TonyBear 31-Jan-23
Pat Lefemine 01-Feb-23
29-Jan-23

4nolz@work's embedded Photo
4nolz@work's embedded Photo

29-Jan-23

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
We were tasked with finding the solid rocket booster. The other salvage ship got the glory dives and retrieved the Crew cabin and the astronauts. We of course complained about how lame it was searching for salvaging the rocket booster. And we did eventually find and retrieve the the rocket O ring they suspected caused the failure.

29-Jan-23

We were tasked with finding the solid rocket booster. The other salvage ship got the glory dives and retrieved the Crew cabin and the astronauts. We of course complained about how lame it was searching for salvaging the rocket booster. And we did eventually find and retrieve the the rocket O ring they suspected caused the failure.

29-Jan-23
Very interesting AS!

29-Jan-23
Definitely a sad day. Like when JFK was shot, another one of those days I’ll always remember where I was and what I was doing when the news broke.

29-Jan-23
I was in 8th grade and we were actually watching it live on a roll in TV in my science class. I was stunned, our science teacher and many of my class mates broke down crying. I'll never forget that day.

29-Jan-23
I remember exactly where I was at, that sad day.

29-Jan-23
I was in Limnology class at Michigan State University.

29-Jan-23
lim·nol·o·gy

the study of the biological, chemical, and physical features of lakes and other bodies of fresh water.

You are welcome. Paul

29-Jan-23
I was underway on a WestPac. Sad day for sure.

29-Jan-23
I’m not nitpicking, but I believe it was January 28.

30-Jan-23
Just looked it up. You are correct 70 lb. It was the 28th.

30-Jan-23
I was in Coastal SC driving a load of hazardous waste when the news report came on the radio. It was mid morning of the 28th I believe, the truck was a 9000 series Ford with a box body and lift gate, my partner Chemist on the job was named Paul Evans. We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Wrightsville Beach the night before. Hadn't stopped for breakfast yet just coffee at the motel. Funny how events like this lock in details of memory.

30-Jan-23
OK 28th

I reposted a memory that popped up on my FB feed.

30-Jan-23
Thanks Paul.

31-Jan-23
So sorry for the crew of the Challenger and the Columbia. As a safety professional, these scenarios are both studied as the bad examples of what happens when other priorities are put ahead of safety. I remember the exact hour and day where I was when Challenger exploded. Should have never happened. God speed those souls.

01-Feb-23
Like many of you, I remember that day vividly. I also remember Reagan's speech. It was one of the best, comforting speeches I ever heard by a President. He was the best.

Altitude, I don't know if you got the bad end of the deal. I don't think I'd want the other job. I didn't even know they were recovered? I always thought they burned up in explosion.

01-Feb-23
Pat, I unfortunately I was involved in much worse recoveries over the years in the Navy. That was just one of those high exposure events every one wanted to be a part of.

The DC Potomac River plane crash, Flight 800 and other highly visible Salvage ops. We’re the ones that got a lot of media attention But Many no one ever knew about.

We all were told to not discuss anything with the media and of course didn’t. But a quick internet search will tell you everything about the condition of the crew cabin and astronauts. But to keep it tasteful it was no different than any normal plane crash recovery. They reached well over 60,000 feet and some of the emergency breathing canisters were activated. Some could not reach their canisters. And finding the canisters was a high priority for the forensics team.

But they were either killed by the cabin being exposed to 60,000 feet of altitude suddenly. And some were killed by the impact. The cabin was intact when it hit the water. All astronauts were accounted for.

• Sitka Gear