Earltex 07-Feb-23
TEmbry 07-Feb-23
Bou'bound 24-Sep-23
kota-man 24-Sep-23
caribou77 26-Sep-23
njbuck 26-Sep-23
Treeline 26-Sep-23
27-Jan-23
Trying to book my first sheep hunt. Looking at booking for 2024 if I can find availability.

27-Jan-23
Unfortunately you will not find any of the “top” outfitters with 2024 openings. Probably want to be aiming at 2026 or 27 for most.

As far as the best outfitter for YOU then you probably need to give more info, if you just want names try Gana River, Canol, and Jonah Stewart. I’m pretty sure none of them have 24 or even 25 archery spots though. Or call BSC…

—Jim

27-Jan-23
Nahanni Butte did fine for me but as Jim said you’d be looking at least 2025 before openings. Good luck

27-Jan-23
Echoing Jim’s feedback, my research yielded a three year timeline (Aug-25 Brooks Range) Note, I did need to reserve two spots - just one may be an advantage. Fyi, Alaska was a specific focus of mine and solely focused on sheep (vs combo). With regards to research/strategy I read every sheep thread I could find and reached-out to those in our bowhunting community with direct experience. Their feedback was greatly beneficial and appreciated.

27-Jan-23
I’d look at Yukon Big Game Outfitters. Their moose hunting is incredible too.

27-Jan-23
Try looking at bowhunter safari they did good for me

27-Jan-23
I'd vote for an outfitter in the Mackenzie Mts of the NWT. Arrowed one with Canol...excellent hunt 5 yrs ago. There are archery rams taken every year with Arctic Red, Gana and Lancaster's outfits too. Have heard Raven's Throat is NOT taking any bowhunters, but have not personally confirmed that. I think sheep numbers are decent in the Mackenzies and resident hunters about non-existent, both recipes for a decent hunt and and opportunity with the bow.

As per the Yukon outfitters, maybe Tom Foss can weigh in...he has 5 archery grand slams.

Kotaman has experience with quite a few outfitters too.

27-Jan-23
Add Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters to Kurt's list. Highly recommend.

27-Jan-23
Backpack, horse, helicopter? Need to decide what type of adventure you are after and if you want archery or rifle. Those two will help narrow it down.

27-Jan-23
I’ve contacted Ravens Throat.

Taking no more Bowhunters as of two weeks ago when I spoke with them.

27-Jan-23
If money is no problem, Canada is your place. As Earltex stated, MMO is really a good outfit. I went the AK route with my rifle in 2013 and got a hard-earned ram in the Alaska Range. When I was at sheep show that year, we talked to a couple of big wigs on the board who are not allowed to give recommendations. However, my father was there for his FNAWS award and wanted me to get off on the right foot on a quality hunt. MMO was their recommendation.

I went the AK route with a guy who was not the best at marketing but a family friend who is a great hunter (and contributor on here) had favorable things to say. For $8K, I was his first hunter in 2013 for the August 10 opener. To this day, I tell him if he's still $8K, I'll go every year with him!

I have a lot of doctor friends and to them, time is worth more than money and they cannot afford to do 2-3 trips to connect. They are better off spending more money for the best hunt right out of the gate. I tell all of them, Canada is the place for that. AK is less expensive for a reason.

27-Jan-23
Had a great hunt with MMO. So good that I’m taking my son back next year.

27-Jan-23
I’ve contacted Ravens Throat.

Taking no more Bowhunters as of two weeks ago when I spoke with them.

27-Jan-23
Ditto to what Kurt said on the Mackensies. I have not heard on a negative on any of them Confirmed Ravens not taking archery was scheduled to go there first until they changed policy to no archery

I did archery with Gana in 21. They were excellent

27-Jan-23
The established outfitters in the McKenzies are all great. I’ve hunted with Jonah Stewart in AK a couple times. He was great. Ultima Thule in AK is awesome, but the wait is LONG. If I was gonna do another right now in Canada, I’d be calling Glenda at Canol. That is not to slight the others but that’s where I’d go now.

27-Jan-23
If you are archery hunting, first and foremost I would focus on finding a guide that has a good track record with archery hunters. Outfitter is secondary. In my last hunt wanted Rob Aasen as my guide. He happened to be working for Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters. Win win.

27-Jan-23
Earltex…Rob is now at Yukon Peak. I’m hunting with him again in August!

28-Jan-23

28-Jan-23
I had a great hunt with Rob, at Yukon Peak. I used gun not bow

04-Feb-23
More information would be helpful-

Archery only? This will limit options

Budget? Better odds in more expensive areas, Canada for sure

Physical Fitness? Do you want a backpack hunt? Horses? Helicopter?

Overall sheep numbers are suffering , especially in Alaska

04-Feb-23
I see the reference to helicopter hunts with the connotation that they are easy. In my limited experience with them on one Dall hunt in the NWT I'd say you better be ready to backpack quite a bit even if the starting point was a helicopter drop off many miles from basecamp....in the old days likely a horseback pack in of several days.

04-Feb-23
On my hunt (with Rob) I was dropped on the river in the NWT via helicopter. We hiked from there. I think some envision being dropped on a mountain top. Not saying some don’t drop hunters in advantageous spots, but it wasn’t the case with MMO.

05-Feb-23
Helicopters do make it a lot easier to spot game, to be placed relatively closer than other options, and way faster to change areas if needed, and virtually cuts the pack out to nothing. (Which in my experience is the toughest part! Especially solo with a whole sheep!!)

Not saying it’s a guarantee but there are definitely advantages, but usually more cost.

07-Feb-23
Wilderness, you can only use a chopper in the NWT. If you do not live in the NWT then you have to hire a guide and so you would not be packing out a sheep solo.

07-Feb-23
My point is that choosing a helicopter hunt has advantages over backpack hunts, and even though can still be physically demanding, it is still less demanding than other style hunts

One style of hunt being a solo backpack sheep hunt in AK - based on personal experience!

07-Feb-23
John is a helicopter sheep hunt easier than an Africa high fence hunt?

07-Feb-23
Why is it triggering to some when mentioning that helicopters substantially cut down on effort levels on a hunt? Wouldn’t that simply be common sense? It’d be naive to expect a helicopter to make a sheep hunt easy on the physical exertion scale but it’s equally naive to make it seem as though it would be equal to backpacking in the entire way.

We are currently planning out New Zealand for chamois and tahr and I will 100% be booking a helicopter for that reason. Access to more remote areas without the two days of running yourself ragged walking to that starting point from the road/lodge.

24-Sep-23

24-Sep-23
I had a FANTASTIC hunt with Rob at Yukon Peak this year. Things have DEFINATELY changed in the “Dall space” since this original post. Yukon Peak and Ruby Range in the Yukon are “sleepers” in the Dall world right now, but as was seen since this original post, it can all change in a year. I still wouldn’t be afraid of NWT for an archery hunt. Ak is tough right now but guys like Jonah are still getting it done but it’s tough.

26-Sep-23
I hunted with Widrig outfitters this fall. ( caribou/grizzly) they went 100% on their 16 sheep tags this fall. All rifle and no giants…. But those are good numbers. I agree with Kota as it’s always changing. Last year the same outfit went roughly 50%.

26-Sep-23
I went with Nahanni this past July and everyone in camp tagged out. First class operation and I wouldn't hesitate to go with them in a heartbeat.

26-Sep-23
My hunt with Gana River was as good as it could get. Spectacular in all respects. Bet the wait list is long though…

• Sitka Gear