deserthunter 31-Jan-23
Shrewski 02-Feb-23
Knothead 02-Feb-23
sticksender 16-Feb-23
bigbuck 16-Feb-23
Medicinemann 16-Feb-23
StickFlicker 16-Feb-23
30-Jan-23
I have no expectation of ever winning one of these raffles, but much of the proceeds go towards causes that I wish to support. However, now I see that you must be in the state at the time of the purchase of the raffle ticket(s). Is this to increase the odds of a resident winning the raffle? I really don't care, if that is how they wish to run it....but I would think that they will miss out on a lot of NR raffle ticket monies.....seems curious in this day and age of online purchases.....

30-Jan-23
I think that’s just for the jaws and paws raffle isn’t it?

I won a $1000 vortex scope in the monthly drawings as part of the Arizona super raffle. I wasn’t in the state

30-Jan-23
I believe that this is a new condition just initiated this year. When you enter your credit card information to apply for some tickets, directly below where you would enter your credit card data, it specifically states "I confirm that I am at least twenty one (21) years of age or older, am currently present in the state of Arizona and have read, understand, and agree to abide by the rules." Then again, I wonder how many people really read the disclaimer. If the online purchase is from out of state, I'm guessing that they will simply refuse to honor the winning ticket (while keeping the proceeds, as I am certain that all ticket sales are final)......?

30-Jan-23
They changed a lot about the raffle this year and not for the better IMO. Was one of my favorite raffles loved the bonus drawings and always bought $100 in tickets a month for the entire 5-6 month period it was open. Sucks but there's plenty of other raffles that go to worthy causes. Anyone looking for a new place to take their money I'd suggest the Bighorn sheep Society's raffle great people and a good cause.

30-Jan-23
PushCo. I was thinking the same thing.....I'll just donate the money to another cause that I believe in......but including that condition sure seems like a poor decision to me. Do you have a link for Bighorn Sheep Society?

30-Jan-23

30-Jan-23
I have no idea why my computer generated multiple posts of the same comment.....

30-Jan-23
I’m just guessing but being president of a similar non profit type org I have a good guess as to why…. I’m guessing this was always a legal requirement for the state of Arizona. Every states gaming laws are vastly different and quirky at times. They likely added this disclaimer as a CYA but won’t be enforcing it themselves in all reality. Online gaming (aka raffles) was banned until recently for most states, luckily Alaska made an exception around the pandemic time and thankfully they passed legislation to allow it permanently moving forward. Some states have weird requirements that the sale must be in state, others require physical tickets be issued even if sold online and raffle is completed electronically.

It’s likely legislation that hasn’t caught up to technology and they are adding appropriate disclaimers to not put their gaming license at risk of being revoked.

30-Jan-23
Trevor, I'll bet that you are spot on. I noticed that Utah has similar language regarding their ticket sales now.....but Wyoming does not. Haven't been able to find out about Colorado yet. Hopefully, legislation will soon be updated to catch-up with technology....these raffles have been in effect for some time.....you'd think that they could have addressed this issue by now.....if your theory is correct.

31-Jan-23

Treeline's Link
Jake,

Pretty sure the Colorado Raffles are OK with anyone entering from anywhere. Here’s a link to the page showing the winners.

31-Jan-23
SCI and DU also have raffles,I won the CO statewide moose permit a few years back. Not a bad tag for $100.00. You can google big game raffles and find most of them

31-Jan-23
Man I am glad my wife and I have some time scheduled in AZ in April. That’s going to cut into a lot of the income, that’s too bad. Used to be just the Jaws and Paws portion. One of the guys that runs it told me they actually ping your phone to get a location, so it IS something that gets checked.

31-Jan-23

PushCoArcher's Link
TEmbry makes sense maybe someone finally called them out on it. Definitely going to hurt their bottom line. I also wonder how many will buy tags this year without reading the fine print? There's a link to the Bighorn sheep Society for anyone interested.

31-Jan-23
They can not ping your computer to see where it is. Just more lawyers getting rich off BS.

02-Feb-23
Wow. I just looked at the website to see ALL the changes. They jacked that up big time. Now they have 3 buying periods with 3-4 animals only available in each period. Looks like I will only be able to be in for deer and lion. That’s not at all what I want…

It is highlighted they are required to collect taxes on anything valued over $5000.

And yay, a bunch of crappy Texas hunts you can put in for any time unlike the ARIZONA tags that are the draw of the whole thing.

What are they thinking?!?

I bought a few tickets from RMBS yesterday and this looks like I will have more in the budget for them this year along with the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society.

02-Feb-23
Since I live in AZ, you guys can send me your money and phone# then I will buy tickets for you. If you win, I will give you a call and let you know.

16-Feb-23
Quote: "What are they thinking?!?"

Agree with you Shrewski. Historically, their raffle has been hands-down the most successful statewide raffle anywhere in the west, with I believe the highest dollar ticket sales of any raffle. I assume there's a new group administrating the raffle. Seems like it was a classic "if it ain't broke don't fix it" scenario.

16-Feb-23
Well i entered for many years but only have stepped foot in Arizona once in my life so they pretty much lost my 150 dollars now!!

16-Feb-23
It will be interesting to see if states like Colorado and Alaska follow Arizona's changes.......OR (after reading TEmbry's post) if Arizona changes some of their state regulations, and then follows the likes of Colorado and Alaska.....You would think that the second outcome would be more likely, as Arizona certainly would NOT want to lose additional raffle dollars, if some fairly benign changes in legislation could prevent it from happening in the future.

16-Feb-23
If it is indeed a state law that is causing them to do this, rather than a federal law that they are interpreting as requiring this change, don't expect them to change that any time soon. AZ has had a banking law preventing them from charging the full amount of the hunt permit fees at the time of drawing for a very long time (which causes huge numbers of extra applicants and higher draw odds), and they have made no attempt to change it. Of course, some will say that the example I'm mentioning benefits them due to extra application fees whereas the one in this thread is costing them money, but they swear they make no net revenue gain from application fees (of course government representatives say lots of things that aren't true).

• Sitka Gear