wytex 03-Feb-23
wyobullshooter 03-Feb-23
wyobullshooter 03-Feb-23
wytex 04-Feb-23
27-Jan-23

standswittaknife's Link
Wyo loves the revenue from outta staters but hates outta staters

27-Jan-23
There not out just have to wait for the three day resident head start. Quit whining if you don't like it don't hunt there

27-Jan-23
There's a reason why there is "hate' toward out-of-staters. It's explained in the article. Mostly residents of one state in particular who's behavior has brought this about. Not saying I agree or disagree, but there is ...

27-Jan-23
^^^ wouldn't be YouTah would it?

27-Jan-23
Orion.. that’s why the ? was there.. and it has nothing to do with hunting. Has everything to do with punishing nr’s but loving the cash they bring in annually. Colorado is no different.

27-Jan-23
No worries for this year.

“”Bill still must navigate three readings on the House floor, a Senate committee hearing and then three readings in the upper chamber. If it passes it’ll take effect July 1, which would make the May 1, 2023 shed antler opener the last of the unregulated era.”””

27-Jan-23
Funny

28-Jan-23
I understand the sentiment behind this. I’ve seen the absolute shitshow that shed hunting became….especially in western states. Like most things, the root cause is the exponential increase in those who monetize wildlife in one form or another. It’s still disappointing to see the need for shed hunting seasons because of selfishness and stupidity.

28-Jan-23
With the price of antler dog chews over $40 a pound now, no wonder it became a shit show..

28-Jan-23
Shed horns = participation trophies?

28-Jan-23
This was in the article...."The rush for antlers “is a problem,” Johnson said. “It’s a moneymaker. People are making $60,000 a year on the collection of shed antlers.”

Is that really possible? that should generate some interest in heading to Wyoming.

28-Jan-23

Lost Arra's Link
I heard this guy on Rinellas podcast. It sure doesn't sound like it's as much fun as taking my granddaughter to walk a fence line looking for a single shed although she prefers finding molting turkey feathers (more treasure to find)

29-Jan-23
Huntcell, absolutely. That's why these organized commercial shed hunting gangs are becoming such a problem. For them, it's a job. Game wardens are chipping visible antlers out in the field before the season opens and busting people for going in at night.

With the price of antlers continuing to rise, pressure will grow. Wouldn't surprise me if some are making six figures.

Then again, a young teenage girl in my town is making more than a million bucks a year posting short videos of herself slowly chewing cookies, and brushing her teeth.

29-Jan-23
Around here you can shed hunt anytime you want. The farmers like it because shed antlers can be hard on tractor tires.

29-Jan-23
Funny how some guys will pick up a truck load raghorn sheds but be damned if they will shoot a raghorn

29-Jan-23
^^^ there's no glory in a hunter-hero pic with a raghorn.

29-Jan-23
“Then again, a young teenage girl in my town is making more than a million bucks a year posting short videos of herself slowly chewing cookies, and brushing her teeth.“

You’re watching this? :)

29-Jan-23
Quinn, I pay her $1500 to do a private video of herself slowly chewing deer jerky and sharpening a broadhead. Really relaxing!

02-Feb-23
Always wondered, if you were going to hunt federal land why the state was involved anyway. Bass ackwards.

02-Feb-23
Because regardless of where you hunt, what you hunt is entrusted to the residents of that state, so you play by their rules.

02-Feb-23
Why in the hell would you want the feds involved anyway?

02-Feb-23
Are detached head bones still entrusted to residents by law?

02-Feb-23
KB, at this time there is some debate concerning shed antlers. This paragraph from standswithaknife’s link explains in a nutshell the purpose of this proposed bill.

“If HB 123 becomes law, the statute change would give the Wyoming Game and Fish Department ownership over shed antlers on public land. That’s important, Sommers said, because currently the state’s shed hunting seasonal restrictions are on legally “shaky ground.””

02-Feb-23
Thanks. I should have read the full article. Figured there was some gray area there.

03-Feb-23
"Always wondered, if you were going to hunt federal land why the state was involved anyway. Bass ackwards."

These statements just baffle me and show how little people try to or want to learn how things work.

03-Feb-23
^^^^ wth?

You must be selling antlers Hornhustler? This bill is from elected officials not the commissioners. It's not about making money either, it's about the pressure on some wintering areas after antlers drop. And yes, I guess some residents are mad about too many NR taking antlers out of state to sell. More so on the West side.

03-Feb-23
What alternate world do you live in? WTH does spending money hunting in WY have to do with your “right” to shed hunting. Short answer…it doesn’t.

03-Feb-23
You didn’t answer the question. What does spending money hunting in WY have to do with your “right” to shed hunt?

As far as the “Reg of Fed land” you posted, all it refers to is a requirement for a deer license to collect shed antlers. That deer license would be issued and controlled by whatever state that it’s referring to. An exception would be if hunting on a military installation. Then you’d also need permission/permit from the installation commander. That isn’t the case concerning this bill.

04-Feb-23
Yep one of the plenty ways to do this is controlling NR access to shed hunting for a few days. Good thing NRs have no say in this. The permit idea is a good one, wish they had a way to charge more to the commercial guys, those just picking up to sell.

• Sitka Gear