BOWUNTR 15-Mar-24
Canepole 15-Mar-24
boothill 15-Mar-24
Gunny 15-Mar-24
llamapacker 15-Mar-24
DRR324 15-Mar-24
Shiloh 15-Mar-24
23-Jan-23
Has anyone on here tried Starlink? I know the overall size is bigger than a sat phone or inReach but it also has more capabilities. I currently have an inReach and have mixed feelings about it. We've discussed going to a sat phone but this would have more application possibilities if it worked well. Thoughts?

23-Jan-23
For what purpose? Your not going to be backpacking starlink into the back country. That where you use a Inreach or sat phone.

23-Jan-23
I'm not real concerned about weight. I use a 4 wheeler and boat to access most locations.

23-Jan-23
We have starlink at our guest ranch. Works great. Get the app on your phone that tells you if your area can receive it first. Cant get it lots of places.

23-Jan-23
Used in Kodiak worked great. Text or phone.

23-Jan-23
Starlink at our remote cabin works great. For packability into remote areas, I use the Iridium Go. I try to escape once in a while, but sadly I do still need to be available if something needs dealing with. The Iridium Go offers that flexibility.

23-Jan-23
Do any of you use starlink for home internet?

23-Jan-23
I now live in the third world state of Oklahoma. Has anyone been using this for home internet? Wife couldn't get out of the garage the other morning due to no power. She wasn't sure if she just needed to pull the cord to release the door. She couldn't call me cause you can't make a phone call without the piss poor internet we do have here. Ya this state really sucks so far.

23-Jan-23
I have Starlink for home internet, works great!

23-Jan-23
Scrappy, move your unhappy ass back to Iowa is my suggestion!

23-Jan-23
LIKE^^^^

23-Jan-23
Come on down to Texas Scrappy. You know what they say……”You can always tell a Texan, but you can’t tell him much”. ;-)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. My son has Starlink for his home internet and he’s about 80% satisfied I’d say. They are in the process of burying fiber in his neck of the woods so I imagine he will ditch the Starlink once that’s in.

23-Jan-23
We have had it the for the past month. We are currently under the "best effort" plan. With our Frontier internet, we paid for 6mbps but usually got around 2-4. Starlink has averaged 50-100. rarely gets below 10-15. It has been a great addition. I think we had to wait 8-9 months.

23-Jan-23
Ours is working well, but, getting a "clear view" required some ingenuity.

Has a "snow and ice" detection, that allows it to heat up, but, sometimes it's quicker to "stow" the dish, causing it to retreat to a vertical position, to dump snow off it (easily accomplished with your cell phone).

The snow/ ice thing, is the only thing that has caused temporary outages. Here's my install video:

23-Jan-23
Oops, I thought everyone that lives in Oklahoma new it is a third world state.

Drycreek I am a Texan so that might have something to do with it.

Sorry if I ruffled some oky feathers.

23-Jan-23
Scrappy do you know why it is always so windy in OK? It because Texass sucks and Kansas blow! ;)

How much power is required for starlink? Can it be run for a significant amount of time off a battery? If so what type of battery? Generator? Does it take much time to boot up if it is powered down? How hard is it to find a signal? I have tried to find a signal before with a satellite dish before it can be challenging and once you do you don't want to move it again.

23-Jan-23
We live in the CO mountains and Starlink is outstanding. We get up to 170 Mbps and it is super reliable. The "dish" is heated so it never ices up. Compared to the supposed 60 meg we were supposed to get from CenturyLink after their fiber extension, which was actually about 2 meg, Starlink is a dream.

23-Jan-23
"How much power is required for starlink"?

Runs on 110V.

"Can it be run for a significant amount of time off a battery? If so what type of battery?"

I guess you'd need an inverter, to produce 110

" Generator"?

If your generator is running the circuit, your Starlink will be up!

"Does it take much time to boot up if it is powered down"?

Whole cycle takes about 5 minutes

"How hard is it to find a signal"?

You just need a clear view of the sky, with minimal obstructions (see my video above). It will lock in Satellites very quickly.

23-Jan-23
Thanks Jeffrey. One more question. How feasible would it be to use for truck type camping. Would a battery on a inverter last a significant about of time or would you need to have a generator?

23-Jan-23
I have Starlink internet for my house. It’s fantastic. No interruptions, fast, reliable. Had Centurylink and they were terrible! Tried to get Xfinity and they wanted over 5k to run a line to our house! Starlink was really easy to setup. I suggest buying the extended mount for placing on the side of a house. It needs a clear view of the sky. On the app it will show you the best place to install it. Best choice we ever made for internet service.

24-Jan-23

elkmtngear's Link
John, I found this article, scroll down to the part that asks "is Starlink worth it for RVs and CamperVans"?

15-Feb-23
Thanks everyone for the info.

15-Feb-23
I have it for my RV. It works great except during peak hours when the RV version gets deprioritized and speed slows from really fast to sometimes around 3 to 6 MBPS. This usually starts at around 6:00 PM and stops around 9:00 PM. The home version can be made to work for an RV but for some areas the home version isn’t an available so the RV version can be the only option. Additionally, the RV version comes with a 75’ cord and a stand. I purchased a 150’ cord but haven’t needed to use it to get a clear view of the sky. Lastly, unlike TV satellites which orbit south of the US, the Starlink cluster is generally found from overhead to the northeast. I’ve never had an issue getting hooked up quickly and during our last trip we moved regions/locations about 8 times.

15-Feb-23
i have it for home internet also here in wisconsin and agree it is absolutely great

13-Mar-24
Starlink sure has been generating a lot of buzz lately, hasn't it? While I haven't personally given it a try, I've heard some pretty intriguing things about its capabilities compared to traditional satellite phones or inReach devices. It seems like it could offer a wider range of applications and potentially better performance in certain scenarios.And hey, if you do decide to take the plunge, don't forget that there are resources out there to help you along the way. For example, sites like routerctrl.com offer handy tips and troubleshooting advice for dealing with tech issues, whether it's a xfinity router blinking orange or something else entirely.

14-Mar-24
I had crap service with it. And it was the $2500.00 business system. They keeping sending me new cables and modems and never did make work. They finally offered me a $500.00 refund and send back the system. And yes we used their app for best placement and had videos showing no trees or anything else blocking signal.

14-Mar-24
I guess that different folks have different experiences for whatever reason. We use the service at our kennel location and have so far had a very good experience with it.

14-Mar-24
I use Starlink to power 3 lodges and piggyback on my brother's Starlink at the lake. Between, home, office and these incredibly remote locations, Starlink is the best internet in my life.

14-Mar-24
Works great for me. It's the only option for high speeds at our cabin. I have the plan that has no address associated with it and take it with me in my RV when traveling. Last week I worked from Gulf Shore, AL. It is finiky with placement of the reciever; trees are often an obsical, but I have not found that to be insurmountable (yet).

15-Mar-24
It has worked 100% Awesome for us at 8000' in the mountains.

15-Mar-24
I've had it for over a year. Zero issues and 100% satisfaction. Ed F

15-Mar-24
Scrappy, I'll just say that I'm sorry for your neighbors!

15-Mar-24
We have it at our cabin in the Colorado mountains and love it so far. Absolutely no issues with the easy installation or performance so far. Our neighbors have a different satellite internet system and currently have no service due to the fact they can't reach the antenna to clean off the snow. You don't have that problem with the Starlink system.

15-Mar-24
I just had it installed 3 weeks ago/ I live on a rural farm and was really tired of crappy hot spot service. Works great so far.

I assume the local broadband will come through next week because I finally pulled the trigger on Star Link.

15-Mar-24
I have the portable version for my RV. Love it, and it works really well. Biggest drawback is the required 110V. I put a small inverter on my battery and plug it into that. Requires about 50-60 watts, so my solar panel keeps the battery topped off during the day. If I run it for long at night, I might start the generator every few hours to top off the battery as I am probably using other lights etc., but rarely a problem. It is too big to easily transport while on an ATV but sets up quickly beside the camper and works great. Bill

15-Mar-24
I also have it for home internet service, 100% satisfied. Even if Charter or other "cable" services were to come into my "back 40" lake subdivision of 6 homes- I wouldn't switch.

15-Mar-24
Works great in MS. I have the mobile unit and use it for my home. If we travel in the motorhome it can go with us.

• Sitka Gear