orionsbrother 28-Jan-23
standswittaknife 28-Jan-23
Bow Bullet 02-Feb-23
jordanathome 02-Feb-23
Jaquomo 02-Feb-23
Groundhunter 02-Feb-23
25-Jan-23
Best comments of the night….

“If the DOW can’t manage the issue with elk calf recruitment now, what’s your plan once wolves are on the ground”

“ We didn’t vote for this, Denver voted for this”

“Why would ranchers pay for your wolves to eat our livestock”

The theme of the night was “compensation” and “funding” without a doubt.

Only in the US can we waste so much money.

25-Jan-23
Guy speaking at 1:35:15ish knocked it out the park as well.

25-Jan-23
Will the meeting be on their YouTube channel?

25-Jan-23

Cazador's Link
Right here

25-Jan-23
Interesting, one prowolfer called the lethal killing of wolves if allowed , "Trophy Hunting."

One Commissioner, called lethal killing of wolves, "Recreational hunting". if allowed

If the lethal killing of wolves was allowed, I would label that, "Management hunting", using hunting as a management tool to control Colorado's wolf population.

25-Jan-23
‘Lethal Killing’ - does that mean more dead than dead?

25-Jan-23
^^^ Exactly. Super dead.

25-Jan-23
Who’s going to pay for this?

“Only in the US can we waste so much money.” Nailed it!

License fees will certainly be considered regardless if they remove otc elk tags and or adjust resident / nonresident tag allocations.

Pretty sure the majority of folks in favor of this “reintroduction” won’t be ponying up.

25-Jan-23
Interesting to hear the guy talk about DAU E-20 (GMU 61/62) The population objective for last 10 years has been 8,500 elk. Post 2021 hunt elk numbers are around 12,000, 25% above objective. They are recommending to just increase the objective numbers up to 11/12,000 instead of issuing more tags to help reduce the herd to objective. Couldn’t possibly issue a few more tags in 61. Would be way to courteous to the peasants.

25-Jan-23
The ballot initiative 114 states that hunting and fishing licenses revenue will not be used for wolf reintroduction. Funding will come from the State General Fund and other donations. Estimated cost of this project is 2.5 - 3 million $$ per year or more. The Colorado General Assemble needs to pass a new bill to authorize these funds. Some funding early on, have been available for the early start of the project. According to the DNR dept, the Legislature is aware of this funding issue and it is on their radar for this year. I would hope that funding would be allocated in at least 5 year blocks to assure reliable funding at the start of this huge project.

25-Jan-23
Ok, so nothing from license revenue. Who funds the States General Fund?

This is going to cost Colorado more than money.

26-Jan-23
All Colorado tax payers, that includes those that voted NO and those that hunt and fish.

26-Jan-23
Crazy. Those of us living and hunting in areas of lots of wolves know what happens. Wolves simply have to be managed or controlled, whatever term you want to use. We can live with wolves, but not uncontrolled. Simple fact. My good friend, a wolf biologist, (that of course wants to keep his job), was on a summer back pack, scouting trip with me in Colorado where they planned to hunt, said Colorado will have real problems with wolves once planted there. Both cattle on National Forest permits and elk and deer. Most of you Bowsiters realize that. Just have to let it play out I guess. Another reason I say I'm glad as old as I am, as well as some of those other issues that used to dominate thread space on here that are now banned, thank goodness. Think I'll pour another glass of Smoking Loon and continue looking at threads. Oh, archery related, I was at the Club range and shot tonight. We have an awesome indoor range.

26-Jan-23

Whocares's embedded Photo
Our range tonigjt
Whocares's embedded Photo
Our range tonigjt

26-Jan-23
I thought there were some very good points made by ranchers and sportsman at that event.

Haskett actually sounded like she was on our side for once. We shall see.

28-Jan-23

Bow Bullet's Link
Saw this posted over on HT.

28-Jan-23
Thanks for posting that Brad. I sent a copy to the CBA BOD. Paul

28-Jan-23
““Essentially, all professional wolf biologists and managers interviewed for this report stated that some form of wolf harvest will be a critical future management tool in Colorado, only after wolf populations meet specific recovery criteria. It is recommended that the Commission, agency and stakeholders discuss potential for post-recovery wolf harvest early on in the planning process, even though any potential harvest may be a long time in the future and ultimately may remove very few wolves.”

Look at Wisconsin. “…after wolf populations meet specific recovery criteria…”

The wolf population will blow past the specific recovery criteria. The wolf population will be undercounted. The undercounted number will be multiples of the specific recovery criteria number. Then… when they grow weary of complaints and legal challenges because the undercounted number exceeds the specific recovery criteria number by several times over… they simply remove the number.

28-Jan-23
Exactly..I’m glad the mentioned it but nothing will happen when it’s time. I’m just in the other side of the west slope and they’ll be here at some point.. sucks

02-Feb-23

Bow Bullet's Link
Here is the howlforwildlife calendar. Three more CPW meetings coming up plus a Sportsmen's meeting on Feb 21st for Howl to take input.

02-Feb-23
Nothing better than a super dead wolf........

02-Feb-23
Hidden in the fine print of the statute is the clause that wolves must be considered non game species, so unless the legislature changes it, lethal control will not be an option no matter how many thousand wolves we are blessed with.

Colorado is SO screwed. In many ways, I'm glad I got to experience the glory days of bowhunting here, before this brewing mess with wolves and license allocations became reality.

02-Feb-23
The bottom line in Colorado the wolves will win.... Like the UP, stay quiet and handle it..

• Sitka Gear