WV Mountaineer 27-Jan-23
Will 27-Jan-23
deerhunter72 27-Jan-23
fubar racin 27-Jan-23
greenmountain 27-Jan-23
APauls 27-Jan-23
SlipShot 27-Jan-23
22-Jan-23
I am part of a volunteer fire department in Wisconsin. Recently we were called out for two young children that had run away from home. The area I live is a small community surrounded by large chunks of forest.

With the temp being in the low 20's and falling to low teens at night a search party was assembled consisting of law enforcement, fire departments and community volunteers. The thought was the kids headed to the forest, the parents noticed some camping gear missing (blankets, a tarp, canned food).

This search was taking place in late October during prime bowhunting, the areas we were searching consisted of large tracks of private land. We had all volunteers get on line and basically do a deer drive through the woods looking for signs of the kids.

We came across a lot of deer stands and trail cams, even a few guys out hunting. During this time we kicked up a lot of nice bucks on certain properties.

I asked the questions before the search if we needed to get permission from the land owner before walking through their land, the law enforcement directing the search insisted we didn't need permission, we just couldn't enter a dwelling without permission.

Long story short the kids were located on the 2nd day without harm. My question for everyone is how would you feel if while hunting your private land a group of strangers came walking on line through your woods?

It should be noted as far as I am aware no hunters became disgruntled during this search, everyone we came across offered their help, it was just a unique situation I guess.

22-Jan-23
I'd stop hunting and help search. Priorities.

22-Jan-23
Something that surprised me was not needing permission to walk through private land. I understand with the weather conditions and it being kids missing it was a dire situation. I wouldn't have an issue if it were my land, I was a bit nervous though while walking that I would come across a hunter that was not pleased to see us.

22-Jan-23
From your description of young children and extreme cold, the dire situation demanded emergency action. However, had anything of a criminal nature been discovered, it's admissiveness in court could have been called into question. Save a life is the obvious priority.

"for charity(love) shall cover the multitude of sins." 1Peter 4:8

22-Jan-23
^ I don't always agree with 2Wild Bill but when I do. He's right. ;)

22-Jan-23
“My question for everyone is how would you feel if while hunting your private land a group of strangers came walking on line through your woods?”

It would depend on what they were doing and why. With tue fact pattern you outlined above, I would have no issue with it.

But tweekers…..

22-Jan-23
Would have been ticked at first sight of a person walking around while I was hunting, but would have asked questions to find out what they were doing before jumping down their throats. After talking I would have helped them any way I could.

22-Jan-23
I have been on many searches like this, most for armed or dangerous subjects. Never had an issue with anyone. Usually, most people when they see a group of armed officers, usually with a K9 are helpful and provide any information and get out of the area too.

As others have said when searching for a missing endangered are more than happy to help. Most cases it is very helpful as they usually know the area better then the search crew.

With the expanded use of drones with flir and night vision has help tremendously with such searches also

22-Jan-23
Deer hunting vs finding lost kids, seriously? Find those kids!

22-Jan-23
I can't imagine anyone would be upset under those circumstances. Even if you spooked a big deer that about to be in range. Hell I doubt you would find a hunter that would have been hunting if they knew they could be looking for a couple lost kids.

22-Jan-23
I agree 100% that the missing kids take precedent, it was a unique circumstance for me and I am glad everything turned out positive. A drone was brought in and helped in locating the area the kids were in. The kids, I say kids they were more like young teenagers started to return on their own, I guess the cold was getting to them and they were picked up on a road leading back into town.

22-Jan-23
What Catscratch said.

22-Jan-23
Glad those kids were OK.

I think most people would join the search or help out anyway they could, at least people I know would. Someone would have to be a real prick to get mad in that situation in my opinion.

22-Jan-23
The answer is kind of a no brainer.

22-Jan-23
From a practical perspective, If the sheriff said it's OK, he won't be writing any trespassing tickets.

Glad they were fine. What do you do in that situation as a parent? Beat thier asses, talk it out or both. I suppose, it depends.

22-Jan-23
That's a good question grasshopper, I was curious if the parents received a bill for all the resources used. Two days of searching with multiple law enforcement agencies, fire departments and an outside agency with a drone. I never did ask or hear what happened afterwards. I guess as a parent I would just be happy to have my child home and safe.

22-Jan-23
I wouldn't care about my hunt..children are way more important..no Brainer

23-Jan-23
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate here. Since they are coordinating a search and know where they are heading. There is no reason they couldn't give advance contact to landowners they haven't been to. Just make an effort. If they can't get a hold of the landowner just proceed. Not only could it avoid someone being pissed. It could avoid someone getting shot at. There are a few landowners just in my area of WI that I wouldn't be surprised if they took a shot at a "trespasser".

That said. I would not be upset at all and would join in the search. That is once I found out why there was a line of people traipsing around my property. I can say my first reaction might not be so pleasant. That is why they should at least attempt to contact landowners. It could actually save time, which is valuable in these situations.

23-Jan-23
“I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate here. Since they are coordinating a search and know where they are heading. There is no reason they couldn't give advance contact to landowners they haven't been to. Just make an effort. If they can't get a hold of the landowner just proceed.”

Devil’s advocate - you are suggesting that delaying the start of the search for 2 young children when the temperatures are dropping into the low-teens makes sense because you believe the courtesy afforded by pre-notifying private landowners is more important than doing everything possible to ensure the safety of the kids?

26-Jan-23
How would someone that's NOT actually doing the searching but part of the coordinating calling ahead to not yet searched areas delay? I worded that pretty plainly in my post. I also said make an effort. If they don't easily get in contact with the landowner, at least they made an effort.

26-Jan-23
John and T-Roy x2

26-Jan-23
"How would someone that's NOT actually doing the searching but part of the coordinating calling ahead to not yet searched areas delay?"

Pretty easily, unless you think that a) coordinating the search, and b) coordinating the search while simultaneously researching property ownership, finding the property owner's phone numbers, and making calls to those property owners can be done in the same amount of time. Agree to disagree, but it sounds like you are proposing to slow down a "need to have" to add in a "nice to have".

26-Jan-23
Agree, no brainer.

27-Jan-23
Pretty easily, unless you think that a) coordinating the search, and b) coordinating the search while simultaneously researching property ownership, finding the property owner's phone numbers, and making calls to those property owners can be done in the same amount of time. Agree to disagree, but it sounds like you are proposing to slow down a "need to have" to add in a "nice to have".

Yes I'm sure it would probably slow it down because they would only have one person that could be running things from a operating base/control center. Like I also said. Not notifying people could also slow things down.

27-Jan-23
Gheez man, it’s missing kids. Is this even debatable?

27-Jan-23
Fuzzy nailed it. I'd be on the line looking.

27-Jan-23
I'd be helping with the search.

27-Jan-23
A lot goes out the window in an emergency situation. I’m an officer on a volly department so Iv been in these types of situations and have never seen a time when a hunter we came across didn’t ask if he could end his hunt to help.

27-Jan-23
I am thankful for the firefighters and law enforcement for what they do in these situations. I would think to ask landowner permission. I have friends on the fire department in my town and nearby towns. One cold winter night a man visiting the area had broken his leg in the late afternoon about three miles from the road. Luckily a hiker with a cell phone found him. The rescue squad and firefighters jumped into action and spent until nearly midnight they got the guy in an ambulance. I asked my firefighter friend if a bill was sent. He said they never think of billing someone in this situation. We are lucky to have neighbors with this attitude. Badger: Thank you for what you do.

27-Jan-23
If burning down my house saved a kids life I'd be for it. Trespassing on my property is so minor in convenience that isn't even a question.

27-Jan-23
As most here, I would get out start helping.

28-Jan-23
cant law enforcement notify people via an amber/silver alert?

• Sitka Gear