pav 04-Feb-23
Straight Shooter 04-Feb-23
Straight Shooter 04-Feb-23
HUNT MAN 04-Feb-23
Scott/IL 04-Feb-23
Jasper 04-Feb-23
MathewsMan 04-Feb-23
03-Feb-23
Been retired a couple of years and am checking off a bucket hunt list each year. Did an antelope hunt in Wyoming last year, going back to WY for elk this September and am researching hunts for the next few years; one of which is a Kodiak deer hunt in 2024 or 25. I've been bow hunting over 50 years, am now 62 but am a fitness fanatic so I'm pretty good shape. Suggestions? Thanks!

03-Feb-23
I've been twice. First trip was a bust due to weather. Couldn't get out of Kodiak. We did shoot a ton of ducks and caught some fish.

Second trip was a fly-in lodge. Only group in camp, access to more country than we could hunt and lodging, meals, and boat transport provided. Good deer action but that seems to cycle with good and bad winters. Nice set-up for meat care and was a fun trip. Also took a 1/2 day off and we caught enough halibut and cod for everyone to have a big box to take home. Nice to just take your weapon and a duffel bag and not all the camping gear and food. Never saw another boat or people aside from an occasional plane flying over.

That was Kodiak Adventures Lodge.

03-Feb-23
Kodiak Combos in Old Harbor is a nice setup if you’re willing to hunt on your own each day and sleep in lodge at night. Boat transport daily to hunting areas with plenty of fishing while there. Lots of good options for fully guided as well.

03-Feb-23
We did homer ocean fun trip seen 9 bears hundred plus deer 20 caribou caught a ton of cod

03-Feb-23

03-Feb-23
That first trip sounds awful,Glunt.

03-Feb-23
Moose hunting...nothing better

04-Feb-23
Hunted with Rogue Expeditions out of Old Harbor this past November. Much like Glunt's first trip, bad weather prevented us from reaching our desired destinations. I chose the November hunt over August because I wanted to hunt the rut. Knew going in that weather could play a big factor...and it happened. That said, I plan to go back...and it will likely be another November hunt.

04-Feb-23
Most important tip: Don't assume the weather will be bright and sunny! Don't consider suicide when it rains.

Second Most Important Tip: Allow plenty of extra days. Don't assume you will fly on your scheduled dropoff/pickup days!

Everything else will fall into place if you remember these handy tips.

Pete

04-Feb-23
Ditto Pete!!!

"Don't assume you will fly on your scheduled dropoff/pickup days!"

04-Feb-23
Hey Paul, hope you are well, I think it’s been 5-6 years since MT. Would love to hear more about your experience, considering going for blacktail sometime soon.

DJ

04-Feb-23
Pete, we need to talk about this. Rick and I were just reminiscing about AK and would love to plan another trip.

DJ

04-Feb-23
IMO this is the best adventure for the money hands down!! Can’t wait to go back!!

04-Feb-23
We went the tent route in 2021 and had more adventure than we could have ever wished for. And then you throw in giant brown bears and ample deer opportunities for stalks on top of that, it’s just an amazing place.

Headed back again this year with 2 of my friends.

If I were planning it as a bucket list type hunt, I might lean towards a boat or lodge based trip…but watching your tent whip around and shred in winds stronger than anything I’ve ever seen certainly ups the adventure.

04-Feb-23
Thanks guys! Looking at a boat or lodge hunt, unguided. Don’t have to get back for work Pete so I got all kinds of extra days :)

If anyone is going in 2024, lodge or boat and needs an extra hunter or just wants to team up, shoot me a PM please

04-Feb-23

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I enjoyed the drop experience and have been 3 days delayed on each of my trips… I liked being unable to get off the island much more than no being able to get taken out to hunt.

• Sitka Gear