23-Jan-23
Tunnel...LOL

23-Jan-23
For entry/exit in the dark, a set of quality night vision goggles may be a good investment. Cheap night goggles are completely worthless. Law enforcement grade goggles are nothing short of amazing. You can see a rabbit in clover at 200 yards just from starlight or a little moonlight.

23-Jan-23
I've used an air horn with varied success when hunting solo

24-Jan-23
Predator rabbit squealer call after dark. Lightweight, fits right in you pocket or pack.

They know the sound, they don’t like it, and they leave.

They will be back.

If you can do it, Pat’s idea above is optimum.

24-Jan-23
Like the rabbit squealer option and also going to try some hog sounds off of my predator call. Further south the deer run when they see or hear hogs coming. Will let you know if it works. Thanks for the ideas.

24-Jan-23
welka that’s a great idea and would surely work where I hunt.

25-Jan-23
We drop off and pick up all hunters at the bottom of the stand...An electric golf cart at a slow speed (4-5 mph) has been a game changer.

The deer see it but because of its slow movement, they flick their tails and slowly hop off rather than scared to death.

Howling has also worked as a backup plan as well.

Mark

25-Jan-23
I've just used the coyote howl when I can't sneak out. Sometimes that doesn't even scare them off a field. If that doesn't work I wait until it's black out.

This year I got pics of a lone coyote attacking a buck on my winter feed this year. Took a chunk out of him and he's bleeding down the leg. Still came back 2 hours later. If that's what they do when losing a chunk of leg, I can't imagine a howl deters them too long.

• Sitka Gear