KHNC 06-Feb-23
Buckdeer 06-Feb-23
KHNC 06-Feb-23
Buckdeer 07-Feb-23
KHNC 07-Feb-23
fuzzy 07-Feb-23
Ok...Russ 20-Feb-23
03-Feb-23
Gonna be expensive this year!!!! Just picked up my supply. Dicalcium Phosphate was 41.99 for 50lb bag, Trace Mineral Sale was 11.99 and Dried Molasses 20.99. These prices are double from 2022. I cut back 150lbs from last year. The deer will have to deal with it. I got 100lbs of each to mix up. Ill freshen up my 3 sites again. Pretty good size pit going now at each site.

03-Feb-23
Yeah kinda strange. I batched up 3 sites here in Minnesota and they were hardly touched as well.

03-Feb-23
I am putting mine out tomorrow. I expect it to be hit by march or early april. The does waste no time coming to it. I imagine the molasses gets them interested. I get loads of buck pics by June/July when i get my cameras out again for the year.

03-Feb-23
I've read the summer months is when they are most interested in minerals. Once hard horns are established they loose interest.

03-Feb-23
I have used last several years , will camera on the spots . Was told by dairy farmer they use the dicalcium phosphate in feed mxture they use for feeding cows that they are milking . Just going by his remark makes since . I have does all summer on the minerals . By Labor Day I get very few pics on the minerals . Like a previous response ,once bucks have shed the velvet very few pics . I would think that milk production on does really slows down ,as the fawns are eating more vegetation. With the bucks ,since the antlers are formed ,maybe they don't crave the minerals . Just my curious mind working .

03-Feb-23
We wait until the ground thaws in March to refresh mineral sites. Add 50lbs of mix per site and that lasts all year. Does will hit them year round...bucks more in the summer months. Typically pull cameras off the sites around Labor Day.

03-Feb-23
^^^Similar to pav, other than I’ll usually only put out about 20 lbs out at a time, and refresh it 2-3 times during the spring/summer, when I’m checking cards. Bucks in my area almost completely abandon them once they shed their velvet, and doe activity slows way down at that time, too. March seems to be when usage begins to increase.

03-Feb-23
I bought 3 bags of a beef mineral summer formula on clearance at local co-op last spring. Deer tore the ground up. One new spot was 3 foot in diameter and nearly a foot deep.

04-Feb-23
Dispense in the spring- Does need the salt to provide for healthy lactation for fawns. Other ingredients are good for growth and healthy antler development.

04-Feb-23

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I can’t afford that. I use a $15 block from my local feed store.

06-Feb-23
Those blocks are good for attracting and getting pics. Not sure if they have a lot of nutritional benefit. Also not sure Kelly's mix helps either. But Ill keep mixing it up and putting it out. My three sites are a lock for getting a pic of most of the bucks on my place in the summer months at least.

06-Feb-23
What happens to all the fawns that their mothers don't get some mixture with 50% salt.For sure it makes them drink more water

06-Feb-23
Finding water is easy on my farm. I always put minerals near a water source. Not sure exactly what you are getting at though.

07-Feb-23
Above they said that does need salt to provide lactation to fawns.I don't follow that and the only reason the salts in mix is to get them to eat some very small amount.Look at the amount we give cattle and the main reasons are medicinal and help with insects .But the amounts are alot more and it's a congregated herd not a single deer walking by and getting a few grams of salt.High protein feed would do more if fed on a steady basis.Deer don't want mineral year round thats why they use more in spring and summer which is again driven by the salt.

07-Feb-23
Are you saying deer dont benefit from a mineral site then?

07-Feb-23
All herbivores need salt. And yes it can aid in lactation because it promotes proper hydration.

20-Feb-23
KHNC, are all 3 ingredients in 50 lb bags? Trying to find some locally here in Oklahoma.

Update: Nevermind - found the original bowsite post where you mentioned 150lbs. Thx.

• Sitka Gear